View Single Post
  #54   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

On Wednesday, 8 July 2020 08:46:31 UTC+1, fred wrote:
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 12:59:48 PM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Could you not find a local firm, plumber or electrician, who would do what you want for a price ?

Yes - once I realised the problems/cost of doing it all myself, that was what I initially expected - supply and thread. But am having difficulty finding anywhere willing to do that.

Supply unthreaded - no problem.

At this moment, I think I might simply pay for threaded and re-think for any future projects. For just four pieces (eight ends) it would be less expensive than buying the kit.