Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting galvanised steel tube

I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:44:52 +0100, Andy Hall had
this to say:

I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

I would use a power hacksaw.

Then again, I have ready access to one!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote in message
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think

so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

You need one of these
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl;js...f81264c4d44b5b
de0361d2662fd.e3eTaxePaNqNe34RcheRbxyMah90n6jAmljG r5XDqQLvpAe?sc=9&category=
552&it=A&id=6921
or this
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...5&r=2041&g=106
anything using cutting disks in angle grinders or Circular Saw is a horrible
noisy way of wasting time.

Perhaps you could take your own advice and hire one.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think
so I am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

If you're near me you can come use my cutoff saw. I'm in Telford.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:06:48 +0100, Mark wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall wrote in message
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think

so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

You need one of these
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl;js...f81264c4d44b5b
de0361d2662fd.e3eTaxePaNqNe34RcheRbxyMah90n6jAmljG r5XDqQLvpAe?sc=9&category=
552&it=A&id=6921

Without stuffing this lot into the browser, I guess you mean the Sealey power
hacksaw at the princely sum of £615

or this
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...5&r=2041&g=106

Presumably relatively quiet.

anything using cutting disks in angle grinders or Circular Saw is a horrible
noisy way of wasting time.

Perhaps you could take your own advice and hire one.

Good thought, I'll take a look. I don't particularly want to acquire a
lumbering great machine for metalworking in general.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:01:11 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:44:52 +0100, Andy Hall had
this to say:

I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

I would use a power hacksaw.

Then again, I have ready access to one!

Didn't know they existed. Looks eminently sensible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:15:23 +0100, Guy King wrote
(in article ):

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

If you're near me you can come use my cutoff saw. I'm in Telford.

Thank you for the kind thought. Bit far, though....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

Lidl had 'em a couple of weeks ago. Depending on how accurate you need
to be - if it's just going into clamps then probably not spot on, then a
hacksaw will get you through 30 tubes in about 30 minutes.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:47:27 +0100, Guy King wrote
(in article ):

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

Lidl had 'em a couple of weeks ago. Depending on how accurate you need
to be - if it's just going into clamps then probably not spot on, then a
hacksaw will get you through 30 tubes in about 30 minutes.

It's for a structure involving Tubeclamps so I don't think that perfection is
required. If I can get through a tube in about a minute or even two, it
would be quicker than renting a saw. If it were 10 mins per cut, then
that's another thing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel
tube (about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I
think so I am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

Hmmm! do you have a cross pull saw or similair?

Put a grinder wheel on it and hey presto 30 cut bars in minutes.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:52:56 +0100, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall wrote:
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel
tube (about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I
think so I am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

Hmmm! do you have a cross pull saw or similair?

Put a grinder wheel on it and hey presto 30 cut bars in minutes.

Yes I do, but it's a woodworking one used for fairly precise work.

Interesting thought. I guess that the guard arrangements are different as
well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote in message

Without stuffing this lot into the browser, I guess you mean the Sealey

power
hacksaw at the princely sum of £615

Oh if you are buying entirely on price, here is a cheap, small, quiet one.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...saw-366124.htm

or this
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...5&r=2041&g=106

Presumably relatively quiet.

Perhaps you could take your own advice and hire one.

Good thought, I'll take a look. I don't particularly want to acquire a
lumbering great machine for metalworking in general.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel
tube (about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I
think so I am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a
suitable cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

Hmmm! do you have a cross pull saw or similair?

Put a grinder wheel on it and hey presto 30 cut bars in minutes.

Yes I do, but it's a woodworking one used for fairly precise work.

Interesting thought. I guess that the guard arrangements are
different as well

Pick up a cheap model and use it for cutting disc,grinding disc,thats what
I've done with this Taiwan effort.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:47:27 +0100, Guy King wrote
(in article ):

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

Lidl had 'em a couple of weeks ago. Depending on how accurate you need
to be - if it's just going into clamps then probably not spot on, then a
hacksaw will get you through 30 tubes in about 30 minutes.

It's for a structure involving Tubeclamps so I don't think that perfection is
required. If I can get through a tube in about a minute or even two, it
would be quicker than renting a saw. If it were 10 mins per cut, then
that's another thing

Don't you have a local engineering firm who would do it for you for a
few tens of squids?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

angle grinder with steel cutting wheel will waltz through those. Not the
tidiest cut though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0
or
http://tinyurl.com/ly9pd

That should give fast cuts to a reasonable accuracy...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting galvanised steel tube - steel cutting wheels

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

angle grinder with steel cutting wheel will waltz through those. Not the
tidiest cut though.

Talking of which, has anyone tried those new diamond cutting blades for
angle grinders that claim they can cut metal as well as masonry?

I wondered what the cut quality and speed is like in metal, and also how
well the blades stand up.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:16:57 +0100, raden wrote
(in article ):

In message , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

That's a thought as well. In fact I found a supplier of tube who would do
it. The only trouble is that it's one of those jobs where the space in
which the final structure is being fitted is not quite even and square, and
it has to fit that rather than the structure being perfectly square.

Therefore, I think it is probably better cut as I assemble it. I'll need to
measure the space again, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 03:53:52 +0100, John Rumm wrote
(in article ):

Andy Hall wrote:

If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...der+stand&u s

er_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0
or
http://tinyurl.com/ly9pd

That should give fast cuts to a reasonable accuracy...

Thank you John.

This looks like a reasonable solution.

Of course it creates the next quandary. I only have a 125mm angle grinder
at present. I suspect that that would not cut completely through a tube of
34mm OD without rotating the tube (although I suppose I can do that.

So outlay for large stand = £30, 230mm angle grinder (say Bosch) at £86 -
total £116. OTOH, I do get a bigger angle grinder that can be used for
other things. OTOOH, I don't have much other need for a large angle grinder

Entry level cutoff saw seems to be £100 or £117 for apparently better (Jet)
one from Axminster. Trouble is that it's physically quite large (needs to
be stored) and I can't think of many other applications where I want to cut
length of metal..

Rental prices on bench cut off saws seem to vary between £35 and £45, but not
clear whether this includes the disc, whether there's a deductable for use or
whether one has to buy their discs at some inflated price.

Then there's the hacksaw :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Then there's the hacksaw :-)

Get some 18TPI bimtal blades and you'll romp through it.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

If I can get through a tube in about a minute or even two, it
would be quicker than renting a saw.

I can do a 30x30x5 angle in about 30 seconds.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:53:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

|Andy Hall wrote:
| I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
| (about 30)
|
| 25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm
|
| A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
| am looking for a faster alternative.
|
| Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
| cutting wheel?
|
| Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?
|

|angle grinder with steel cutting wheel will waltz through those. Not the
|tidiest cut though.

I tend to use Angle Grinders for rough hacking work on metal.
Dressing the flash off the tube might well take as long as hack sawing
would have done in the first place, depending on how neat/accurate a result
you need.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel

tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I

think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a

suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

Andy,

If you are in traveling distance of Bromley you are welcome to use my
power hacksaw - it would eat the job.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 03:56:23 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

angle grinder with steel cutting wheel will waltz through those. Not the
tidiest cut though.

Talking of which, has anyone tried those new diamond cutting blades for
angle grinders that claim they can cut metal as well as masonry?

I wondered what the cut quality and speed is like in metal, and also how
well the blades stand up.

Yes. It transforms a cheap angle grinder into a useful tool.
The blades don't last for ever but they do last for a very long time. More
usefully they don't wear down smaller like abrasive cut-off discs, which
results in making the disc too small (in diameter) to work. Also they make
a magnitude less sparks and much less debris.

I also use a power hacksaw (Bosch £100 job) which takes a variety of
blades [1] including ones intended to cut steel. The trick is to keep the
tool firmly against the pipe no matter what, and the blade lubricated.

[1] Wood, Ally, Green Wood,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:06:16 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote
(in article ):

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel

tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I

think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a

suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

Andy,

If you are in traveling distance of Bromley you are welcome to use my
power hacksaw - it would eat the job.

AWEM

Thank you kind sir. Unfortunately I'm on the opposite side of London... :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think

so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

==================================
Hire one of these from your local hire shop:

You might pick one up cheaply on Ebay.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:29:12 +0100, Cicero wrote
(in article ):

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think

so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

==================================
Hire one of these from your local hire shop:

You might pick one up cheaply on Ebay.

Cic.

Ah. I didn't know these things existed (at least not at that size) . I've
seen pipe vices in use when threading, but not this.

HSS have the cutters for £8 a day and the vice for £12.

Thanks for that, Cic. Presumably all I then need is some brute force and
ignorance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

==============================
Not much effort needed because these are the right tools for the job. Don't
force the job - make small adjustments to the cutter to get a clean cut.
You'll probably still need your angle grinder to adjust the final fitting
angles.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:24:22 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:12:59 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote
(in article .uk):

[...]

Ah. That sounds interesting. Do you have a model number, Ed?

I have a Bosch reciprocating saw but guess that isn't the same thing?

It's a PFZ 500E, probably what you have? You may break some
blades but it will be a lot quicker than using a hacksaw and neater and
cleaner than an angle grinder. Also you can use the angle grinder to
deburr the cut edge.

I have used it mostly for cutting up steel water tanks including their
steel connecting pipes. Most of the problem I have are due to awkward
positions it has to work in, cutting up stock would be easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Hire a BIG angle grinder for a day. £17 last time I did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 03:56:23 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

angle grinder with steel cutting wheel will waltz through those. Not the
tidiest cut though.

Talking of which, has anyone tried those new diamond cutting blades for
angle grinders that claim they can cut metal as well as masonry?

I wondered what the cut quality and speed is like in metal, and also how
well the blades stand up.

Yes. It transforms a cheap angle grinder into a useful tool.
The blades don't last for ever but they do last for a very long time. More
usefully they don't wear down smaller like abrasive cut-off discs,

Eventually they do..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:23:50 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote
(in article .uk):

[...]

Ah yes, I know. I have a smaller, earlier model made by Bosch Scintilla.
I've used this one for cutting dust extraction metal duct, but that is quite
thin. I can try it on steel tube and see what happens, I guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Of course it creates the next quandary. I only have a 125mm angle grinder
at present. I suspect that that would not cut completely through a tube of
34mm OD without rotating the tube (although I suppose I can do that.

It also depends on the type of disc in use. With an abrasive you will
soon get the stage of needing to rotate the work even if you don't at
the start, so as to get full usage from the disc. This would not of
course be an issue with a diamond disc.

So outlay for large stand = £30, 230mm angle grinder (say Bosch) at £86 -
total £116. OTOH, I do get a bigger angle grinder that can be used for
other things. OTOOH, I don't have much other need for a large angle grinder

I find I get very extensive use from my 230mm grinder[1]... just used it
to romp through a thousand or so cuts in block paviours, but in the past
it has done stirling service on patio slabs, roof tiles, engineering
bricks, and rolls of chicken wire.

[1] 2kW Hitachi which I am very pleased with - cost about £80 from a
local tool suppliers and came with free decent diamond disc (which only
got replaced last week after several years of use). Only thing my one
lacks that I would look for on a replacement is soft start - the current
one gives one hell of a kick when it spins up!

Entry level cutoff saw seems to be £100 or £117 for apparently better (Jet)
one from Axminster. Trouble is that it's physically quite large (needs to
be stored) and I can't think of many other applications where I want to cut
length of metal..

I would expect the stand for the grinder to be a little more versatile,
could be quite handy for chopping smaller tiles and paving blocks as
well. (in fact thinking about it, I wish I had bought one about a week ago!)

Rental prices on bench cut off saws seem to vary between £35 and £45, but not
clear whether this includes the disc, whether there's a deductable for use or
whether one has to buy their discs at some inflated price.

Then there's the hacksaw :-)

Hacksaw blade in a jigsaw may just about hack it... a big one in a
reciprocating saw should also do it well enough. (I chopped off the end
of a 8mm thick 200mm high flitch plate with the reciprocating saw - took
a while but did it without any hassle).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes. It transforms a cheap angle grinder into a useful tool. The
blades don't last for ever but they do last for a very long time. More
usefully they don't wear down smaller like abrasive cut-off discs,

Eventually they do..

To be fair they probably can't quite! ;-)

abrasives are abrasive all the way to the hub, diamond discs usually
only have a cutting edge that is at most 1cm deep and once that is worn
away you are black to a plain steel disc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:01:11 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:44:52 +0100, Andy Hall had
this to say:

I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think
so
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

I would use a power hacksaw.

Then again, I have ready access to one!

Didn't know they existed. Looks eminently sensible.

I prefer a bandsaw cut-off machine, which looks much the same except that it
cuts continuously, whereas the power hacksaw spend half its time on the back
stroke, so it cuts much faster.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

It also depends on the type of disc in use. With an abrasive you will
soon get the stage of needing to rotate the work even if you don't at
the start, so as to get full usage from the disc. This would not of
course be an issue with a diamond disc.

Though my current 330mm chopsaw blade has gone through 20 slices of 50 x
3 square box, dozens of bits of 50x5 flat and 50x50x3 and x5 angle and
is still not fully through.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a need to cut quite a number of lengths of galvanised steel tube
(about 30)

25mm ID, 33.7mm OD e.g. http://www.fhbrundle.com/tube-14.htm

A hacksaw is going to become boring for doing this quite quickly I think so I
am looking for a faster alternative.

Is this angle grinder territory? If so, can anybody suggest a suitable
cutting wheel?

Otherwise, is a more substantial saw like a cutoff saw required?

See if you can hire a cutoff saw/chop saw locally for a reasonable
amount.

Or if you have a decent bench vice or another good way to clamp the
tube hire a 9" grinder or buy a cheap one. The advantage of a grinder
is trimming/cutting in situ if required.

Normal metal cutting discs will work fine, though the thin
'inox'/stainless ones create less heat if that's a problem.

The thin ones do need a bit of care, especially not letting the disc
getting 'pinched' towards the end of the cut. I'd stay out of the
'cutting plane' too...

I'd expect even the best hacksaw blade would be hard work until you
break through the tube at the start of the cut.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

Though my current 330mm chopsaw blade has gone through 20 slices of 50 x
3 square box, dozens of bits of 50x5 flat and 50x50x3 and x5 angle and
is still not fully through.

Is that an abrasive or a diamond disc?

Abrasive.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
If you have an angle grinder, stands to do right angle cuts are pretty
cheap. A metal cutting disc should do it.

Any idea from where for a stand, Dave?

I got mine from a tool stall in Wimbledon Stadium car park Sunday market
for a fiver. I've got two 4.5" angle grinders and they both fit. I've just
looked at it and there's no brand, but it will be one of the common
cheapies.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter