Old January 24th 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting up old galvanised water tanks

I need to remove two old water tanks from the loft. One redundant one up
there was bad enough, but now we have a new plastic replacement so there's
two of them up there doing nothing.

They won't fit through the loft hatch. What is the best way to cut them up?
I don't fancy doing it with a hack saw! I have a 9" grinder with some thin
metal cutting disks. I also have a cheap jigsaw and some metal blades (I
think).

I'm guessing the grinder is easiest and fastest. How safe is it to cut up
the tanks with an electric grinder in the loft space (sparks)? Is it viable
to cut it up with a jigsaw?

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old January 24th 09, 03:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean wrote:
I need to remove two old water tanks from the loft. One redundant one up
there was bad enough, but now we have a new plastic replacement so there's
two of them up there doing nothing.

They won't fit through the loft hatch. What is the best way to cut them up?
I don't fancy doing it with a hack saw! I have a 9" grinder with some thin
metal cutting disks. I also have a cheap jigsaw and some metal blades (I
think).

I'm guessing the grinder is easiest and fastest. How safe is it to cut up
the tanks with an electric grinder in the loft space (sparks)? Is it viable
to cut it up with a jigsaw?

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Been recently discussed here. Enter the following in google.

group:uk.d-i-y how to cut up a metal water tank?

--
Adrian C
Old January 24th 09, 04:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Been recently discussed here. Enter the following in google.

group:uk.d-i-y how to cut up a metal water tank?

--
Adrian C

The consensus was sabre saw first, angle grinder second. I'd be inclined to
have both available, start with sabre saw but use angle grinder to separate
parts.

Old January 24th 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Been recently discussed here. Enter the following in google.

group:uk.d-i-y how to cut up a metal water tank?

--
Adrian C

The consensus was sabre saw first, angle grinder second. I'd be inclined
to have both available, start with sabre saw but use angle grinder to
separate parts.

Sounds very deafening indeed!
Old January 24th 09, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean presented the following explanation :
I'm guessing the grinder is easiest and fastest. How safe is it to cut up
the tanks with an electric grinder in the loft space (sparks)? Is it viable
to cut it up with a jigsaw?

A jigsaw would just about hack it, but I would go with the angle
grinder. To contain any sparks hang old curtains or bed sheets which
have been damped around the area. Get someone to watch for possible
signs of fire, you can't do both and have an extinguisher to hand
ready.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old January 24th 09, 07:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dean" wrote in message
et...

I need to remove two old water tanks from the loft. One redundant one up
there was bad enough, but now we have a new plastic replacement so there's
two of them up there doing nothing.

They won't fit through the loft hatch. What is the best way to cut them
up?
I don't fancy doing it with a hack saw! I have a 9" grinder with some
thin
metal cutting disks. I also have a cheap jigsaw and some metal blades (I
think).

I'm guessing the grinder is easiest and fastest. How safe is it to cut up
the tanks with an electric grinder in the loft space (sparks)? Is it
viable
to cut it up with a jigsaw?

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Gas axe......................

or more seriously

Leave it there if you don't need the space. If you do you can store small
items in it and protect them from damage easier

Old January 25th 09, 12:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jan, 18:54, "RW" wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message

et...

[...]

very sensible advice!
Old January 25th 09, 10:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:13:09 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

Dean wrote:
I need to remove two old water tanks from the loft. One redundant one up
there was bad enough, but now we have a new plastic replacement so there's
two of them up there doing nothing.

They won't fit through the loft hatch. What is the best way to cut them up?
I don't fancy doing it with a hack saw! I have a 9" grinder with some thin
metal cutting disks. I also have a cheap jigsaw and some metal blades (I
think).

I'm guessing the grinder is easiest and fastest. How safe is it to cut up
the tanks with an electric grinder in the loft space (sparks)? Is it viable
to cut it up with a jigsaw?

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Been recently discussed here. Enter the following in google.

group:uk.d-i-y how to cut up a metal water tank?

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that. I liked the suggested fire
precautions:

Wouldn't using anything electric create quite a lot of heat and shards
of hot metal?

Not if you keep it full of water while cutting it up. g

Old January 25th 09, 03:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Newshound"
saying something like:

The consensus was sabre saw first, angle grinder second. I'd be inclined to
have both available, start with sabre saw but use angle grinder to separate
parts.

It'd need to be some sort of **** to use an angle grinder on steel, in a
dry dusty loft space.

Cutting holes in galvanised steel [email protected] UK diy 18 August 21st 07 07:40 PM
Cutting holes in galvanised steel cerberus[_2_] UK diy 0 August 21st 07 09:14 AM
Cutting galvanised steel tube Andy Hall UK diy 54 July 18th 06 12:10 PM
Water in oil tanks boden Home Repair 5 October 13th 05 04:00 AM
F/S Water tanks and other water bottling stuff JohnF Metalworking 1 May 20th 05 02:09 AM