Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Updating Win7 to Win10

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 15:10:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

Go to YouTube and search for something like your Subject Line above.

You will find at least several videos. Watch a few, eliminating those who look untrustworthy or do not speak English properly. You will find substantial agreement between the others; do what they say.

One warning - sometimes the process sticks for a long time at fetching updates 46%, as related in another thread. Leave it for several hours if so; I repeatedly found 2 hours not long enough, but on the last occasion I got distracted, and by 3 hours it had finished that stage and wanted permission to proceed.

Of course, you could try a Google search for microsoft windows update 7 to 10 and then a poke around - with luck, you'll find
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
which is where the YouTubers all said to go. Then JRTI, as Elon Musk would say, after IMB.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To, if any. |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mostly good news.

First being I actually quite like Win10. Should have done it years ago.

The desktop I use as part of the AV system upgraded OK - after a bit of a
fight.

But the workshop one, not. I'd guess the motherboard is simply too old,
although Goggle says the processor OK for 64 bit Win 10

It's never used for gaming. I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 on the 24" monitor.
But:-

It has a sound card with balanced in and outs and all the pro digital
formats. Handy for me. I'd guess a new card that does that, and arm and a
leg. I also make use of the serial port (RS232) for MegaSquirt.

So what would the team recommend for a new motherboard? ATX. Already have
a 1T SSD as the main disc. And how much memory? And where from?

Not found Asus that reliable. Is there a better make?

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Mostly good news.

First being I actually quite like Win10. Should have done it years ago.

The desktop I use as part of the AV system upgraded OK - after a bit of a
fight.

But the workshop one, not. I'd guess the motherboard is simply too old,
although Goggle says the processor OK for 64 bit Win 10

It's never used for gaming. I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 on the 24" monitor.
But:-

It has a sound card with balanced in and outs and all the pro digital
formats. Handy for me. I'd guess a new card that does that, and arm and a
leg. I also make use of the serial port (RS232) for MegaSquirt.

So what would the team recommend for a new motherboard? ATX. Already have
a 1T SSD as the main disc. And how much memory? And where from?

Not found Asus that reliable.

Never had any problem with any of mine and
the upgrades have been for more performance
with a better cpu, not because of any failure.

The only one that did fail was a Gigabyte.

Is there a better make?

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 07:21:50 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as cantankerous

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Dave,

Long time no speak!

How are you getting on with your upgrade?

Or are you still at the planning stage?

I was going to DIY mine, and bought some bits
(Half GB SSD and a usb to SATA thingy (didnt work well with W7, but has been rock solid on W10)

But its 20 years since I did SOHO Stuff on a regular basis (Im still a second line computer bodger - second class in the public sector, but its a different world).

So I got a friend to do the upgrade In exchange for a fistful of beer tokens. He also found enough second hand RAM to double it (now 8GB).

I also bought some goop for the top of the cpu in case the blue screening Id been getting on W7 was due to the old stuff failing.

ANother friend had suggested cloning the HDD onto the SSD and doing an in place upgrade (or whatever they call them), but my Friend favoured a clean install. I dont know how much time he did or didnt take finding drivers for stuff (maybe it all just worked).

I found there was PLENTY For me to do once it came back, Reinstalling Apps and drivers, etc. Ive not managed to install Norton 360 yet (as W Defender said NO, and Ive not had time to try again. Hopefully defender is as good???

Pretty much all the stuff Ive installed so far has worked, and its so much quicker and reliable.

The only thing I gave up on was an old Trust webcam. Maybe Id have cracked it if Id persevered, but I threw the towel in and put it on eBay (with a health warning).

Fortunately I was able to borrow one from work (I wfh now due to C 19, so I use it on both my desktop and my work laptop (arent docking stations wonderful!).

Then my daughter came to me as she needed some way to get an additional video input to her Mac. We were both surprised her digital camera wouldnt do this without extra hardware, so Ive not seen my webcam for a week or so now. I did wonder if I shouldnt have sold the Trust, maybe that would have worked? But it will be a short term loan, as
She is going to buy a higher res webcam when the top peoples shop have them in stock (her mother thinks eBay and Amazon are tools of the devil (I have been sold crap on eBay a few times, and they are the transactions she remembers despite all the other stuff being flawless, cheap
And very green (second hand, no manufacturing costs / materials and very little miles transport compared with buying the equivalent item in JL)

Anyways, how is your upgrade going?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friends upgraded laptop just crashed, hes not that technical.

Its reverted to W8, and hes locked out of his hotmail.

Hes also poor / tight.

All the official sources of help either want megabucks youll need a new licence / new laptop sir, £129 or £300!

And all he can get out of Hotmail is you will have to wait 30 days

I put him onto yet another friend of mine who does SOHO,
But he baulked at £90 to get out of jail.

He is going to take it to a clued up friend who is local to him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mostly good news.

First being I actually quite like Win10. Should have done it years ago.

The desktop I use as part of the AV system upgraded OK - after a bit of a
fight.

But the workshop one, not. I'd guess the motherboard is simply too old,
although Goggle says the processor OK for 64 bit Win 10

I take it Win10 declined to install for board compatibility reasons?

It's never used for gaming. I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 on the 24" monitor.
But:-

It has a sound card with balanced in and outs and all the pro digital
formats. Handy for me. I'd guess a new card that does that, and arm and a
leg. I also make use of the serial port (RS232) for MegaSquirt.

I'd just continue to run Win7 until it dies if you have expensive
dedicated hardware that has no equivalent drivers on Win10.

Worth asking around in case anyone knows of third party drivers for it
or a port onto Linux that would allow you to continue to use it.

So what would the team recommend for a new motherboard? ATX. Already have
a 1T SSD as the main disc. And how much memory? And where from?

Not found Asus that reliable. Is there a better make?

Do the sums first to decide if it is worth the time and hassle.

My last PC I got from a gaming PC maker and after deleting the high end
graphics card entirely I got a system built for about the retail cost of
the components. They took some convincing that I really knew what I
wanted. The on chip graphics of Pentiums since the 4000 graphics engine
are actually marginally faster for 2D graphics than high end cards!

The only thing I had to do was tame the fan noise with a few silicone
washers. The cooling is vastly over specified CPU presently 40C.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mostly good news.

First being I actually quite like Win10. Should have done it years ago.

The desktop I use as part of the AV system upgraded OK - after a bit of a
fight.

But the workshop one, not. I'd guess the motherboard is simply too old,
although Goggle says the processor OK for 64 bit Win 10

When you say "not", was that it failed to upgrade with an error, or
refused to try with a warning about some component of the system?

(I ask because I have not yet found a machine I could not upgrade -
although some take more work than others)

It's never used for gaming. I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 on the 24" monitor.
But:-

It has a sound card with balanced in and outs and all the pro digital
formats. Handy for me. I'd guess a new card that does that, and arm and a
leg. I also make use of the serial port (RS232) for MegaSquirt.

Serial is ok under win 10. So long as any drivers required for
megasquirt are.

So what would the team recommend for a new motherboard? ATX. Already have
a 1T SSD as the main disc. And how much memory? And where from?

Not found Asus that reliable. Is there a better make?

From my experience, I have found ASUS to be one of the top tier
motherboard makers, and routinely buy them as my first choice for my own
machines. Failures are IME very rare. Having said that, there are plenty
to choose from that can be ok as well. Asrock are ok, and Gigabyte used
to be pretty good, although I have not used any recently.

--
Cheers,

John.

Win10 latest update Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 14 August 24th 18 01:56 PM
Win7 printer hint Paul D Smith UK diy 2 December 4th 12 07:49 PM
which headsets work under Win7 Pro 32? David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 2 March 20th 12 05:27 PM
OT'ish: Win7 32 bit and 64 bit OEM licences NoSpam UK diy 27 March 8th 12 10:16 PM
Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7 Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 60 April 3rd 10 01:48 AM