Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

On 04/07/2020 12:59, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far, have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I ran an air supply through two factories using 2" and 1" galvanised
pipe. Very simple using a hired electric die stock. Just make sure you
have planned and cut everything you need first. The daily hire rate is
not cheap and, if you have a lot to do, you don't want to waste time
cutting pieces when you could be threading them.

--
Colin Bignell