Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
I am thinking about making some things for my workshop. In among them, I
shall need some fairly stiff metal - probably tube.

Trouble is, cost of P&P makes online prices quite high. I can get
suitable tube locally at a reasonable price and avoid P&P but, so far,
have not found anyone to supply threaded both ends tube.

I've never threaded 3/4" galvanised so have little appreciation of how
tough it is. Nor have I found a pair of die and die stock that obviously
go together!

Yes, I have seen sets of tools (e.g. 1/2",3/4", 1" and 1 1/4") but they
are far more in terms both of bits and cost than I need.

Is it easy or hard?

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less
than the cost of the vice and dies?

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.