Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a WC pan

In article ,
alan_m writes:
On 26/10/2017 18:55, Graeme wrote:

Spent time today removing a WC pan, or rather the cistern.Â* The pan
itself is sitting on the floor, loose, waiting to be removed, but I'm
not sure what else I need.

The pan is not being replaced, so I need to block off the exit/waste
pipe.Â* I thought I needed some sort of inflatable balloon that goes in
the waste pipe.

Not required assuming you don't live in a block of flats with everyone
above you sharing the same down-pipe. Even then if you need to block off
the opening just tie a plastic carrier bag around it.

Get a small container and bale out the water in the bottom of a pan.

Just use the loo brush to get the water oscilating back and forth
in the U bend, and you can almost completely empty it that way.

Place an old towel/rag under the waste pipe to catch the very small
amount of water that may be left in the trap.

You may find that some brown stuff is left in the crevasses/seals where
the pipes meet the pan or down-pipe so maybe have bucket handy to
transport the connecting pipe to the garden when it can be hosed down
and/or soaked in bleach.

If you have a ribbed rubber seal that maybe isn't sealing quite as
well as it did when new, as you pull it out, each ridge flicks ****
in your face as it pops out of the pipe...

--
Andrew Gabriel