Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

In article ,
Cynic wrote:
I had both pipe vice on stand which formed part of a conduit bending kit
and a set of manual 1/2" to 2" pipe thread stocks & dies which I used
prior to retirement. I don't know where you are but what you're
proposing is pretty trivial in the scheme of pipefitting. A word of
caution- trying to grip round steel pipe in a normal vice tight enough
to cut a thread will result in crushing it out of shape. I'd suggest
cutting your lengths ready to save time then hire kit over a weekend to
cut the threads. Are HSS still around in your neck of the woods?

Yes - I had the complete kit for bending conduit and threading it. The
floor standing bender included a special strap vice to hold it without
damage for threading. But the whole lot cost an arm and a leg.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 July 2020 12:22:40 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 5 July 2020 00:33:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among
them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so
far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of
how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that
obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but
they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for
less than the cost of the vice and dies?

Maybe! And an interesting approach but it would not work for me as I
need to be able to disassemble parts. Sure, it could do some bits, but
not all. By the time you add a welding mask, rods, and time and effort
learning how to weld (and waste from so doing), maybe not.

Welding thick stuff like tube pretty easy. And many cheap welders from
Lidl etc give you everything you need.

Have you price up the dies etc needed? The ones I bought years ago for
conduit weren't cheap then. But of course may be now.

Have been looking at prices - a lot depends on whether I am willing to wait on delivery from China!

Also, the difference between a simple 20 and 25Â*mm set, including die stock, and a ratchet device is considerable. I found one simple one below £20.

I really have little enthusiasm for learning welding at my stage of life. Having watched people doing it - real life as well as TV - I think I understand why people do it. But just not for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 01:13:54 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

Is there anything special about the cutting lubricant? Or would I get away with ordinary lubricants?

I have threaded 3/4" galvanised by hand.

Eight threads by hand is not a problem: Put you weight on it and it's work, but
not hard work. Using (clean) motor oil for cutting will be fine; use plenty, and
reapply. A pipe vise will make the work *much* easier. If you use a regular
vise, perhaps you will need a helper with a long pipe wrench to counteract the
cutting torque.

Cut the pipe using a "pipe cutter for galvanised pipe", one of those roller
things as for copper pipe, only heftier. Pleasure to use: perfectly square ends,
no outside burrs, quick, silent.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...e-cutter/8126k

Don't turn it 360, but go back and forth:

https://youtu.be/J6KyF96baWM

Rothenberger make/made something called a "Sanikit" which has dies and a pipe
cutter in it, at a reasonable price -- perhaps available for hire?

And there are/were chinese knockoffs of that kit in the 30‚¬ range -- though the
one time I tried to buy one, the lady behind the counter said she wouldn't
guarantee the dies for even the few threads I needed. (She told me leave a
deposit and ID, and take this 400‚¬ pro tool and bring it back clean and whole,
and she'd know by the state of the cutters if I'd skimped on the oil so don't do
that, please?)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, the difference between a simple 20 and 25 mm set, including die stock, and a ratchet device is considerable. I found one simple one below £20.

You really need to get the types used by electricians as they have a guide sleeve. Because they generally hold the conduit horizontally a normal die stock is hard to keep perpendicular to the conduit the guide sleeve helps you start the thread correctly thus preventing a drunken thread. Practically foolproof but no doubt some of Adams apprentices might prove me wrong.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thank you - very helpful and interesting.

At the moment, I am thinking that for Mach I, I'll get the pipe supplied threaded. Then, maybe, switch to 25mm pipe if I decide to go ahead with Mach II, III, etc. Or at least, I'll understand what is possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 07:59:26 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Also, the difference between a simple 20 and 25 mm set, including die stock, and a ratchet device is considerable. I found one simple one below £20.

You really need to get the types used by electricians as they have a guide sleeve. Because they generally hold the conduit horizontally a normal die stock is hard to keep perpendicular to the conduit the guide sleeve helps you start the thread correctly thus preventing a drunken thread. Practically foolproof but no doubt some of Adams apprentices might prove me wrong.

Richard

Yes - the inexpensive one does have guides. Am well aware of the need for good alignment. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 July 2020 13:32:11 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
At the moment, I am thinking that for Mach I, I'll get the pipe
supplied threaded. Then, maybe, switch to 25mm pipe if I decide
to go ahead with Mach II, III, etc. Or at least, I'll understand
what is possible.

Bloody hell, are you building a Lockheed Blackbird?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

Unless you are already a welder, I'd say it would be cheaper to buy all
the pipe kit than to learn to weld to an adequate standard. Square tube
with knock in inserts might also be cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

I didnt find that when building the house mostly with welded tube,
very little wood involved.

Square tube with knock in inserts might also be cheaper.

No its not. I did use lots of that for shelving but dont use
the knock in inserts. I did start with those before I build the
house for stand alone shelves but welding is much cheaper.

Otoh a mate of mine did make a big rack for his landrover
with welded square tube and I have never seen such an
awful obscenity of welding so there certainly are some
people that never do learn to weld properly.

I did it by trial and error and can weld the thin Dexion
black square tube that many welders claim isnt possible
because the walls are quite thin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 14:54:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 12:59:48 PM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Could you not find a local firm, plumber or electrician, who would do what you want for a price ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 22:39:16 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

That is my view of myself!

I don't want to go square pipe - but ap[preciate the suggestion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 July 2020 08:46:31 UTC+1, fred wrote:
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 12:59:48 PM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Could you not find a local firm, plumber or electrician, who would do what you want for a price ?

Yes - once I realised the problems/cost of doing it all myself, that was what I initially expected - supply and thread. But am having difficulty finding anywhere willing to do that.

Supply unthreaded - no problem.

At this moment, I think I might simply pay for threaded and re-think for any future projects. For just four pieces (eight ends) it would be less expensive than buying the kit.