Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WTB: Galvanised/Galvanized steel tube

.....actually to make a Verandah handrail.

I have in mind the kind of stuff which in the past was used for heating
systems (at least in my school in the 1960's) but that no longer seems to be
available through plumbers merchants.

I have found tube for compressed air distribution (eg
http://tinyurl.com/o5qwe) seems to be readily available. Is this the same
stuff? Basically I don't want it to bend if leaned on, over a 1.5 metre-ish
span. I'm confident that pipe at least 1" diameter with wall thickness
over 1/8" will cut the mustard.

Any other suggestions on making strong tubular/cylindrical handrails
appreciated.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Galvanised/Galvanized steel tube

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
....actually to make a Verandah handrail.

I have in mind the kind of stuff which in the past was used for heating
systems (at least in my school in the 1960's) but that no longer seems to
be available through plumbers merchants.

I have found tube for compressed air distribution (eg
http://tinyurl.com/o5qwe) seems to be readily available. Is this the same
stuff? Basically I don't want it to bend if leaned on, over a 1.5
metre-ish span. I'm confident that pipe at least 1" diameter with wall
thickness over 1/8" will cut the mustard.

Any other suggestions on making strong tubular/cylindrical handrails
appreciated.

Key Industrial Equipment sell galvanised tube and fittings, in a variety of
sizes, specifically for making handrails.

http://www.keyind.co.uk/

Storage Stores, Partitioning and sheds

BTW where used to prevent falls, Health and Safety guidelines are for there
to be two horizontal rails - the upper at least 1.1m high with the lower at
half that height - and a kick board, to stop things being kicked over the
edge. I usually simply fill the lower half with board or mesh.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Vortex" contains these words:

Any other suggestions on making strong tubular/cylindrical handrails
appreciated.

Personally I'd make it out of 40mm box and weld it. Do it in sections
that can be bolted together, sling it all on the trailer and take it to
the galvanisers.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:15:23 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

Personally I'd make it out of 40mm box and weld it. Do it in sections
that can be bolted together, sling it all on the trailer and take it to
the galvanisers.

50 quid minimum order for hot-dip. Not bad if you're doing a lot, but
it's expensive for small jobs and one-offs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Vortex wrote:
.....actually to make a Verandah handrail.
Any other suggestions on making strong tubular/cylindrical handrails
appreciated.

Kee Klamp have all the clamps and joints required and details of
specifications for suitable pipe.

Owain

www.keeclamp.com

Just the ticket. Asking for a quote today.

Thanks!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

50 quid minimum order for hot-dip. Not bad if you're doing a lot, but
it's expensive for small jobs and one-offs.

Last time I did it they just slung it in with a load of other stuff and
I gave 'em a tenner.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

50 quid minimum order for hot-dip. Not bad if you're doing a lot,
but it's expensive for small jobs and one-offs.

Last time I did it they just slung it in with a load of other stuff
and I gave 'em a tenner.

see also powder coating, etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try www.keeklamp.com they are based in Reading UK but have many outlets