Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 19:13:21 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 04/07/2020 14:57:39, Alan wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jul 2020 04:59:46 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

Easy.
Electrical conduit is 20 or 25mm, both are easy enough to bend and thread
if you use a pipe vice. And, they also come threaded already at one end,
so it shouldnt be too difficult threading the other end.
Few plumbers will have dies for 3/4" pipe, but quite a lot of
electricians will have dies for 25mm pipe, so maybe rethink it and go for
20/25mm pipe?

3/4" BSP actually has a larger OD than 25mm.

Yep - 26.9 mm.