Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Debit card Q

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a named
individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle
a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle
a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.

OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the
option of a different PIN for the extra card.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin expressed precisely :
OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the option of
a different PIN for the extra card.

...and it will carry the same card number.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :
When I did this for real they voided the old card and did a complete new on,
new number and all.

If you report it lost or stolen, they will do that, but if you report
it as still in your possession but faulty, they send an identicle one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :
When I did this for real they voided the old card and did a complete
new on, new number and all.

If you report it lost or stolen, they will do that, but if you report it
as still in your possession but faulty, they send an identicle one.

On further investigation it seems that a prepaid debit card fed from my
current a/c might be the way to go for what I want and offers more
protection too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message news
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :
When I did this for real they voided the old card and did a complete
new on, new number and all.

If you report it lost or stolen, they will do that, but if you report it
as still in your possession but faulty, they send an identicle one.

On further investigation it seems that a prepaid debit card fed from my
current a/c might be the way to go for what I want and offers more
protection too.

https://secure.pockit.com/register/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin expressed precisely :
OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the option of
a different PIN for the extra card.

..and it will carry the same card number.

I know the above relates to debit cards but anyway....
We (as in my wife and I) have joint accounts with HSBC and Nationwide.

Our HSBC credit cards are completely different, different number,
different PIN, etc.

Our Nationwide cards have the same number, 'security' number on the
back, etc. (The names on the front are different, as are our PINs).
It's handy sometimes as I can buy things like rail tickets with 'my'
credit card and my wife can use 'her' credit card in the ticket
machine to get the tickets.

So extra cards may or may not have the same details as the 'parent'
card, it seems to depend on provider.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle
a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.

They will just cancel the first when issuing the replacement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 10:10, Chris Green wrote:

So extra cards may or may not have the same details as the 'parent'
card, it seems to depend on provider.

It does. We have credit cards which are essentially identical and others
which are completely different.

Accounts with identical cards cancel both if one of them is lost or
stolen, but accounts which have different cards cancel just the one,
leaving the other one still working. This has worked to our advantage
when we've been travelling and one of our cards has been cloned and
cancelled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:26:15 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the
accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Not always easy when the account holder is female and I'm a man , or so
you'd think, but never once has my use of the cards been queried when
making purchases.

People never look at the name on the cards these days they just expect
the machines to tell them if there is a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 10:47, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:26:15 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the
accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without
being asked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:51:08 +0000, F wrote:

On 18/12/2017 10:47, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:26:15 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the
accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without
being asked.

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 09:26, Bob Minchin wrote:
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

Yes it's possible however....

If the person the account holder wants to have a card/account access is
set up with LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney) then they can have full
account access including statements to LPA address, checkbooks, on-line
banking and telephone banking and of course Debit card (in own name)
whilst normal account is still only held in single name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 10:53, Mark Allread wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the
accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without
being asked.

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one please?

Lloyds were happy to give me debit card, cheque book, statements,
telephone/internet banking etc. with LPoA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:10:10 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin expressed precisely :
OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the option of
a different PIN for the extra card.

..and it will carry the same card number.

It's handy sometimes as I can buy things like rail tickets with 'my'
credit card and my wife can use 'her' credit card in the ticket
machine to get the tickets.

That's not as clever as it seems. I don't know the purpose of the card
check on ticket machines but they certainly don't check the account
number. I regularly buy using a credit card and collect using a debit
card (accounts with different banks).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:35:43 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 18/12/2017 10:53, Mark Allread wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on
the accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without
being asked.

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one
please?

Lloyds were happy to give me debit card, cheque book, statements,
telephone/internet banking etc. with LPoA

Interesting - the LLoyds branch nearest to us created all sorts of
problems at the time (as did Santander) so I ended up closing both
accounts and moving the money elsewhere. Fortunately I had been given
password etc for the accounts in the account holder's name so I was able
to log on and do it all on-line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin expressed precisely :
OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the
option of
a different PIN for the extra card.

..and it will carry the same card number.

It's handy sometimes as I can buy things like rail tickets with 'my'
credit card and my wife can use 'her' credit card in the ticket
machine to get the tickets.

That's not as clever as it seems. I don't know the
purpose of the card check on ticket machines

They check that the name on the ticket matches the name on the card.

but they certainly don't check the account number.
I regularly buy using a credit card and collect using
a debit card (accounts with different banks).

Why ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 16:19, Mark Allread wrote:
[...]

Yorkshire and Santander. I forgot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 10:47, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:26:15 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the
accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Not always easy when the account holder is female and I'm a man , or so
you'd think, but never once has my use of the cards been queried when
making purchases.

People never look at the name on the cards these days they just expect
the machines to tell them if there is a problem.

I sometimes use my wife's card, grabbing it because it is to hand as I
am going out, while my own is somewhere upstairs. There is a downside
though. Although no-one has ever queried it for me, if someone wants to
cause trouble they can.

I remember a few years ago a man known to the police used his brother's
card (with his permission). Th epolice got involved for some reason and
they had obviously been looking for an excuse, because they arrested him
and charged him under the computer misuse act, arguing that by using the
card and its pin he was identifying himself as someone else to the
bank's computers. Whether it went any further I don't know.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle
a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.

Ouch, I don't like the sounds of 'fiddle'!

That aside, don't they cancel the 'original' card? I always assumed they
did.

The OP didn't mention which bank it was. If it is one which offers
'tiered' (my word) services depending on income/savings etc, you get the
basic card plus the 'enhanced' one if you qualify. The enhanced one
allows things like higher daily cash withdrawals, free services, etc. At
least one high st bank offers this free.

Of course, there is the question of the other person using the other
card. If the account terms say you can't 'loan out' the card, there is a
problem.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:25:05 +0000, F wrote:

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one
please?

Yorkshire.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:26:49 +0000, F wrote:

On 18/12/2017 16:19, Mark Allread wrote:

Interesting - the LLoyds branch nearest to us created all sorts of
problems at the time (as did Santander)

Yorkshire and Santander. I forgot.

Must be just our local branches of Lloyds and Santander then. I may
raise it again but higher up the chain than branch level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 16:19, Mark Allread wrote:

Lloyds were happy to give me debit card, cheque book, statements,
telephone/internet banking etc. with LPoA

Interesting - the LLoyds branch nearest to us created all sorts of
problems at the time (as did Santander) so I ended up closing both
accounts and moving the money elsewhere. Fortunately I had been given
password etc for the accounts in the account holder's name so I was able
to log on and do it all on-line.

Was a bit of a nightmare getting full clearance.
I tried to use on-line banking but the first essential transfer I tried
to do caused account lock-down.
Had to take original LPA documentation, photo ID, proof of address to
match LPA documents etc. took about 2 hours in the bank "interview room"
with the manager but haven't had any security issues since whereas
before Mum was always locking up her account which then needed someone
to take her to the bank with photo ID to get it working again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2017 16:19, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:35:43 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 18/12/2017 10:53, Mark Allread wrote:

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

Probably not although they will issue credit cards on that basis.

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on
the accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the
suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

That is wrong. The first thing they do for an LPoA is issue you with the
means for independent access - your own card and PIN and chequebook.

You can get some really stupid inconvenient contradictions though.
My mum had an "Internet Saver" account - and guess what? Using an LPoA
you can only ever do telephone transactions with it! So I closed it.

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without
being asked.

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one
please?

Lloyds were happy to give me debit card, cheque book, statements,
telephone/internet banking etc. with LPoA

Interesting - the LLoyds branch nearest to us created all sorts of
problems at the time (as did Santander) so I ended up closing both
accounts and moving the money elsewhere. Fortunately I had been given

Interesting. It must vary a lot with branch manager then. Most of the
branches I have ever had to deal with have been OK. Lloyds/Halifax and
RBS/Natwest being notable exceptions. I have extracted compensation from
both for their mistakes, mishandling of accounts and prevarication.

Had no bother at all with Santander, Nationwide or Skipton BS. Post
Office was OK apart from the tedious queueing and NS&I spotted that my
solicitors had used the wrong stamp (practice stamp) rather than named
solicitor stamp on the certified LPoA copy. Never found out if they were
right to decline to accept the solicitor certified copies as correct.

password etc for the accounts in the account holder's name so I was able
to log on and do it all on-line.

You shouldn't admit to doing that. Breaches banks T&Cs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:
On 18/12/2017 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a
named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle
a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.

They will just cancel the first when issuing the replacement.

IME, the original one continues working until the first time you
use the new one. If you haven't used the new one within a few days
of them dispatching it, you get an SMS asking you to let them know
if you haven't received it. (This is a different bank, and probably
they all vary slightly.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 13:57:37 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 18/12/2017 16:19, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:35:43 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

By way of a response to both of you I think we have all probably reached
the same conclusions - that financial institutions generally (with
exceptions) do not fully understand the various Powers of Attorney and
consequently fail to train their staff properly.

Generally the use of a PoA comes at a time of stress for the Attorney and
a more sympathetic and understanding approach needs to be taken.

Santander were particularly bad at the time and said they could not act
on any instructions until the person for whom I was Attorney came into
branch and countersigned in front of them.

I gently (cough) pointed out that if they could do that I wouldn't be the
Attorney.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2017 16:50, Mark Allread wrote:

Santander were particularly bad at the time and said they could not act
on any instructions until the person for whom I was Attorney came into
branch and countersigned in front of them.

Understandable though as the signature is ultimate authority and needs
to be witnessed by the bank as it's them who were entrusted with account
holders financial security.

Until you have to go through the daily challenges you don't appreciate
how essential is is to have everything in place before it's actually needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2017 18:21, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 19/12/2017 16:50, Mark Allread wrote:

Santander were particularly bad at the time and said they could not act
on any instructions until the person for whom I was Attorney came into
branch and countersigned in front of them.

Understandable though as the signature is ultimate authority and needs
to be witnessed by the bank as it's them who were entrusted with account
holders financial security.

Until you have to go through the daily challenges you don't appreciate
how essential is is to have everything in place before it's actually needed.

If you have a registered PoA that's all anyone needs. It's that which
provides authority. There's no need for the 'donor' to be present at
all: there's no way anyone with advanced dementia is going to sign anything.

Santander accepted the PoA by itself when I had to use one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay explained :
I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle a
second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.

Ouch, I don't like the sounds of 'fiddle'!

That aside, don't they cancel the 'original' card? I always assumed they did.

I had a new Mastercard, wanted a second identical one to keep secreted
away in the car for emergencies like leaving my wallet at home, so I
told Mastercard my original card was faulty. They sent a second
identical one and both cards continued to operate for the remainder of
their active lives.