Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT'ish: Win7 32 bit and 64 bit OEM licences

I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is
OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland
"NoSpam" wrote in message
I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD bought
from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I have a 32
bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is broken so it
looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is OEM,
not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

The licence keys are different. Did you buy the machine and software from
Novatech at the same time? If so you might have a good case against them.

Regards from

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2012 16:30, Peter Crosland wrote:
Peter Crosland
wrote in message
I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD bought
from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I have a 32
bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is broken so it
looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is OEM,
not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

The licence keys are different. Did you buy the machine and software from
Novatech at the same time? If so you might have a good case against them.

Regards from

No, I'm re-vamping my X60s with an SSD and (supposedly) Win7. I should
have run the MS compatibility tool first :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

install linux, set up a 32 bit virtual computer and install the windoze
on that.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:56:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
[...]

Any one got Snow Leopard to install _&_ boot in a VM?

Avpx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
[...]

Dunno, but I keep thinking of doing it..

Or an out-and-out hackintosh..

I must say my original comment was ******** - I thought he had a 32 bit
os and a 64 bit puter - but its the other way round.

Obncuiouly you cant build a 64 bit VM on a 32 bit platform.:-(

Avpx

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

install linux, set up a 32 bit virtual computer and install the windoze on
that.

How does that solve the problem?
He still can't use his 64 bit key!

Its probably cheaper to get a new cpu and MB than another copy of windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is OEM,
not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

If you refuse the license conditions don't M$ offer a refund these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2012 21:30, dennis@home wrote:

install linux, set up a 32 bit virtual computer and install the
windoze on that.

How does that solve the problem?
He still can't use his 64 bit key!

Its probably cheaper to get a new cpu and MB than another copy of windows.

It's for a Lenovo Thinkpad, so not so easy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that's probably what I'll have to do if I can't find a buyer
elsewhere. It cost £116.99 so yours (or someones!) for £100
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 4:04*pm, NoSpam wrote:
I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is
OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

have you tried the key, I think they should be interchangeable (http://
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-
a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-
fd7feb7d1915 confirms this)

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I am half tempted

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrong way around.

I don't know why, at present anyone wants 64 bit. seems to me that
everything costs more if you do this and so many bits of software are still
32 bit its rather pointless.
Can you not sell the thing on something and buy a 32 bit version?

Brian

Email:

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
NoSpam wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote
Peter Crosland wrote

[...]

You can use a lot more physical ram.

seems to me that everything costs more if you do this

Nope. Some dstros like mine come with both.

and so many bits of software are still 32 bit its rather pointless.

Nope.You can still use more physical ram and it runs 32 bit apps fine.

Can you not sell the thing on something and buy a 32 bit version?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Warby" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 4:04 pm, NoSpam wrote:
I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is
OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

have you tried the key, I think they should be interchangeable (http://
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-
a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-
fd7feb7d1915 confirms this)

They are for the retail versions, they may not be for the oem versions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I don't know why, at present anyone wants 64 bit.

To use more than 2 gigabytes per process, or more than 3 and a bit
gigabytes of memory overall.

seems to me that everything costs more if you do this

I can't think of anything that costs more, unless you do choose to add
extra memory, most processors have had 64 bit instructions for years,
the O/P seems particularly unlucky to have chosen a 32 bit laptop.

and so many bits of software are still 32 bit its rather pointless.

They still run though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 14:50:44 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
NoSpam wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote
Peter Crosland wrote

[...]

Be careful though, if you do run the 64 bit version of apps (Office
springs to mind). They are missing some VBA libraries which means any
macros in spreadsheets need to be updated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
NoSpam wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote
Peter Crosland wrote

[...]

Mine didnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2012 09:53, Jethro wrote:

Be careful though, if you do run the 64 bit version of apps (Office
springs to mind). They are missing some VBA libraries which means any
macros in spreadsheets need to be updated.

Yup. Current recommendation from Microsoft is to stick with 32bit
versions of Office 2010, even on a 64bit platform.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPDATE: Win7 32 bit and 64 bit OEM licences

On 06/03/2012 16:04, NoSpam wrote:
I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is
OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

Well I can now confirm that, regardless of what is said many times in
fora and on websites, the 32 bit version of Win7 Pro OEM installs and
runs perfectly happily using the key from the equivalent 64 bit version
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 3:47*pm, NoSpam wrote:
On 06/03/2012 16:04, NoSpam wrote:

I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is
OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

Well I can now confirm that, regardless of what is said many times in
fora and on websites, the 32 bit version of Win7 Pro OEM installs and
runs perfectly happily using the key from the equivalent 64 bit version

Gues who was one of those so sure that it wouldn't work ;-)

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:47 pm, NoSpam wrote:
On 06/03/2012 16:04, NoSpam wrote:

I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM DVD
bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now realise that I
have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange it because the seal is
broken so it looks like it might be an expensive mistake UNLESS ...
Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version? (This is
OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32 bit media from
somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

Well I can now confirm that, regardless of what is said many times in
fora and on websites, the 32 bit version of Win7 Pro OEM installs and
runs perfectly happily using the key from the equivalent 64 bit version

Gues who was one of those so sure that it wouldn't work ;-)

Well the upgrade copy of Home Premium I bought had 64 bit and 32 bit
media in the box, and only one key....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I don't know why, at present anyone wants 64 bit.

To use more than 2 gigabytes per process, or more than 3 and a bit
gigabytes of memory overall.

I'm pretty sure 32 bit Windows supports PAE (total memory 4GB).
Given it was just about the last x86 OS to go 64 bit, it would have
been one hell of a handicap to be stuck with 4GB memory that long.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 11:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In articleJbOdnSfEA4SDisrSnZ2dnUVZ8nWdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Andy writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I don't know why, at present anyone wants 64 bit.

To use more than 2 gigabytes per process, or more than 3 and a bit
gigabytes of memory overall.

I'm pretty sure 32 bit Windows supports PAE (total memory 4GB).
Given it was just about the last x86 OS to go 64 bit, it would have
been one hell of a handicap to be stuck with 4GB memory that long.

Server, yes, XP, no.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote
Andy Burns wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I don't know why, at present anyone wants 64 bit.

To use more than 2 gigabytes per process, or more
than 3 and a bit gigabytes of memory overall.

I'm pretty sure 32 bit Windows supports PAE (total memory 4GB).

Nope, not for use by normal apps it doesnt.

You dont even get the full 4GB if thats whats installed.

Given it was just about the last x86 OS to go 64 bit, it would have
been one hell of a handicap to be stuck with 4GB memory that long.

It was anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I'm pretty sure 32 bit Windows supports PAE (total memory 4GB).

Only Advanced/Enterprise/Datacentre Server editions IIRC, not
Workstation/Home/Professional/Standard Server editions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 9:30*pm, "dennis@home" wrote:

Its probably cheaper to get a new cpu and MB than another copy of windows..

Isn't that absolutely ridiculous!

A complete encyclopaedia, hell most of a library, would fit on a CD
and cost about 50 pence to produce, package and deliver to a retailer.

OT'ish Rotating House. mark UK diy 20 February 17th 11 02:32 PM
Needhams EMP30 EPROM programmer on Win7 Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 60 April 3rd 10 01:48 AM
TV Licences revisited Harvey Van Sickle UK diy 17 January 27th 05 04:28 PM