Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Boiler PCB Repair - Part II

The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I keep a couple of fan heaters for such an eventuality. They don't take up
much room.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
GB wrote:
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I keep a couple of fan heaters for such an eventuality. They don't take up
much room.

Yes, I'm just going to get one. It's not quite accurate that the whole
of the house is the same temperature as outside, just some parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he closed
at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately the
weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I got "lucky" when similar happens to me last year

I had heating but no hot water for 2 weeks

I have to bath in what I could boil in a kettle

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I keep a couple of fan heaters for such an eventuality. They don't
take up much room.

Yes, I'm just going to get one. It's not quite accurate that the whole
of the house is the same temperature as outside, just some parts.

Luckily, it's pretty mild for this time of the year. So much for the press
warnings about a hard winter. So far.

--
*Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he closed
at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately the
weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I got "lucky" when similar happens to me last year

I had heating but no hot water for 2 weeks

I have to bath in what I could boil in a kettle

tim

I'm glad I ignored all the advice about changing to a combi boiler. With a
storage system, an immersion heater comes almost free. ;-)

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its always a good idea to keep a spare oil filled heater and a fan heater
about the place for such eventualities.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he closed
at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately the
weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its always a good idea to keep a spare oil filled heater and a fan heater
about the place for such eventualities.

And an actual oil heater if the electricity goes off.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/12/2019 13:45, GB wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* GB wrote:
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I keep a couple of fan heaters for such an eventuality. They don't
take up
much room.

Yes, I'm just going to get one. It's not quite accurate that the whole
of the house is the same temperature as outside, just some parts.

When I had no heating (because I decided to fit new rads and boiler
between Christmas and New Year) it was below zero in the daytime.
I managed with a couple of those 2kW £20 convector heaters and fan
heater. The fan hear would have kept me awake at night.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-h...r-2000w/855FT?

for example.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/12/2019 17:33, ARW wrote:
On 20/12/2019 13:45, GB wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* GB wrote:
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I keep a couple of fan heaters for such an eventuality. They don't
take up
much room.

Yes, I'm just going to get one. It's not quite accurate that the whole
of the house is the same temperature as outside, just some parts.

When I had no heating (because I decided to fit new rads and boiler
between Christmas and New Year) it was below zero in the daytime.
I managed with a couple of those 2kW £20 convector heaters and fan
heater. The fan hear would have kept me awake at night.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-h...r-2000w/855FT?

for example.

I bought this one the other day:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ch-2010c-...00-2000w/941fy

I was about to go and buy a fan heater, but SWMBOI (the final I stands
for Instantly) overruled me.

I'm sure we'll be all right for the next couple of weeks, but it would
have been nice to get the boiler working. Because gas is so much cheaper
than electricity, it would have saved me money to pay for express
delivery of the parts Geoff needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/12/2019 18:08, GB wrote:
On 20/12/2019 17:33, ARW wrote:
On 20/12/2019 13:45, GB wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* GB wrote:
[...]

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/12/2019 19:03, ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

It's a big TV screen, showing a picture of some flames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

That looped on to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgYW1iDh0A

I hought you were about to hit the lamp post at 15s in, but no such luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/12/2019 19:13, GB wrote:
On 20/12/2019 19:03, ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

It's a big TV screen, showing a picture of some flames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

That looped on to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgYW1iDh0A

I hought you were about to hit the lamp post at 15s in, but no such
luck.

Last thing I hit was a wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpoEgTUQDc

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2019 13:59, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I got "lucky" when similar happens to me last year

I had heating but no hot water for 2 weeks

I have to bath in what I could boil in a kettle

Electric shower - cover most bases.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 December 2019 20:09:46 UTC, RJH wrote:
On 20/12/2019 13:59, tim... wrote:

The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I got "lucky" when similar happens to me last year

I had heating but no hot water for 2 weeks

I have to bath in what I could boil in a kettle

Electric shower - cover most bases.

--
Cheers, Rob

I had a gas smart meter fitted a few years back. Come November I noticed that the meter wasnt updating. I eventually called the Gas board and was told no engineers were available - it was the year of the bad floods in England - and all the Scottish engineers had been sent down there. Braw free gas I thought but it was a very mild winter and we didnt need much heating, we actually had the heating off for a while. Took them 6 weeks to refit a dial meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
I bought this one the other day:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ch-2010c-...00-2000w/941fy

I was about to go and buy a fan heater, but SWMBOI (the final I stands
for Instantly) overruled me.

Beauty of a fan heater for emergency use is it heats up the room more
quickly than any other type. And is small to store afterwards. The second
part being rather important, if you think about it - unless you have
plenty storage.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/12/2019 13:59, tim... wrote:

[...]

I would have fitted my own meter.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 19:03:45 +0000
ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

At £1,700 that is some fire!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

At £1,700 that is some fire!

Plus me and a joiner 6 hours to remove the old small gas fire (that had
no gas supply) and fit it.

Well 4 hours for me as I spend 2 hours adding some extra sensors to the
electric gates so that they do not close on on his car again:-)

This car

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...ars-pictures7/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

At £1,700 that is some fire!

Plus me and a joiner 6 hours to remove the old small gas fire (that had
no gas supply) and fit it.

Well 4 hours for me as I spend 2 hours adding some extra sensors to the
electric gates so that they do not close on on his car again:-)

This car

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...ars-pictures7/

Thanks for that. I'd been wondering what sort of person could both want
and afford such a fire.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

At £1,700 that is some fire!

Plus me and a joiner 6 hours to remove the old small gas fire (that
had no gas supply) and fit it.

Well 4 hours for me as I spend 2 hours adding some extra sensors to
the electric gates so that they do not close on on his car again:-)

This car

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...ars-pictures7/

Thanks for that.Â* I'd been wondering what sort of person could both want
and afford such a fire.

Any self respecting gate would close on that car

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

At £1,700 that is some fire!

Plus me and a joiner 6 hours to remove the old small gas fire (that
had no gas supply) and fit it.

Well 4 hours for me as I spend 2 hours adding some extra sensors to
the electric gates so that they do not close on on his car again:-)

This car

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...ars-pictures7/

Thanks for that.Â* I'd been wondering what sort of person could both want
and afford such a fire.

I only gave that car as an example.

The actual car (same make and model) has a darker non reflective black
finish than the one in the link.

Imagine Disaster Area's stunt ship and then make it a bit more black.

But that is what 23 year old premiership footballers drive (into their
electric gates).

BTW his Dad is the joiner. He was the one with the Henry on the video.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he
closed
at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately
the
weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

I got "lucky" when similar happens to me last year

I had heating but no hot water for 2 weeks

I have to bath in what I could boil in a kettle

tim

I'm glad I ignored all the advice about changing to a combi boiler. With a
storage system, an immersion heater comes almost free. ;-)

except for the space that it, and the header tank, take up

Living in a flat (in one that I have just moved to from the above), I
achieved a 5% increase in usable space that would have been impossible to
have archived otherwise, by replacing a cupboard full of plumbing "stuff"
with a combi on the wall of the kitchen.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gip3...ature=youtu.be

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/er.../ereflex-195r/

At £1,700 that is some fire!

Plus me and a joiner 6 hours to remove the old small gas fire (that had no
gas supply) and fit it.

Well 4 hours for me as I spend 2 hours adding some extra sensors to the
electric gates so that they do not close on on his car again:-)

This car

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...ars-pictures7/

Is it meant to look like it's already been in an accident?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/12/2019 12:07, tim... wrote:

I'm glad I ignored all the advice about changing to a combi boiler.
With a
storage system, an immersion heater comes almost free. ;-)

except for the space that it, and the header tank, take up

Living in a flat (in one that I have just moved to from the above), I
achieved a 5% increase in usable space that would have been impossible
to have archived otherwise, by replacing a cupboard full of plumbing
"stuff" with a combi on the wall of the kitchen.

You are of course both right. My son lives in Germany, and his
bathroom has a 21KW 'instant' electric water heater. It's quite compact
and it's powered by 3 phase electricity. That's entirely standard over
there, he tells me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2019 12:12, GB wrote:
On 22/12/2019 12:07, tim... wrote:

I'm glad I ignored all the advice about changing to a combi boiler.
With a
storage system, an immersion heater comes almost free. ;-)

except for the space that it, and the header tank, take up

Living in a flat (in one that I have just moved to from the above), I
achieved a 5% increase in usable space that would have been impossible
to have archived otherwise, by replacing a cupboard full of plumbing
"stuff" with a combi on the wall of the kitchen.

You are of course both right. My son lives in Germany, and his
bathroom has a 21KW 'instant' electric water heater. It's quite compact
and it's powered by 3 phase electricity. That's entirely standard over
there, he tells me.

How much does he pay for a KiloWatt/hour of electric, now that they have
shut down all their nuclear power stations ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

GB wrote:

My son lives in Germany, and his
bathroom has a 21KW 'instant' electric water heater.

How much does he pay for a KiloWatt/hour of electric, now that they have
shut down all their nuclear power stations ?

About 31¢ = 27p per kWh, They have overtaken Denmark as being most
expensive in the EU

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/3/34/Electricity_prices_for_household_consumers%2C_firs t_half_2019_%28EUR_per_kWh%29F1.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 December 2019 17:36:51 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:
GB wrote:

My son lives in Germany, and his
bathroom has a 21KW 'instant' electric water heater.

How much does he pay for a KiloWatt/hour of electric, now that they have
shut down all their nuclear power stations ?

About 31¢ = 27p per kWh, They have overtaken Denmark as being most
expensive in the EU

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/3/34/Electricity_prices_for_household_consumers%2C_firs t_half_2019_%28EUR_per_kWh%29F1.png

a source that thinks we pay 21p/kWh!

Boiler PCB spares? AJ UK diy 4 September 7th 09 09:20 PM
Please to convert these PCB files? - 20V_Layout.pcb (1/1) [11K] Usual Suspect Electronic Schematics 5 March 24th 07 10:47 PM
Please to convert these PCB files? - 5V_Layout.pcb (1/1) [15K] Usual Suspect Electronic Schematics 1 March 24th 07 06:34 PM
Broken PCB on combi boiler [email protected] UK diy 17 February 9th 07 09:31 PM
New Boiler = Room Stat = Part 'P' & Part 'L' question (long) . UK diy 52 January 6th 06 10:13 AM