Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Updating Win7 to Win10

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 15:10:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

My banking app is nagging me to do this, so suppose I must.

I'll do my Win7 Pro laptop first.

Have Googled it, but as usual as many questions as answers.

Ideally, the update would retain all my files data and apps. Obviously
some apps may need updating too - but assume they'd tell me if this is so,
if it doesn't happen by magic?

Ebay has plenty CDs etc for sale for a modest sum that promise to do just
this.

I do have the laptop backed up - using the Win7 facility - to an external
HD. Would I be able to retrieve my files from that if anything goes wrong
to the new Win10 while installing? Or should I do a second backup of the
files I know I might want later? JPGs and so on.

As usual, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

I did two laptop machines in March, a Win7 pro and a Win 7 Home
edition (actually a Netbook). Both OEM so came supplied with the OS.

The procedure I followed and itworked on both with no particular
messing was:

1) Take a backup first. Personally I like Clonezilla but the free
Macrium Reflect also would work.

2 Ceate a USB with the Windows 10 Media Creation disk

3 Boot into Win7 as usual on the machine you want to convert (I won't
use the term upgrade).

4) Browse to and run the Setup on the USB Media Creation disk.

All programs, data etc and licensing maintained.

Can't recall how long it took, couple of hours. I wire the ethernet
connection on jobs like this.

Good luck.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?