Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable
tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not
found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

No personal experience, but I've seen the council do 2" railings, and it
involves a somewhat large and wide tripod and a consideral effort on a
3' lever (metric versions are available), so I don't think it will work
very well without hiring dedicated kit.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2020 12:59, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Many many many years ago I "helped" my dad instal galvanised pipework,
from 3/4 up to about 3". Perfectly do-able but it requires elbow grease,
a pipe vice, cutting oil, and (obviously) a threading tool (seem to be
available for less than £50). Alternatively, could you use Dexion
tubing, with the knock-in joints?
As an aside, for cutting I now use a Rage cut-off saw, bought from the
manufacturer as re-furb'ed. It's brilliant and far better than an angle
grinder or a hacksaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 12:59:48 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but,
so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

If 20mm or 25mm steel electrical conduit is stiff enough, Conlock?

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...conduit-boxes/

Heavier than that is Kee Klamp.

https://keesystems.com/store/fittings.html

Or find someone who does gas meter fitting and is used to working with gas barrel.

You can also hire electric pipe and conduit threaders

https://www.hss.com/hire/p/electric-die-stock

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 13:34:05 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Having seen lots of thread pipe, I didn't expect any difficulty in getting some locally!

I have rather based my ideas on "cheap" steel pipe. And cheap is highly desirable! Also, a lot easier to make a round hole than a square one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 13:32:03 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

I think holding the pipe won't be too bad - I have garage space and a workbench with vices. But turning (and doing the whole thing reasonably accurately) concerned me. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2020 12:59:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

You would need a die set and a pipe vice. The question is how often you
might use them. I bought a set and have only used them a couple of
times. For big ODs they are hard work. I think for 3/4" it should be
quite doable.

Ebay sellers do offer pipe with both ends threaded. Perhaps for a small
consideration you might be able to get them to thread the parts for you.

It is more typical to use box to fabricate anything and weld. How much
strength is required?
https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/prod...nectors-square
or
https://openshop.co.za/index.php?rou...tegory&path=65
for the idea at least.

Without knowing why you need to make a hole through anything I'm not
sure how to help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jul 2020 04:59:46 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Easy.
Electrical conduit is 20 or 25mm, both are easy enough to bend and thread
if you use a pipe vice. And, they also come threaded already at one end,
so it shouldnt be too difficult threading the other end.
Few plumbers will have dies for 3/4" pipe, but quite a lot of
electricians will have dies for 25mm pipe, so maybe rethink it and go for
20/25mm pipe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I've threaded 1/2" conduit in the past. Quite hard work even with the
correct tools. I'd guess 3/4" even harder.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 12:59:48 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

The larger dies are adjustable ie the cutting parts move in and out radially

So the cut is done in several "bites". Perfectly easy up to about 4"
It also means that one die set covers a range of pipe sizes.

Tool hire shops is your best bet. You will need a pipe vice and thread cutting lubricant as well.
You won't hold the pipe in a normal vice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 13:58:12 UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 4 July 2020 12:59:48 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but,
so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

If 20mm or 25mm steel electrical conduit is stiff enough, Conlock?

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...conduit-boxes/

Heavier than that is Kee Klamp.

https://keesystems.com/store/fittings.html

Or find someone who does gas meter fitting and is used to working with gas barrel.

You can also hire electric pipe and conduit threaders

https://www.hss.com/hire/p/electric-die-stock

Owain

Thanks - that is an expensive hire!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 14:39:36 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 04/07/2020 13:34, wrote:
[...]

Tend to agree. I think you *will* need a pipe vice.

Also plus 1 for the cut-off saw, except that mine is an Evolution with
the multi-material blade.

I'll keep that for the future - I have got a decent angle grinder for now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 14:12:40 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

I've gone through eBay and no-one was offering both ends threaded at the length I need - at the moment I checked.

Yes to right length. Yes - to threaded both ends. P&P adds an awful lot - hence my intention of buying locally. But I have started to contact some sellers for quotes.

I'd probably only use the die a few times - currently I can see eight ends. If successful, I might well go further but it would only be a handful each time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 14:57:42 UTC+1, Alan wrote:
[...]

Not anticipating a problem with buying threaded, I have already acquired some parts. And the stiffness is very desirable.

But I shall consider dropping down to 20 or 25mm. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2020 12:59, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I ran an air supply through two factories using 2" and 1" galvanised
pipe. Very simple using a hired electric die stock. Just make sure you
have planned and cut everything you need first. The daily hire rate is
not cheap and, if you have a lot to do, you don't want to waste time
cutting pieces when you could be threading them.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking polygonum_on_google wrote :
Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are
far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

20mm galv conduit and it easy to put a thread on it. Not sure what you
intend using it for, so difficult to determine what it should screw
into.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2020 14:39, newshound wrote:
On 04/07/2020 13:34, wrote:
[...]

Yes, mine was called an "Evolution RAGE2 355mm Multipurpose Cut off Saw,
B Grade" - I have an ancient Rapidor powered hacksaw which hasn't been
used since the Rage/Evolution arrived.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2020 13:34, wrote:
[...]

Which unfortunately will knacker the galvanising at the point
where the pipe vice grips the pipe. If your workshop is dry
just use 3/4 gas pipe instead ?.

Also plus 1 for the cut-off saw, except that mine is an Evolution with
the multi-material blade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

20mm galv conduit and it easy to put a thread on it. Not sure what you
intend using it for, so difficult to determine what it should screw
into.

+1

You have not made it clear what you intend to use the conduit for, but other than electrical fittings it hard to see what you would screw the conduit into. For most electrical work they are screwed into conduit boxes or couplers, there is a very limited number of other fittings a few which could possibly be used for construction purpose such as inspection bends and inspection tees but these are rather expensive.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2020 14:57:39, Alan wrote:
[...]

3/4" BSP actually has a larger OD than 25mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 15:22:13 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I've threaded 1/2" conduit in the past. Quite hard work even with the
correct tools. I'd guess 3/4" even harder.

I rather assumed that it would be! But as I have never cut 1/2" either, wasn't sure where either lies on the "tough to cut" scale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 18:17:05 UTC+1, wrote:
After serious thinking polygonum_on_google wrote :
Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are
far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

20mm galv conduit and it easy to put a thread on it. Not sure what you
intend using it for, so difficult to determine what it should screw
into.

I have the flanges I plan to screw the pipe ends into. That was the easy bit!

I want rigidity and low flexibility. Am trying to make some tools! Will post piccies eventually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 00:33:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

Yebbut ruins the galvanising.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

Maybe! And an interesting approach but it would not work for me as I need to be able to disassemble parts. Sure, it could do some bits, but not all. By the time you add a welding mask, rods, and time and effort learning how to weld (and waste from so doing), maybe not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

Yebbut ruins the galvanising.

Wouldn't be the end of the world - I could even use ungalvanised tube - but thought starting out with some zinc would help reduce the likelihood of rusting over the years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had both pipe vice on stand which formed part of a conduit bending kit and a set of manual 1/2" to 2" pipe thread stocks & dies which I used prior to retirement. I don't know where you are but what you're proposing is pretty trivial in the scheme of pipefitting. A word of caution- trying to grip round steel pipe in a normal vice tight enough to cut a thread will result in crushing it out of shape. I'd suggest cutting your lengths ready to save time then hire kit over a weekend to cut the threads. Are HSS still around in your neck of the woods?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 09:02:58 UTC+1, Cynic wrote:
I had both pipe vice on stand which formed part of a conduit bending kit and a set of manual 1/2" to 2" pipe thread stocks & dies which I used prior to retirement. I don't know where you are but what you're proposing is pretty trivial in the scheme of pipefitting. A word of caution- trying to grip round steel pipe in a normal vice tight enough to cut a thread will result in crushing it out of shape. I'd suggest cutting your lengths ready to save time then hire kit over a weekend to cut the threads. Are HSS still around in your neck of the woods?

Thank you. Yes - we have HSS but another company offers a pipe threader at a more sensible £20 a day (rather than £87). Need to check with them tomorrow if there are any extra charges for the cutters.

Is there anything special about the cutting lubricant? Or would I get away with ordinary lubricants?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 09:13:56 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Thank you. Yes - we have HSS but another company offers a pipe threader
at a more sensible £20 a day (rather than £87).

The HSS is an *electric* pipe threader.

HSS manual pipe threaders are about £40 a day.

I assume the £20 a day is for a manual threader? But if that is sufficient then it is a far more sensible price!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

It's about 10 years since I did any thread cutting, but I think I used a
pot of tallow. You could just ram it over the end of the conduit.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry scribeth thus
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

Yebbut ruins the galvanising.

Galvafroid paint?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05 Jul, wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Following up my own post, I see that TLC call it "cutting compound". They
wouls also sell you all the tools. A complete set for 20 & 25mm is £36 + vat

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among
them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so
far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of
how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that
obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but
they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for
less than the cost of the vice and dies?

Yebbut ruins the galvanising.

so does putting a thread on it or cutting to length.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 09:46:55 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
If its galvanised, though surely the act of cutting removes this, and if you
want to remove it, it might rust up.
Brian

Yes, true, but slapping a bit of suitable grease on should protect it where the threads mesh. And I'll probably end up painting the rest eventually. (Yes, I know the issues of painting zinc.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 09:40:18 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 5 July 2020 09:13:56 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Thank you. Yes - we have HSS but another company offers a pipe threader
at a more sensible £20 a day (rather than £87).

The HSS is an *electric* pipe threader.

HSS manual pipe threaders are about £40 a day.

I assume the £20 a day is for a manual threader? But if that is sufficient then it is a far more sensible price!

Owain

No - it is electric.

One of these:

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/600-i-power-drive

(Might be a slightly higher or lower spec. or an older model but looked like this and is this make.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 11:06:00 UTC+1, charles wrote:
On 05 Jul, wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

The usual issues - ends up nearer £50 with delivery and the cutting compound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Welding thick stuff like tube pretty easy. And many cheap welders from
Lidl etc give you everything you need.

Have you price up the dies etc needed? The ones I bought years ago for
conduit weren't cheap then. But of course may be now.

--
*White with a hint of M42*