Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a WC pan

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern. The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe. I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe. Is that right, and if so, what is it called? Searches
involving pipe and balloon just bring up plastic things to stop leaves
going into waste pipes from gutters. Perhaps I just need a 'soil pipe
socket plug'? Or what looks like a ribbed rubber plug?

Thanks!

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/10/2017 18:55, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern.Â* The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.Â* Is that right, and if so, what is it called?Â* Searches
involving pipe and balloon just bring up plastic things to stop leaves
going into waste pipes from gutters.Â* Perhaps I just need a 'soil pipe
socket plug'?Â* Or what looks like a ribbed rubber plug?

Thanks!

One of these probably.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...lug-grey/18082

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26-Oct-17 6:55 PM, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern.Â* The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.Â* Is that right, and if so, what is it called?Â* Searches
involving pipe and balloon just bring up plastic things to stop leaves
going into waste pipes from gutters.Â* Perhaps I just need a 'soil pipe
socket plug'?Â* Or what looks like a ribbed rubber plug?

Thanks!

Crumpled newspaper and concrete works well.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/10/2017 19:53, Nightjar wrote:
On 26-Oct-17 6:55 PM, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern.Â* The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.Â* Is that right, and if so, what is it called?
Searches involving pipe and balloon just bring up plastic things to
stop leaves going into waste pipes from gutters.Â* Perhaps I just need
a 'soil pipe socket plug'?Â* Or what looks like a ribbed rubber plug?

Thanks!

Crumpled newspaper and concrete works well.

I thought of that, but the OP might want to use the pipe in future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 18:55, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern.Â* The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.

Not required assuming you don't live in a block of flats with everyone
above you sharing the same down-pipe. Even then if you need to block off
the opening just tie a plastic carrier bag around it.

Get a small container and bale out the water in the bottom of a pan.
Place an old towel/rag under the waste pipe to catch the very small
amount of water that may be left in the trap.

You may find that some brown stuff is left in the crevasses/seals where
the pipes meet the pan or down-pipe so maybe have bucket handy to
transport the connecting pipe to the garden when it can be hosed down
and/or soaked in bleach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 20:17, alan_m wrote:

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.

Not required assuming you don't live in a block of flats with everyone
above you sharing the same down-pipe. Even then if you need to block off
the opening just tie a plastic carrier bag around it.

Sorry, I read that as you were going to re-install the same pan and
fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 19:45, GB wrote:
On 26/10/2017 18:55, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern. The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe. I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe. Is that right, and if so, what is it called?
Searches involving pipe and balloon just bring up plastic things to
stop leaves going into waste pipes from gutters. Perhaps I just need
a 'soil pipe socket plug'? Or what looks like a ribbed rubber plug?

Thanks!

One of these probably.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...lug-grey/18082

That will probably do - as long as you're left with a plastic push-fit
socket when you remove the pan connector.

But if you have a glazed pipe disappearing into the floor - or just a
110mm plastic pipe with no socket on the end, you'll need something
different.

What *have* you got? A photo[1] would be good.

[1] Uploaded to some webspace somewhere (Dropbox, etc.) with a link here.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes

But if you have a glazed pipe disappearing into the floor - or just a
110mm plastic pipe with no socket on the end, you'll need something
different.

What *have* you got? A photo[1] would be good.

OK, thanks for all the comments. TBH, I don't know what I have got yet.
I have removed 4 screws from the pan, which is now just sitting on the
floor. Water still in the bowl, to seal for time being. Will bale out
tomorrow, remove pan and take a photo or two.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:
On 26/10/2017 18:55, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern.Â* The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.

Not required assuming you don't live in a block of flats with everyone
above you sharing the same down-pipe. Even then if you need to block off
the opening just tie a plastic carrier bag around it.

Get a small container and bale out the water in the bottom of a pan.

Just use the loo brush to get the water oscilating back and forth
in the U bend, and you can almost completely empty it that way.

Place an old towel/rag under the waste pipe to catch the very small
amount of water that may be left in the trap.

You may find that some brown stuff is left in the crevasses/seals where
the pipes meet the pan or down-pipe so maybe have bucket handy to
transport the connecting pipe to the garden when it can be hosed down
and/or soaked in bleach.

If you have a ribbed rubber seal that maybe isn't sealing quite as
well as it did when new, as you pull it out, each ridge flicks ****
in your face as it pops out of the pipe...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes

If you have a ribbed rubber seal that maybe isn't sealing quite as
well as it did when new, as you pull it out, each ridge flicks ****
in your face as it pops out of the pipe...

Thank you Andrew, I will look forward to that :-)

Here are three photos :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/wc/index.html

It looks to me as though the white part is an offset rubber (?)
connector, which is probably (?) just plugged into the grey waste pipe.

Next job (!) is to just pull that white connector off the grey pipe?
That should, by the looks of it, leave the top of the grey waste pipe
just below floor level, which is handy. Then just pop in a stopper?
Something like eBay 251278942890

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110mm-4-So...ng-Cap-Stop-En
d/251278942890?epid=1932237304&hash=item3a816462aa:g :k9sAAOSwB-1Y7kTL

Just push in, perhaps with a little washing up liquid to lubricate?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 09:37, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:

Get a small container and bale out the water in the bottom of a pan.

Just use the loo brush to get the water oscilating back and forth
in the U bend, and you can almost completely empty it that way.

That's what I do. I then finish off with with a meat baster (used *only*
for this purpose, and not in the kitchen!) to suck the last few drops
out and dump them into a jam jar.

Doubtless TMH would recommend a wet and dry vac - but we haven't seen
him recently.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes

If you have a ribbed rubber seal that maybe isn't sealing quite as
well as it did when new, as you pull it out, each ridge flicks ****
in your face as it pops out of the pipe...

Luckily, this particular WC has not been used for several years, and the
pipe was clean. the connector popped out fairly easily and a new ribbed
rubber stopper went in with a little help from my foot. The floor is
tiled (vinyl), and by trimming the tiles, the stopper is flush with the
floor. Job done!

Next job is removal of the adjacent basin, but that is far more scary,
with two 'live' water pipes and no convenient stop cocks.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2017 10:44, Graeme wrote:
Next job is removal of the adjacent basin, but that is far more scary,
with two 'live' water pipes and no convenient stop cocks.

Freezer kit?

The usual is to turn off the cold main, put a carrot in the loft tank
where the water comes out, then pray.

I was changing a tap washer once when one of my kids flushed a toilet.
This let air into the pipes. Instant fountain!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* writes:

Get a small container and bale out the water in the bottom of a pan.

Just use the loo brush to get the water oscilating back and forth
in the U bend, and you can almost completely empty it that way.

That's what I do. I then finish off with with a meat baster (used *only*
for this purpose, and not in the kitchen!) to suck the last few drops
out and dump them into a jam jar.

Doubtless TMH would recommend a wet and dry vac - but we haven't seen
him recently.

Not just TMH, the wet and dry is the *essential* tool to have to hand
for this job. Can also use it to empty the cistern completely.

Don't do what I did the other day, though. I had to whip the pan out in
order to open the saniflo to retrieve the cloth my other half flushed
into it. I thought, don't need to drain the cistern. However, while
drying up drips with the wet and dry I put enough "suck" on the siphon
pipe to trip the siphon. I was able to get my hand over the pipe before
more than about a pint had come out, but was very relieved to have a
large "trug" to hand to drain the rest of the cistern into in a
relatively well controlled manner. The delivery from a cistern not
attached to the pan is really quite impressive.

And of course it is easy to dry the floor with a wet and dry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:44:45 +0000
Graeme wrote:

Next job is removal of the adjacent basin, but that is far more
scary, with two 'live' water pipes and no convenient stop cocks.

Should have left that handy drain in the floor open. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2017 21:46, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/11/2017 10:44, Graeme wrote:
Next job is removal of the adjacent basin, but that is far more scary,
with two 'live' water pipes and no convenient stop cocks.

Freezer kit?

The usual is to turn off the cold main, put a carrot in the loft tank
where the water comes out, then pray.

I was changing a tap washer once when one of my kids flushed a toilet.
This let air into the pipes. Instant fountain!

Andy

We are direct off the mains now. It makes this sort of job very quick
and easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2017 09:23, GB wrote:

We are direct off the mains now. It makes this sort of job very quick
and easy.

Having lived with that for 30+ years, I respectfully agree. Though the
downside risk of the water going off without notice for 24 hours is not
to be sniffed at - especially if like us you don't have water butts,
pond etc

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 09:33:41 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 07/11/2017 09:23, GB wrote:

We are direct off the mains now. It makes this sort of job very quick
and easy.

Having lived with that for 30+ years, I respectfully agree. Though the
downside risk of the water going off without notice for 24 hours is not
to be sniffed at - especially if like us you don't have water butts,
pond etc

Though in normal circumstances I think bottled water can be a bit of
an affectation that it is easily available and often supplied by the
water supplier anyway in such circumstances means it is less of a
problem than it once was.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 20171107084817.05da5357@Mars, Rob Morley
writes
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:44:45 +0000
Graeme wrote:

Next job is removal of the adjacent basin, but that is far more
scary, with two 'live' water pipes and no convenient stop cocks.

Should have left that handy drain in the floor open. :-)

grin Yes! Having said that, this is a ground floor WC in our ex
shop, and there are two, side by side, Ladies and Gents. I am removing
the Ladies, which has not been used for several years. The cold feed to
the basin will be straightforward, as the tap is direct from the mains.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 10:48:24 +0000, Robin wrote:

Having lived with that for 30+ years, I respectfully agree. Though the
downside risk of the water going off without notice for 24 hours is not
to be sniffed at - especially if like us you don't have water butts,
pond etc

Though in normal circumstances I think bottled water can be a bit of
an affectation that it is easily available and often supplied by the
water supplier anyway in such circumstances means it is less of a
problem than it once was.

Thames Water don't supply enough bottled water in an emergency to flush
the loo. I don't know about other suppliers.

Which is why I said less of a problem rather than the whole answer.
If people have room maybe they should keep a jerry can of water in a
shed to flush the loo with but for most it will be such a rare event
as to not worry about, though you do hear of roads where the
infrastructure has got old that interruptions get frequent until the
main finally gets replaced rather than repaired.
We have 2000 litres + of rainwater storage plus a pond so the problem
is unlikely to arise but when my sister lost supply from a Severn
Trent main there was no problem going back to the distribution point
and picking up multiple bottles, in fact when the supply was restored
they were encouraging people to take away bundles of 2l bottles still
shrink wrapped together. Don't know if that was official policy or
employees who just didn't want to hump them back on and off a van.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2017 09:23, GB wrote:

We are direct off the mains now. It makes this sort of job very quick
and easy.

Having lived with that for 30+ years, I respectfully agree. Though the
downside risk of the water going off without notice for 24 hours is not
to be sniffed at - especially if like us you don't have water butts,
pond etc

Though in normal circumstances I think bottled water can be a bit of
an affectation that it is easily available and often supplied by the
water supplier anyway in such circumstances means it is less of a
problem than it once was.

Flushing the toilet with bottled water?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 13:13:43 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

On 07/11/2017 09:23, GB wrote:

We are direct off the mains now. It makes this sort of job very quick
and easy.

Having lived with that for 30+ years, I respectfully agree. Though the
downside risk of the water going off without notice for 24 hours is not
to be sniffed at - especially if like us you don't have water butts,
pond etc

Though in normal circumstances I think bottled water can be a bit of
an affectation that it is easily available and often supplied by the
water supplier anyway in such circumstances means it is less of a
problem than it once was.

Flushing the toilet with bottled water?

Why not in the circumstances described?
Sudden loss of water without notice for 24 hours where the householder
has no other sources to speak of on the premises.
If you notice in time you may be able to delay flushing what is in the
cistern till absolutely necessary. If it has been flushed before the
loss of water was noticed you are going to need a flexible personal
timetable when to go or a very full pan especially in a family
household irrespective of whether you attempt to flush it with some
bottled water or not. Four 2litre bottles poured into the cistern may
make it possible to get through the period . Some people may decide
the £1.50 of cheap water from lidl or similar good value to get
through the day and easier to carry than a bucket from a distant
source especilaaly for flat dwellers who have to reach higher floors.
Bottles don't spill.
To be honest though by comment was more to do without finding you had
no water to clean teeth, make a cuppa ,cook with. ( and the sensible
would save that into a bowl and flush the toilet with it.)
With even the most basic shop like newsagents stocking bottled water
it wil be easy for many to source some quickly, if the water company
piles up a pallet load for free in the street nearby even better.

It would of course require a little effort and thought so a lot of
people now would rather just suffer and moan on twitter.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 10:48:24 +0000, Robin wrote:

Though the
downside risk of the water going off without notice for 24 hours is not
to be sniffed at - especially if like us you don't have water butts,
pond etc

Though in normal circumstances I think bottled water can be a bit of
an affectation that it is easily available and often supplied by the
water supplier anyway in such circumstances means it is less of a
problem than it once was.

Thames Water don't supply enough bottled water in an emergency to flush
the loo.

Rather on cue I see from this evenings regional news that the area
around Woodley had just such an interruption from early this morning
to this evening.

Thames Water did not appear to be too stingy in handing out bottled
water from the artics that brought pallet loads in to the distribution
sites with people loading up multiple packs of 6x2L bottles and
although those with cars are at an advantage in such circumstances
there was at least one baby buggy being used to carry two packs.
There appeared to be no attempt at rationing and numerous tweets on
their twitter feed were encouraging people to come and get water.
A good DIY person should be capable of removing the cistern lid and
pouring 3 or 4 bottles in when a flush becomes necessary.

G.Harman

Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan? Doc Home Repair 113 April 28th 08 06:23 AM
Close coupled WC with S-type pan? John Stumbles UK diy 1 April 24th 04 11:44 AM
uk.d-i-y down the pan Suz UK diy 10 February 8th 04 10:52 PM
Seeking syphonic toilet pan John Chapman UK diy 5 August 14th 03 06:59 PM
Pan connectors - damn you B&Q! Nearly Done! UK diy 11 July 26th 03 01:22 PM