Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Updating Win7 to Win10

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 10:37:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
This. Don't **** about upgrading in place. New disk and start from
scratch. Reinstall only what you use when you need it instead of
curating a sack of cack software of questionable vintage and security
status.

I'm not in the habit of installing software I'll not use. ;-)

I think he was talking about the 'shovelware' that often comes with a
laptop bought though the std retail network.

They come with all sorts of crud pre-installed, both makers own
utilities (that few ever use) and other stuff, like Norton AV as a way
of reducing the price.

Whenever I've had to replace a failed hard drive for someone, I rarely
re-install (download or an extra utilities CD, if they have kept it
that is) anything, yet the PC works fine (and often faster). The only
issue is if it came with the likes of Office installed, and they say
they need it. Libre Office/OO is often a useable replacement, as long
as they were only using it for the odd letter or the kids homework.

Mind you, if they have kids in full time education they can often get
MS Office free in any case.

If your laptop came pre-installed with Win7 (i.e Dell or HP or Lenovo
etc.) your licence will be in the BIOS already and W10 should re-licence
itself when it reboots after installing drivers etc.

The upgrade CD I bought

I really don't get that .... same as a mate who has 'bought' Linux
DVD's that you can download and put on DVD / USB the same day
yourself?

came with a key, which wasn't needed.

Possibly just as well, as you never know if / when it get's
blacklisted. ;-(

Cheers, T i m