Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kind of OT, Sweats

"thescullster" wrote in message
I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Stooping requires energy to maintain as it isn't a natural posture.
All work done while stooping requires corespondingly more
energy as a consequence. Neither of which might be obvious
at the time.

The ambient temperture near the ceiling of a room on a warm
day is probably quite high and isn't not helped by a lack of
air circulation at that level. In the absence of a ceiling
fan at least,

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil

change of life
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Not since all the heart operations.
And goimg on te type II diets.

Seriously, get blood pressure and HBA/1C levels checked out and
cholesterol. Especially if there is breathless/fatigue in there too.

Thanks

Phil

--
The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've always sweated more than most, and it seems totally hit and miss. All I
can say is that when its very humid, the body is not good as removing heat,
since the air is saturated with water, and you cannot use evaporation to
cool yourself, So you sweat but it stays there and you get very hot and it
drips and the like. You are probably sweating the same amount but in the
cooler air it evaporates, cooling you down faster.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"thescullster" wrote in message
I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 21:59:25 +0100 (GMT+01:00), thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Stooped, so with top of body and head looking downwards but working
upwards to the ceiling is awkward. You'd be holding your body at
pecuilar angles and working against gravity. It's surprising how much
additional effort is required to work on a ceiling when you can't
stand up straight.

Add in that on a warm day ceiling height will be warm and without
door and window open, little air movement to evaporate your sweat to
cool you means one does get a bit sticky.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Not 'quickly' (I'm 64 btw).

If I was doing that sort of thing (and in this sort of temperature)
for say 20 minutes then the chances are the combination of the
temperature, humidity and exertion (irregular muscle use / posture)
would probably get me sweating ... but I don't think it would be
profusely (just head / mainly etc).

The other thing I was thinking is how well we can deal with that
situation seems to vary greatly between people. Like, the Mrs seem to
be very 'temperature unstable', sitting in a room at 20 DegC and
asking me if I'm hot and a short time later, with the room at the
exact same temperature, if I'm cold (because she now is).

Maybe it's many years of motorcycling and not wanting to keep stopping
to adjust my clothing for the optimal temperature has trained me to
deal with (put up with) a greater range than some without feeling the
need to dress differently?

I was out dog walking (7.5 miles) from about 2 till 8 (pm) yesterday
and just wearing a T shirt on top. I was 'warm' for most of it and had
a wet back from the daysack but at no point felt really hot or cold
(even when we stopped to talk to people in the evening etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:58:21 +0100, T i m wrote:

Not 'quickly' (I'm 64 btw).

snip
The other thing I was thinking is how well we can deal with that
situation seems to vary greatly between people. Like, the Mrs seem to
be very 'temperature unstable', sitting in a room at 20 DegC and
asking me if I'm hot and a short time later, with the room at the
exact same temperature, if I'm cold (because she now is).

Your missus might have another reason that depending on how much
younger she is...

Maybe it's many years of motorcycling and not wanting to keep stopping
to adjust my clothing for the optimal temperature has trained me to
deal with (put up with) a greater range than some without feeling the
need to dress differently?

You ceratinly get used to the normal temperature range that you
experience. Living at 1400' it's a good wooly jumper colder up here
than down nearer sea level. I find once the temperature gets above
low twenties it's getting "too hot", even if there is a bit of a
breeze.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil

When working with my head near a ceiling I would always start by
removing at least one layer of clothing. (If you do it once you're up
there people wolf whistle.)

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:33:54 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:58:21 +0100, T i m wrote:

Not 'quickly' (I'm 64 btw).

snip
The other thing I was thinking is how well we can deal with that
situation seems to vary greatly between people. Like, the Mrs seem to
be very 'temperature unstable', sitting in a room at 20 DegC and
asking me if I'm hot and a short time later, with the room at the
exact same temperature, if I'm cold (because she now is).

Your missus might have another reason that depending on how much
younger she is...

She's older Dave (I went for the 'mature woman' this time (70+)). ;-)

Maybe it's many years of motorcycling and not wanting to keep stopping
to adjust my clothing for the optimal temperature has trained me to
deal with (put up with) a greater range than some without feeling the
need to dress differently?

You ceratinly get used to the normal temperature range that you
experience. Living at 1400' it's a good wooly jumper colder up here
than down nearer sea level.

It's funny. When I was 16- and used to go and visit my girlfriend on
my moped you get to experience the 'outside more closely than you
would in a car or even cycling or walking (where you tend to warm
yourself up by the effort). Coming back late at night there were
several hollows where you could feel the temperature plummet for a
while and it would then feel positively warm on the other side. ;-)

I find once the temperature gets above
low twenties it's getting "too hot", even if there is a bit of a
breeze.

Yeah, I can cope up to about 25, as long as I'm not working *too* hard
but even if out on a long dog walk you can generally set the pace to
ensure you don't overheat, especially when in the direct sun and with
no breeze.

She can't cope as well with the hotter weather and partly why we have
never felt the need to go abroad to holiday.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 12:13, williamwright wrote:
On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
* dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
* height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
* of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
* extreme.* Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil

When working with my head near a ceiling I would always start by
removing at least one layer of clothing. (If you do it once you're up
there people wolf whistle.)

Yep, I'm very fit, but have been sweating doing wiring a couple of times
in last week.

Remove clothes = much better. A couple of days recently it as been
deceptively hot.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 13:20, R D S wrote:
On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
* dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
* height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
* of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
* extreme.* Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil

That was supposed to have a reply,

I'm the same, I have always sweat like a pig doing anything ceiling
based, as has been suggested could it be that much warmer up there?

I think the effort of constant reaching when doing lighting shouldn't be
underestimated too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Yup - particularly that combination of intense concentration while
working in an awkward position (which in my case being 6'3" is usually
somewhere closer to a floor rather than a ceiling - however light
fittings do present a particular challenge[1]).

I tend to sweat from the head primarily, but once its over mid 20's then
everywhere else! When doing that patio rebuild (especially on the days
in the late 20's early 30's), it was just a case of drinking pretty much
constantly to match the rate of loss! I also found out from wearing knee
pads for extended periods, that my knees sweat as well.

[1] Being long sighted with varifocals, one has the problem that to see
what I am doing I need to be looking out the bottom of the glasses,
which is tricky without a flip top head. (remembering to take a
dedicated set of reading glasses makes it much easier)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
* dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
* height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
* of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
* extreme.* Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Not since all the heart operations.
And goimg on te type II diets.

Seriously, get blood pressure and HBA/1C levels checked out and
cholesterol. Especially if there is breathless/fatigue* in there too.

Thanks

Phil

Blood pressure is a little high - around 88 - 130.
Fatigue I get, but work long hours in sedentary occupation.
Do find that any serious effort results in the need for a recovery period.
So far I have put this down to age and weight 57 - 5' 10" - 14.5 stone.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
extreme. Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil

Guys

Thanks for all the serious and thoughtful responses.
I half expected a flood of insults/criticism - but maybe it's the forums
that attract that sort of feedback.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 12:13, williamwright wrote:
On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
* dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
* height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
* of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
* extreme.* Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Thanks

Phil

When working with my head near a ceiling I would always start by
removing at least one layer of clothing. (If you do it once you're up
there people wolf whistle.)

Bill

I only wear a shirt indoors and the only person to see me take it off
would be er-indoors. Given my physique she is more likely to suffer
from nausea than the impulse to whistle.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 21:22, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Hi John

For the reasons you have stated, I prefer to have different glasses for
different tasks. I have a pair for close work 18", a pair for computer
use 20" and a folding travelling pair for reading menus etc. 18".
Maybe there's a design opportunity here - varifocal glasses that lift
and lower on your nose. Probably get more market traction than the
flip-top-head solution.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 09:33, thescullster wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I used to have two separate pairs, but tended to find that unless
I remembered to carry the reading ones with me all the time, I would end
up in a situation where I did not have them and wanted them.

Maybe there's a design opportunity here - varifocal glasses that lift
and lower on your nose.* Probably get more market traction than the
flip-top-head solution.

Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses,
along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close
distance bit at the top?

I would have though that for electricians, car mechanics etc, could be
quite handy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 09:58:15 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

For the reasons you have stated, I prefer to have different glasses for
different tasks.* I have a pair for close work 18", a pair for computer
use 20" and a folding travelling pair for reading menus etc. 18".

Yeah, I used to have two separate pairs, but tended to find that unless
I remembered to carry the reading ones with me all the time, I would end
up in a situation where I did not have them and wanted them.

Does it make sense that I generally were the same 'reading glasses'
(eBay Ready Spex sorta thing) for all but very close / fine work (when
I wear something much stronger)?

I mean, my daily's at 2.5 (might be 2.75, can see g) they are close
to what my prescription should be (both eyes) for some role (reading?)
but they are also improve my medium - long distance vision?

After the last eye test I actually had 3 pairs of glasses made up, one
for each end of the prescription (reading / distance) and another
stronger pair for close-up work but apart from a test wear of each of
the pairs they remain in their box. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

+1

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 09:17, thescullster wrote:
[...]

Ok, looks like pre diabetes at that weight. That would account for
fatigue,and sweating. Sedentary is indicator. Has only just started to
affect arteries - your cholesterol ratios are probably high.

exercise, *zero* carbohydrates and lose 3 stone.

And seriously ask your doctor for Hba/1C fasting glucose and lipid blood
tests. If I am wrong no harm done, if I am right, I may have saved you a
heart attack.

The insulin tolerance causes the weight, and the high cholesterol, not
the other way around.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-...-syndrome.html

Phil

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the
urge to rule it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm formulated the question :
Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses, along the
same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close distance bit at
the top?

Or a pair of those glasses with the focus adjuster on each side?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 09:17:38 +0100, thescullster wrote:

[...]

That, by my standards, if fat! I'm 6' 3", 12 5 and a bit over 70 - another
couple of pounds off would be better. Weight is skewed by infantile
paralysis (Polio) and 400k miles + cycling, so upper body is relatively
weak.
Even with acute heart failure I can still walk 8 miles at about 16 min/mile
(not very hilly).
BP is about 120/70.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 16:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated the question :
Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses,
along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close
distance bit at the top?

Or a pair of those glasses with the focus adjuster on each side?

and periscope attachment, with night vision capability :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 18:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated the question :
Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses,
along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close
distance bit at the top?

Or a pair of those glasses with the focus adjuster on each side?

and periscope attachment, with night vision capability :-)

I rather like the double pair that the guy on Repair Shop has.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 09:58, John Rumm wrote:

Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses,
along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close
distance bit at the top?

I know a car mechanic who had his glasses made up like that.

I would have though that for electricians, car mechanics etc, could be
quite handy.

He agrees.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep 2020 at 09:33:15 BST, "thescullster" wrote:

On 21/09/2020 21:22, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

snip

[1] Being long sighted with varifocals, one has the problem that to see
what I am doing I need to be looking out the bottom of the glasses,
which is tricky without a flip top head. (remembering to take a
dedicated set of reading glasses makes it much easier)

Hi John

For the reasons you have stated, I prefer to have different glasses for
different tasks. I have a pair for close work 18", a pair for computer
use 20" and a folding travelling pair for reading menus etc. 18".
Maybe there's a design opportunity here - varifocal glasses that lift
and lower on your nose. Probably get more market traction than the
flip-top-head solution.

Phil

I find my computer specs work well for pretty much everything except very
close and very far - to the point that I've accidentally set off driving with
them. Use them all the time for DIY.

I'm quite short sighted (about -4) but my eyes are all over the place -
correcting for long distance means I can't read anything. The only thing I can
see clearly without any specs is very close up.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 00:14:49 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:
snip

I find my computer specs work well for pretty much everything except very
close and very far - to the point that I've accidentally set off driving with
them.

Ah, I'm not alone then! ;-)

Use them all the time for DIY.

I used them all the time for everything for close up work.

I'm quite short sighted (about -4) but my eyes are all over the place -
correcting for long distance means I can't read anything.

I think I'm long sighted.

The only thing I can
see clearly without any specs is very close up.

Like the Mrs. She can see / read finer things with her eyes (no lenses
or glasses) compared with me in my readers but I can read even smaller
stuff with my super strong glasses on (x4 or summat). I can't really
walk about in those though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound Wrote in message:
On 22/09/2020 18:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated the question :
Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses,
along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close
distance bit at the top?

Or a pair of those glasses with the focus adjuster on each side?

and periscope attachment, with night vision capability :-)

I rather like the double pair that the guy on Repair Shop has.

The mechanism guy? That's 2 pairs isn't it?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/