Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 13:34:05 UTC+1, wrote:
On 04/07/2020 12:59, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Many many many years ago I "helped" my dad instal galvanised pipework,
from 3/4 up to about 3". Perfectly do-able but it requires elbow grease,
a pipe vice, cutting oil, and (obviously) a threading tool (seem to be
available for less than £50). Alternatively, could you use Dexion
tubing, with the knock-in joints?
As an aside, for cutting I now use a Rage cut-off saw, bought from the
manufacturer as re-furb'ed. It's brilliant and far better than an angle
grinder or a hacksaw.

Having seen lots of thread pipe, I didn't expect any difficulty in getting some locally!

I have rather based my ideas on "cheap" steel pipe. And cheap is highly desirable! Also, a lot easier to make a round hole than a square one.