Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 12:59:48 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

The larger dies are adjustable ie the cutting parts move in and out radially

So the cut is done in several "bites". Perfectly easy up to about 4"
It also means that one die set covers a range of pipe sizes.

Tool hire shops is your best bet. You will need a pipe vice and thread cutting lubricant as well.
You won't hold the pipe in a normal vice.