Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Updating Win7 to Win10

Mostly good news.

First being I actually quite like Win10. Should have done it years ago.

The desktop I use as part of the AV system upgraded OK - after a bit of a
fight.

But the workshop one, not. I'd guess the motherboard is simply too old,
although Goggle says the processor OK for 64 bit Win 10

I take it Win10 declined to install for board compatibility reasons?

It's never used for gaming. I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 on the 24" monitor.
But:-

It has a sound card with balanced in and outs and all the pro digital
formats. Handy for me. I'd guess a new card that does that, and arm and a
leg. I also make use of the serial port (RS232) for MegaSquirt.

I'd just continue to run Win7 until it dies if you have expensive
dedicated hardware that has no equivalent drivers on Win10.

Worth asking around in case anyone knows of third party drivers for it
or a port onto Linux that would allow you to continue to use it.

So what would the team recommend for a new motherboard? ATX. Already have
a 1T SSD as the main disc. And how much memory? And where from?

Not found Asus that reliable. Is there a better make?

Do the sums first to decide if it is worth the time and hassle.

My last PC I got from a gaming PC maker and after deleting the high end
graphics card entirely I got a system built for about the retail cost of
the components. They took some convincing that I really knew what I
wanted. The on chip graphics of Pentiums since the 4000 graphics engine
are actually marginally faster for 2D graphics than high end cards!

The only thing I had to do was tame the fan noise with a few silicone
washers. The cooling is vastly over specified CPU presently 40C.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown