Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default Stirring up controversy

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :
I did try a cafetiere, but
it let fine grounds through, and I like to drain the mug and don't
like the last mouthful to be full of grounds.

As said, I use one of those machines with the hotplate and glass jug to
keep it warm. I don't mind the fine grounds which escape through the
filter, which land in the bottom of the cup. I buy Lidl's cheapest
ready ground coffee (Gold something), supplied tightly vacuum packed
and like a brick, carefully measured into the filter with a plastic
scoop. I have the water reservoir level viewer marked with a tape
arrow, so I always get the amount of water just right for two cups and
have china coffee cups reserved for the purpose - freebies from Esso
petrol from 40 years ago.

My ritual, is to leave the coffee machine lid up, turn it on, then wait
until it is gurgling well before putting the lid down. My theory is
that the initial gurgle will be circulating cold water into the filter.
Lid up, the water goes back in the reservoir.

If I am not too desperate for the first coffee, I like to leave it in
the jug on the hotplate, to gain a bit of extra heat. It cools down on
its way through the coffee grounds and filter.

Then a spoon of brown sugar and cream.