Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Updating Win7 to Win10

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

Idiots, guide... (well we really don't know what you have, but this is
my procedure)

Backup the files you want.

Buy a 250GB ssd for about £30 replace the laptop drive, keep the old
drive, just in case you have forgotten some files.

Install W10 fresh from USB (software downloaded from Microsoft).
Activate using Win7 credentials or £2 licence off ebay if they don't work..

Copy back the files you want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

Just get it here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

and let it get on with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 15:10:19, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

Why not use the Microsoft ISO/USB tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

I use the USB stick route. It's simple to use. Although if you go down
the DVD route you'll need media burning software.

To my knowledge all Windows 7 apps will all work on Windows 10. I
haven't found one that hasn't (64bit).

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

I see no reason why any external drive visible to Windows 7 should not
be accessible to Windows 10. You can do an update and retain everything.
I recently did a new clean install as I had do much junk on this machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 15:42:36 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 24/06/2020 15:10:19, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is
so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do
just this.

Why not use the Microsoft ISO/USB tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

I use the USB stick route. It's simple to use. Although if you go down
the DVD route you'll need media burning software.

To my knowledge all Windows 7 apps will all work on Windows 10. I
haven't found one that hasn't (64bit).

I had a Samsung scanner that wouldn't. At all. I gave it away to someone
with Win 7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 16:14:14, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Was this a driver or application issue? I'm wondering if this was
written for XP?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

*Don't* go here, using a Windows XP or a Linux setup.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

With a Vista+ machine and web browser, you will be offered
a version of the MediaCreationTool.

You can do the installation with no physical media at all.
Have the MediaCreationTool create an ISO9660 file (using
the "updating another computer" type option, instead of letting
it upgrade the PC directly).

https://www.osforensics.com/tools/mo...sk-images.html

https://i.postimg.cc/G2gwNm6V/OSFMOUNTer.gif

With the ISO9660 file mounted, look for a new (virtual)
DVD drive in My Computer. There will be a Setup.exe
file at the top level. Double-click to kick off your
Upgrade Install. When it asks for a license key,
click the "I don't have a license key" button, then
carry on. Since the free Upgrade is still working,
the OS should be activated later (use the Setup wheel
in the menu, type "activation" in it and see if you can
get the dialog for that to show).

If you want to make a DVD later (and you might want to do
that), the ISO9660 can be burned to a new DVD using
a program like the free Imgburn.

An Upgrade Install moves C:\Windows to C:\Windows.old,
then it creates a new C:\Windows with Windows 10 stuff in
it. The C:\Windows.old will be deleted after ten days,
using automation. Do *not* toss C:\Windows.old into the
trash. Use a tool to remove it! In the run box, you
can use "cleanmgr.exe" as the removal tool, using the
"system" button in that tool. You'll find the Windows.old
listed as a ~20GB folder to be deleted.

If you use MediaCreationTool to directly update the OS,
then you might not have any collateral materials for later.
Doing it the ISO9660 way, you get to keep an image around
for later. The image works best if burned to a DVD
(both legacy BIOS and UEFI BIOS supported). If you load
the ISO9660 with Rufus, only one of the two modes works
with Rufus. If you use the MicrosoftStore USB flash stick
loader, it has a similar limitation (legacy only???). To
be fully functional, like you're going to a friends
house to do a Geek Squad call, you want the physical DVD
because it supports any mode the job calls for.

But on the initial Upgrade Install, you don't *have* to do
it from a DVD. Making a DVD just makes you *more prepared*,
like a boy scout. Not making a DVD, saves time. It
doesn't install all that much faster using the virtual DVD
drive idea, so that's not the reason for doing it that way.

Having a backup image of C: before starting this, covers
your bases. You have nothing to worry about, if you can
just restore from backup. You store the backup image on
an external drive, one which is disconnected during the
install attempt.

Do *not* have multiple hard drives running in the desktop,
during the install. Best practice, is (with power off),
to be disconnecting the SATA power and SATA data from
your excess hard drives. Only the hard drive with
Windows 7 should be present, when installing from the
"virtual" DVD drive. You can leave your physical DVD
drive cabled up if you want. This level of caution
isn't strictly necessary, but is a means to assure
yourself that there is "no way that installer could
spew install materials onto my other disk drives".
That's why you do it that way. When the install is
finished, you can cable up the fleet again and carry on.

I've done a lot of multiboot setups, and this is the
voice of experience (not skill) talking. For example,
a couple times, I've had installers *erase* disks. Sure,
it doesn't happen all that often, but who wants to
discover the odds the hard way ??? For example, there's
a certain sequence you can do with a Windows 2000 installer
CD, that will erase a disk. One of my early lessons
in hygiene... I got to see TestDisk put the MBR back
and everything, so there was no data loss, but that
was a bit of a miracle and not a sure thing.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 16:14, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Too late for you, but for anyone else with a similar problem try the
free version of VueScan on Win 10 which seems to cope with every scanner
ever invented. If you like it, the full version for about £50 is good.
(Just used this to re-use an old Dimage, but now I use it on my Canon
Lide and Brother "all in 1" too. Only one user interface to remember).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

There's Vuescan.

https://www.hamrick.com/

That's not necessarily a cost-effective solution.

Only a certain class of scanners (really valuable ones),
would justify using that. Like maybe one of the good
slide scanners with 9600dpi resolution or so.

*******

You can use a virtual machine to run a scanner, but
one of the decent images (provided by Microsoft) is
no longer available for download. There was a
Windows 7 Enterprise VM that doesn't need activation
(but, it only runs for half an hour at a time...).

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

I crossed my fingers and just let the upgrade happen (files are
regularly backed-up so were available if disaster struck) - all was well
until a few weeks later when I got nags that my MS Office was not
registered. I couldn't find the original licence info so, after arguing
with MS support for a while, gave up and bought a cheap copy of the
latest version. No problems since then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
I had a Samsung scanner that wouldn't. At all. I gave it away to someone
with Win 7.

I installed Windows 10 on an all-in-one PC with a touchpanel that shipped
with 7. I did manage to get the touchpanel to work on Windows 10, but it
took a lot of messing with force-installing old versions of the Windows 7
drivers.

Then a Windows 10 update came in and broke it. I never got it to work
again.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

if win10 sees some applications it doesn't like, it just tends to remove
them during the upgrade ... it's only done this with "small utilities"
to me, not eg whole office suites.

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

backup the PC, download the Win10 Media Creation Tool, put it on a 8GB+
usb stick, boot from the stick, and do an upgrade install ... should
just work, I've done dozens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

The process took about six hours for each computer.

You should wind the handle faster!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Win 10 scanner app handles my 1999 epson perfection 1200Photo scanner
without any problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who says that you should update? I'm not convinced its worth it for just one
application myself.
If its home banking you know there is now a version of Edge browser for
windows 7, and it works very well. So much for Microsoft not wanting us to
use it, if they did not want that, why make a bespoke edge for windows 7?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The one thing I'd like to see in windows 10, is the ability to keep software
as installed, ie all the registry entries etc. I know for example that the
adapted version of Outlook Express I am using here in windows 7cos I hate
other solutions, will be unceremoniously trashed by windows 10, but will re
install, but minus all the registry entries built up in kill files message
rules etc over many years. If the damn thing can work in 10, which it does,
why trash it? Cos they have to power to tell you they want you to get
Microsoft 365 subscription and use outlook, a sledgehammer of a program.
Come on Microsoft bring back some more domestic software at an affordable
price or let us use the old stuff. The same thing will happen to my old
version of word as well of course, but that won't run.
Brian

--
----- --

"Pancho" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
[...]

I've already changed the HD to an SSD by cloning the original HD. Which is
now in a caddy, and where I've backed up to.

Install W10 fresh from USB (software downloaded from Microsoft).
Activate using Win7 credentials or £2 licence off ebay if they don't
work..

Copy back the files you want.

That would mean re-installing all the non MS apps I use. I do realise some
if not all will need updating, but hoped this could be done as part of the
process.

--
*By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

That would mean re-installing all the non MS apps I use. I do realise some
if not all will need updating, but hoped this could be done as part of the
process.

no need to wipe your ssd, or perform a clean install, just do an upgrade
install, mostly it'll survive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
[...]

Yep.

My strategy is partly safety and partly good housekeeping, but if you
already have the original disk for safety, just run the automatic
upgrade and see what happens.

FWIW Thunderbird really is quite good, I would recommend using it rather
than Outlook Express.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an
external HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if
anything goes wrong to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do
a second backup of the files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

Be cautious about proprietary backup processes which back up parts of the PC
to a humungous backup file. You would need the same program on the recipient
PC (ie after upgrade to Win10) to extract any files that hadn't been
preserved.

I tend to use Microsoft SyncToy (other similar programs are available, such
as Robocopy) which make a simple file-and-folder backup of selected
directories, so you can do a simple copy of selected files or folders from
the backup drive, without needing special software to extract them from the
amorphous single backup file.

As a tip, open Control Panel | Programs and Features and screenprint the
list of all the installed programs, so you know what to put back if the
upgrade doesn't preserve it. Also take a screenshot of the desktop so the
layout of the icons that you have carefully arranged (if you're anything
like me!) can be restored. Maybe also find how your browser stored saved
username/password for sites, and either copy the relevant files or
screenprint a list of them.

Make sure you have a copy of all the email files and folders in case the
upgrade screws them up. Likewise make sure you know email settings (POP/SMTP
servers, ports, encryption method, username/password) in case you need to
re-make anything.

In short: assume that the upgrade process will make a real hash of the
upgrade, leaving the PC in a worse state than it started - and be pleasantly
surprised if it works OK ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 20:51, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
You must have enough room on the drive though, so my feeling is to clone 7
over to a bigger drive, keep the old drive and update the new one, you can
roll back anyway, but not after a certain time.

You need about 10GB free... you might get away with a bit less.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

I would start with the media creation tool. If doing more than one
machine, then you have it make a bootable USB drive rather than telling
it to update the machine its on (it will save having to download it
multiple times). Having said that, if you have fast broadband, then you
may not care (it downloads about 3.5G).

Prior to running it, make sure you are up to date with windows update,
and there are none pending on next reboot. If you have optional drivers
than can be updated by windows update, then let it do those.

Run the disk cleanup tool, an let it delete all the temporary files etc.

Once you are ready, boot from the USB drive, and follow the prompts.
Skip entering the serial number.

If you want to use the media creation tool directly, then running it
from an admin level command prompt with the command line:

MediaCreationTool2004 /Action UpgradeNow

will get shot of some of the interactive bits - basically just asking
you to accept the license terms and then getting on with it.

I find with the prep, it takes about 10 to 30 mins of my time per
machine. The process (with decent broadband, i5 CPU and solid state
drive) probably about 40 mins to an hour to complete. Can be quite a bit
longer on slower hardware.

It is successful most of the time, and when it does fail it has always
done so gracefully so far, and restarted back in Win7.

Most of the failures are things like disk space, or somewhat messed up
windows update states. Deleting the whole

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Then re-running windows update will fix most of those. On more obscure
hardware (older laptops etc[1]), deleting the display driver and
reverting to the windows basic display driver before doing the update
can help.

The last gottcha I find now and then is on machines with insufficient
space in the system reserved partition - it needs about 300MB or so of
space. I have posted a procedure for fixing that here in the past.

[1] I did have one dell laptop that booted normally into 10, but then
gave a completely blank screen when it switched to the final desktop
screen. I found it would however let you plug in an external monitor and
could switch to that ok. At that point I had to flash the BIOS to a
later version to fix the internal screen problem.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The CD arrived this morning. Instructions with it says to turn off
upgrades on the choices early on. Which I did. It then stopped saying the
Realtek Bluetooth Radio driver had to be updated before it could proceed.
Then spent ages trying to find the new driver for my laptop without
success. Including at the HP and Realtek sites.

Turned on auto upgrade and it is now installing. ;-) So I'd guess it found
it.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2020 11:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

That would mean re-installing all the non MS apps I use. I do realise
some
if not all will need updating, but hoped this could be done as part of
the
process.

no need to wipe your ssd, or perform a clean install, just do an upgrade
install, mostly it'll survive

But back everything up at least twice and to independent media.
And ideally verify that the saved backup data matches the original.

If something goes wrong then Murphy's law applies and the damage will
inevitably hit the most irreplaceable data that you have on the disk.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would start with the media creation tool. If doing more than one
machine, then you have it make a bootable USB drive rather than telling
it to update the machine its on (it will save having to download it
multiple times). Having said that, if you have fast broadband, then you
may not care (it downloads about 3.5G).

Prior to running it, make sure you are up to date with windows update,
and there are none pending on next reboot. If you have optional drivers
than can be updated by windows update, then let it do those.

One thing I have noticed is that the media creation tool uses the latest
version of windows 10 which can be a time saver as all the security
updates are rolled into it.

This then has two benefits.

The first is that you do not need to waste time downloading and
installing windows 10 updates after installing WIn 10.

The second is that if you install older versions of windows 10, there is
a security risk until you have downloaded and installed the updates. By
using the latest updated version of win 10 form the start reduces the risk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2020 15:36, Pancho wrote:
[...]

This. Don't **** about upgrading in place. New disk and start from
scratch. Reinstall only what you use when you need it instead of
curating a sack of cack software of questionable vintage and security
status.

If your laptop came pre-installed with Win7 (i.e Dell or HP or Lenovo
etc.) your licence will be in the BIOS already and W10 should re-licence
itself when it reboots after installing drivers etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an
external HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if
anything goes wrong to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do
a second backup of the files I know I might want later? JPGs and so
on.

Be cautious about proprietary backup processes which back up parts of the
PC to a humungous backup file. You would need the same program on the
recipient PC (ie after upgrade to Win10) to extract any files that hadn't
been preserved.

Yes, but the bit advantage of using one of those for the
backup is that it can do it while you use the PC and so
you don't have to do something else while doing the
backup and the backup is usually much quicker too.

I tend to use Microsoft SyncToy (other similar programs are available,
such as Robocopy) which make a simple file-and-folder backup of selected
directories, so you can do a simple copy of selected files or folders from
the backup drive, without needing special software to extract them from
the amorphous single backup file.

But those are quite crude performance wise.

As a tip, open Control Panel | Programs and Features and screenprint the
list of all the installed programs, so you know what to put back if the
upgrade doesn't preserve it. Also take a screenshot of the desktop so the
layout of the icons that you have carefully arranged (if you're anything
like me!) can be restored.

I don't use the desktop at all anymore since 7.
I find the taskbar much more useful now.

Maybe also find how your browser stored saved username/password for sites,
and either copy the relevant files or screenprint a list of them.

A proper image backup is much safer. If you find that
something like that is needed, the most you have to
do is image the new install, restore the old install,
get that stuff from the wherever it is, restore the
new install and move that stuff manually.

Make sure you have a copy of all the email files and folders in case the
upgrade screws them up.

I don't do that anymore either, I leave them all on
the server and read and write them using the app.

Likewise make sure you know email settings (POP/SMTP servers, ports,
encryption method, username/password) in case you need to re-make
anything.

Ditto.

In short: assume that the upgrade process will make a real hash of the
upgrade, leaving the PC in a worse state than it started - and be
pleasantly surprised if it works OK ;-)

But a full image of the original install does that much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 05:46:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 4:39:17 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

The free version of VueScan watermarks all its pages, doesn't it? ie.
it's of no intrinsic use except to get you to buy the full version.

I would be keen to try out VueScan more (it can work under Linux, and that
would allow me to ditch needing a VM to run my scanner SW). But that model
I find irritating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pancho" wrote in message
In article ,
Pancho wrote:
[...]

Too many complaints about it for my liking and those having
to run old versions for some reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
[...]

Could you rotate the paper, do several scans, and recover the bits
not watermarked ? :-)

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 08:35:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
This. Don't **** about upgrading in place. New disk and start from
scratch. Reinstall only what you use when you need it instead of
curating a sack of cack software of questionable vintage and security
status.

I'm not in the habit of installing software I'll not use. ;-)

If your laptop came pre-installed with Win7 (i.e Dell or HP or Lenovo
etc.) your licence will be in the BIOS already and W10 should re-licence
itself when it reboots after installing drivers etc.

The upgrade CD I bought came with a key, which wasn't needed.

--
*Home cooking. Where many a man thinks his wife is.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 10:37:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
This. Don't **** about upgrading in place. New disk and start from
scratch. Reinstall only what you use when you need it instead of
curating a sack of cack software of questionable vintage and security
status.

I'm not in the habit of installing software I'll not use. ;-)

I think he was talking about the 'shovelware' that often comes with a
laptop bought though the std retail network.

They come with all sorts of crud pre-installed, both makers own
utilities (that few ever use) and other stuff, like Norton AV as a way
of reducing the price.

Whenever I've had to replace a failed hard drive for someone, I rarely
re-install (download or an extra utilities CD, if they have kept it
that is) anything, yet the PC works fine (and often faster). The only
issue is if it came with the likes of Office installed, and they say
they need it. Libre Office/OO is often a useable replacement, as long
as they were only using it for the odd letter or the kids homework.

Mind you, if they have kids in full time education they can often get
MS Office free in any case.

If your laptop came pre-installed with Win7 (i.e Dell or HP or Lenovo
etc.) your licence will be in the BIOS already and W10 should re-licence
itself when it reboots after installing drivers etc.

The upgrade CD I bought

I really don't get that .... same as a mate who has 'bought' Linux
DVD's that you can download and put on DVD / USB the same day
yourself?

came with a key, which wasn't needed.

Possibly just as well, as you never know if / when it get's
blacklisted. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2020 23:35, Rod Speed wrote:

FWIW Thunderbird really is quite good, I would recommend using it
rather than Outlook Express.

Too many complaints about it for my liking and those having
to run old versions for some reason.

I switched from Outlook Express to Thunderbird many years ago (10+?), at
the time the usability was about the same. In the interim Thunderbird
has improved a lot, Outlook Express hasn't changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 15:10:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

I did two laptop machines in March, a Win7 pro and a Win 7 Home
edition (actually a Netbook). Both OEM so came supplied with the OS.

The procedure I followed and itworked on both with no particular
messing was:

1) Take a backup first. Personally I like Clonezilla but the free
Macrium Reflect also would work.

2 Ceate a USB with the Windows 10 Media Creation disk

3 Boot into Win7 as usual on the machine you want to convert (I won't
use the term upgrade).

4) Browse to and run the Setup on the USB Media Creation disk.

All programs, data etc and licensing maintained.

Can't recall how long it took, couple of hours. I wire the ethernet
connection on jobs like this.

Good luck.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pancho" wrote in message
On 25/06/2020 23:35, Rod Speed wrote:

FWIW Thunderbird really is quite good, I would recommend using it rather
than Outlook Express.

Too many complaints about it for my liking and those having
to run old versions for some reason.

I switched from Outlook Express to Thunderbird many years ago (10+?), at
the time the usability was about the same. In the interim Thunderbird has
improved a lot,

And has seen plenty seeing stuff get broken. Like the
current comment about an alleged security breach.

Outlook Express hasn't changed.

And that is one of the big advantages of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 07:01:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 11:39:33 +0100, T i m wrote:

came with a key, which wasn't needed.

Possibly just as well, as you never know if / when it get's
blacklisted. ;-(

Don't need a key for Win 10 anyway. You can download the iso install
it and use it without having to pay to "activate" it. Some of the
personalisation doesn't work and there is a light overlay in the
bottom right corner "Activate Windows" otherwise it fuctions exactly
the same as an "activated" Windows 10.

There is also a "bare bones" Windows 10 out there somewhere that may
not include concertina or the nagging to "login into windows" and/or
one dive etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Win10 latest update Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 14 August 24th 18 02:56 PM
Win7 printer hint Paul D Smith UK diy 2 December 4th 12 08:49 PM
which headsets work under Win7 Pro 32? David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 2 March 20th 12 06:27 PM
OT'ish: Win7 32 bit and 64 bit OEM licences NoSpam UK diy 27 March 8th 12 11:16 PM
Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7 Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 60 April 3rd 10 02:48 AM