Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 5 July 2020 00:33:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among
them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so
far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of
how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that
obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but
they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for
less than the cost of the vice and dies?

Maybe! And an interesting approach but it would not work for me as I
need to be able to disassemble parts. Sure, it could do some bits, but
not all. By the time you add a welding mask, rods, and time and effort
learning how to weld (and waste from so doing), maybe not.

Welding thick stuff like tube pretty easy. And many cheap welders from
Lidl etc give you everything you need.

Have you price up the dies etc needed? The ones I bought years ago for
conduit weren't cheap then. But of course may be now.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.