Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 14:12:40 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 04/07/2020 12:59:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

You would need a die set and a pipe vice. The question is how often you
might use them. I bought a set and have only used them a couple of
times. For big ODs they are hard work. I think for 3/4" it should be
quite doable.

Ebay sellers do offer pipe with both ends threaded. Perhaps for a small
consideration you might be able to get them to thread the parts for you.

It is more typical to use box to fabricate anything and weld. How much
strength is required?
https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/prod...nectors-square
or
https://openshop.co.za/index.php?rou...tegory&path=65
for the idea at least.

Without knowing why you need to make a hole through anything I'm not
sure how to help.

I've gone through eBay and no-one was offering both ends threaded at the length I need - at the moment I checked.

Yes to right length. Yes - to threaded both ends. P&P adds an awful lot - hence my intention of buying locally. But I have started to contact some sellers for quotes.

I'd probably only use the die a few times - currently I can see eight ends. If successful, I might well go further but it would only be a handful each time.