Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Kind of OT, Sweats

On 22/09/2020 09:33, thescullster wrote:
On 21/09/2020 21:22, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/09/2020 21:59, thescullster wrote:

I was rewiring a light fitting today, stood on the (very solid)
Â* dining table. Slightly stooped due to table vs ceiling
Â* height.

So the physical exertion being expended wasn't great and the level
Â* of concentration not intense.
And yet I was sweating profusely doing this.

Late 50s and a bit overweight, but even so this reaction seems
Â* extreme.Â* Is anyone else suffering similarly?

Yup - particularly that combination of intense concentration while
working in an awkward position (which in my case being 6'3" is usually
somewhere closer to a floor rather than a ceiling - however light
fittings do present a particular challenge[1]).

I tend to sweat from the head primarily, but once its over mid 20's
then everywhere else! When doing that patio rebuild (especially on the
days in the late 20's early 30's), it was just a case of drinking
pretty much constantly to match the rate of loss! I also found out
from wearing knee pads for extended periods, that my knees sweat as well.

[1] Being long sighted with varifocals, one has the problem that to
see what I am doing I need to be looking out the bottom of the
glasses, which is tricky without a flip top head. (remembering to take
a dedicated set of reading glasses makes it much easier)

Hi John

For the reasons you have stated, I prefer to have different glasses for
different tasks.Â* I have a pair for close work 18", a pair for computer
use 20" and a folding travelling pair for reading menus etc. 18".

Yeah, I used to have two separate pairs, but tended to find that unless
I remembered to carry the reading ones with me all the time, I would end
up in a situation where I did not have them and wanted them.

Maybe there's a design opportunity here - varifocal glasses that lift
and lower on your nose.Â* Probably get more market traction than the
flip-top-head solution.

Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses,
along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close
distance bit at the top?

I would have though that for electricians, car mechanics etc, could be
quite handy.

--
Cheers,

John.