Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken PCB on combi boiler

I have a fairly ancient looking Vocera Excell 80 SP combi boiler. I
just called in a local company to provide a routine service. The
company services the council buildings around here, so they are
reasonble reputable. As the guy was servicing it, apparently there was
a spark from the PCB to a pipe and the PCB (and consequently the
boiler) is now non-functional. The service engineer claims it is not
his fault and exits as quickly as he can, leaving me with a broken
boiler (in Glasgow, in mid February).

I have a few questions

- Do I have a right to go after the servicing company for this? I know
accidents can happen, but the fact remains that when he arrived I had
a working boiler, and when he left I did not.

- I called British Gas for a few quotes. Apparently it will cost £144
to fix the boiler and about £2500 to replace it. I know I can probably
get a better replacement quote. Is it worth replacing it?

Thanks,

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb 2007 06:09:02 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Is that all he said ?.. You saw the spark didn't you ?

Call his company and do not get off the 'phone until you have spoken
to someone in a senior position and be assertive without being rude ..

I also am in Glasgow and had a boiler fitted on Tuesday and it failed
yesterday and the fitters came this morning and sorted a factory
fault so I know what it's like having no CH .

Gas Line in Crow Road .I was impressed with them .

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I didn't see the spark, no. I feel more and more like a plonker for
letting the guy get out of my flat with a cheque in his hand.

Still chasing the company (GasCall services). Thanks for the
recommendation though.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I didn't see the spark, no. I feel more and more like a plonker for
letting the guy get out of my flat with a cheque in his hand.

Still chasing the company (GasCall services). Thanks for the
recommendation though.

Peter

Heh!
What was the cheque for? he came to service the boiler not knacker it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb 2007 06:42:08 -0800, "
wrote:

I didn't see the spark, no. I feel more and more like a plonker for
letting the guy get out of my flat with a cheque in his hand.

Still chasing the company (GasCall services). Thanks for the
recommendation though.

Peter

No.I meant YOU DID see the spark ..Ye get me .!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb 2007 06:09:02 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Peter ..Just re-read your post .Gas Line replaced my old Potterton
with an Alpha CD32C comdensing combi for £1980.
www.alpha-boilers.co.uk

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:21:48 +0000, Stuart B
wrote:

On 9 Feb 2007 06:09:02 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

with an Alpha CD32C condensing combi for £1980.
www.alpha-boilers.co.uk

Stuart

And that included a wireless thermostat in the hall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heh!
What was the cheque for? he came to service the boiler not knacker it.

Quite. I wrote the cheque when he'd finished the service. It was in
putting the thing back together that he knackered it. I obviously
should have got the cheque back, but I was too busy standing there
with my gob open.

That will be a lesson to me - don't write the cheque until they
insist...

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart B contains these words:

No.I meant YOU DID see the spark ..Ye get me .!!!

And if the fitter says you couldn't have done 'cos you weren't in the
room when it happened you've just got him to admit it happened.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com
, writes
[...]

This group appears to be falling over with Vokera Excell 80SPs at the mo.

Having a spark jump from the pcb to a pipe with that boiler would be a
bloody good trick as the pcb assembly is completely enclosed in a plastic
case. Also this is a constant pilot boiler so no spark generator and no HT
to jump long distances. I can understand being in shock after an incident
like that but basically the boiler was working when he arrived and was
broken when he left, I'd get onto the boss of the firm that serviced it and
have words.

The control panel on those just hinges down (after removing a couple of
screws) so it wouldn't do any harm to (REMOVE POWER then) lower that
and check for wires hanging off (or nicked) and liable to short to casing or
pipes.

There's a guy on here does reconditioned pcbs and spares for boilers so
that would be a good place to get a replacement but don't go that route
unless you feel competent to do the job. He's at
http://www.cetltd.com
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very helpful advice fred. Thanks for that.

I've got British Gas coming to repair the boiler on Monday. They
charge a fixed fee including parts, so replacing the PCB can only cost
me £144 - no more, no less. I've phone the servicing company four
times so far today but apparently the manager hasn't been back to his
desk to pick up the message. I'll tear some strips off him next week.

Luckily, my girlfriend is understanding and doesn't mind walking
around the flat wearing four jumpers and a woolly hat all weekend

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb 2007 10:05:31 -0800, "
wrote:

Very helpful advice fred. Thanks for that.

I've got British Gas coming to repair the boiler on Monday. They
charge a fixed fee including parts, so replacing the PCB can only cost
me £144 - no more, no less. I've phone the servicing company four
times so far today but apparently the manager hasn't been back to his
desk to pick up the message. I'll tear some strips off him next week.

Luckily, my girlfriend is understanding and doesn't mind walking
around the flat wearing four jumpers and a woolly hat all weekend

Peter

What about her bottom half .!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 18:32:17 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article .com,
writes
I didn't see the spark, no. I feel more and more like a plonker for
letting the guy get out of my flat with a cheque in his hand.

Call your bank and stop the bloody cheque!

That's what I'd ...ot at least get the bank to put a hold on it as the
transaction is now disputed . Unless a cheque card was used in which
case they won't stop it
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:59:40 -0800, wrote:

Heh!
What was the cheque for? he came to service the boiler not knacker it.

Quite. I wrote the cheque when he'd finished the service. It was in
putting the thing back together that he knackered it. I obviously
should have got the cheque back, but I was too busy standing there
with my gob open.

Mistakes can and do happen. I myself was caught out with a boiler on an
RCD last year when the RCD kept tripping. The moisture I introduced was
due to my spraying with leak detector looking for the gas leak (the reason
for my visit). My response (after whinging about this not having happened
to me before and how the boiler should not be on an RCD circuit) was to
replace the gas valve at my own expense (ouch!).

I expect that by the book no work should have been taking place on the
boiler with the power still on. Invariably the first instruction in the
manual is isolate the gas and electric supplies.

As I see it you have every right to get full recompense for this problem.
People in this business have to charge enough to cover for the occasional
small problem.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about her bottom half .!!!

A leg in each arm hole, and easy access through the neck...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Luckily, my girlfriend is understanding and doesn't mind walking
around the flat wearing four jumpers and a woolly hat all weekend

Peter

What about her bottom half .!!!

Use your imagination !

Dave

--
Foot Massage @ Home
Luxurious, indulgent massage in Worcestershire