Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default Updating Win7 to Win10

I would start with the media creation tool. If doing more than one
machine, then you have it make a bootable USB drive rather than telling
it to update the machine its on (it will save having to download it
multiple times). Having said that, if you have fast broadband, then you
may not care (it downloads about 3.5G).

Prior to running it, make sure you are up to date with windows update,
and there are none pending on next reboot. If you have optional drivers
than can be updated by windows update, then let it do those.

One thing I have noticed is that the media creation tool uses the latest
version of windows 10 which can be a time saver as all the security
updates are rolled into it.

This then has two benefits.

The first is that you do not need to waste time downloading and
installing windows 10 updates after installing WIn 10.

The second is that if you install older versions of windows 10, there is
a security risk until you have downloaded and installed the updates. By
using the latest updated version of win 10 form the start reduces the risk.