Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT'ish: Win7 32 bit and 64 bit OEM licences

Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
NoSpam wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote
Peter Crosland wrote

I was about to migrate to Win7 Professional 64 bit (using an OEM
DVD bought from Novatech) but, having tried and failed, I now
realise that I have a 32 bit processor! Novatech won't exchange
it because the seal is broken so it looks like it might be an
expensive mistake UNLESS ...

Can a 64 bit OEM licence key be used for the 32 bit version?
(This is OEM, not retail). If it can then I only to borrow the 32
bit media from somewhere, but web searches give conflicting advice.

The licence keys are different. Did you buy the machine and
software from Novatech at the same time? If so you might have a
good case against them.

No, I'm re-vamping my X60s with an SSD and (supposedly) Win7.
I should have run the MS compatibility tool first :-(

install linux, set up a 32 bit virtual computer and install the windoze on that.

Wrong way around.

I don't know why, at present anyone wants 64 bit.

You can use a lot more physical ram.

seems to me that everything costs more if you do this

Nope. Some dstros like mine come with both.

and so many bits of software are still 32 bit its rather pointless.

Nope.You can still use more physical ram and it runs 32 bit apps fine.

Be careful though, if you do run the 64 bit version of apps
(Office springs to mind). They are missing some VBA libraries
which means any macros in spreadsheets need to be updated.

Mine didnt.