Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win10 latest update

My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update,
so I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update,
for several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it couldn't load
my personal settings - then just stopped with a black screen, with the
announcement in the top corner. I eventually forced a reboot, same
result, then the same again. At the fourth attempted reboot, it all
loaded up as normal, as if nothing untoward had happened.

I then ran a virus check and a HDD health check, no problems reported.
Anyone else had a problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2018 18:13, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update,
so I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update,
for several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it couldn't load
my personal settings - then just stopped with a black screen, with the
announcement in the top corner. I eventually forced a reboot, same
result, then the same again. At the fourth attempted reboot, it all
loaded up as normal, as if nothing untoward had happened.

I then ran a virus check and a HDD health check, no problems reported.
Anyone else had a problem?

normal behaviour for windows 10 ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2018 18:13, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update,
so I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update,
for several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it couldn't load
my personal settings - then just stopped with a black screen, with the
announcement in the top corner. I eventually forced a reboot, same
result, then the same again. At the fourth attempted reboot, it all
loaded up as normal, as if nothing untoward had happened.

I then ran a virus check and a HDD health check, no problems reported.
Anyone else had a problem?

A recent small update caused no problems here.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2018 18:13, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update,
so I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update,
for several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it couldn't load
my personal settings - then just stopped with a black screen, with the
announcement in the top corner. I eventually forced a reboot, same
result, then the same again. At the fourth attempted reboot, it all
loaded up as normal, as if nothing untoward had happened.

I then ran a virus check and a HDD health check, no problems reported.
Anyone else had a problem?

There was a known problem with one of the recent (ish) updates that
caused some people to have issues similar to those you describe.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not just win 10, a couple of weeks ago a windows 7 update stopped my machine
from getting past a bios message. I had to get a sighted person in to go
into bios and change the boot settings to a fixed option to get it back.
I'm suspicious that they did not test the system with enough settings
before they put it out. A friend had more troubles and it booted part way
and then give up in win10, and when he tried to roll back it reported an
error and suggested a windows reinstall was the only way out.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update, so
I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update, for
several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it couldn't load my
personal settings - then just stopped with a black screen, with the
announcement in the top corner. I eventually forced a reboot, same result,
then the same again. At the fourth attempted reboot, it all loaded up as
normal, as if nothing untoward had happened.

I then ran a virus check and a HDD health check, no problems reported.
Anyone else had a problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
nah xp is cool ....

Exactly, I put XP on a new ssd in a not so slow computer and you should
hear the screams from all and sundry of all the dire consequences about
viruses etc, did not have problems in all the years I have used it I so
why would they start now,

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Windows anything in my view.
Brian

--
----- --

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 22/08/2018 18:13, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update,
so I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update,
for several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it couldn't load
my personal settings - then just stopped with a black screen, with the
announcement in the top corner. I eventually forced a reboot, same
result, then the same again. At the fourth attempted reboot, it all
loaded up as normal, as if nothing untoward had happened.

I then ran a virus check and a HDD health check, no problems reported.
Anyone else had a problem?
normal behaviour for windows 10 ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/18 10:29, FMurtz wrote:
Exactly, I put XP on a new ssd in a not so slow computer and you should
hear the screams from all and sundry of all the dire consequences about
viruses etc, did not have problems in all the years I have used it I so
why would they start now,

Lucky you.

My XP runs faster on a virtual machine than it ever did on the
hardware.... but it isn't allowed anywhere near the internet...

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Not just win 10, a couple of weeks ago a windows 7 update stopped my machine
from getting past a bios message. I had to get a sighted person in to go
into bios and change the boot settings to a fixed option to get it back.
I'm suspicious that they did not test the system with enough settings
before they put it out. A friend had more troubles and it booted part way
and then give up in win10, and when he tried to roll back it reported an
error and suggested a windows reinstall was the only way out.

Brian

I put win 10 on an 8.1 laqptop and none of my streaming stuff worked so
I tried to roll it back and same problem, I had to reinstall 8.1 from
scratch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
nah xp is cool ....

Exactly, I put XP on a new ssd in a not so slow computer and you should
hear the screams from all and sundry of all the dire consequences about
viruses etc, did not have problems in all the years I have used it I so
why would they start now,

I have never had ANY problems with XP either...love it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Not just win 10, a couple of weeks ago a windows 7 update stopped my
machine
from getting past a bios message. I had to get a sighted person in to go
into bios and change the boot settings to a fixed option to get it back.
I'm suspicious that they did not test the system with enough settings
before they put it out. A friend had more troubles and it booted part way
and then give up in win10, and when he tried to roll back it reported an
error and suggested a windows reinstall was the only way out.

Brian

I loved the update that gave you 10 minutes of black screen when you logged
on before you could use it ......progress my arse

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2018 08:03, RETRO HAM wrote:
"RETRO HAM" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Not just win 10, a couple of weeks ago a windows 7 update stopped my
machine
from getting past a bios message. I had to get a sighted person in to go
into bios and change the boot settings to a fixed option to get it back.
I'm suspicious that they did not test the system with enough settings
before they put it out. A friend had more troubles and it booted part way
and then give up in win10, and when he tried to roll back it reported an
error and suggested a windows reinstall was the only way out.

Brian

I loved the update that gave you 10 minutes of black screen when you
logged on before you could use it ......progress my arse

not

You mean it is progress?

--
Max Demian