Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter maids.

Changed to a new dual fuel deal a couple of months ago.

Got an email from them asking for meter readings by 9/12. Made a note to
read them just before this date. My theory being the actual usage over the
longest period is going to make any calculation to arrive at a monthly
payment more accurate.

On Wednesday, a meter reader arrived. To read just the gas meter.
This morning, one to read them both.
Monday, I suppose, one to read just the leccy one.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got a second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I think they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes:
Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got a second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I think they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember if
this annually or every 2 years).

In any event, they've never got close to this frequency in my case - the
indoor one has been inspected less then once every 10 years (and that's
including one meter change).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 November 2016 11:31:48 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got a second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I think they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

Richard

I get a similar thing from Npower ask me for meter reading via a 3rd party company I think, then they want to come round to check.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 12:42, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:50:00 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Changed to a new dual fuel deal a couple of months ago.

Got an email from them asking for meter readings by 9/12. Made a note to
read them just before this date. My theory being the actual usage over
the longest period is going to make any calculation to arrive at a
monthly payment more accurate.

On Wednesday, a meter reader arrived. To read just the gas meter.
This morning, one to read them both.
Monday, I suppose, one to read just the leccy one.

Every supplier we've had (I noted with interest having just switched to
E.on that we had them as a supplier 8 years ago - I'd forgotten) has been
with an online-only account where you are prompted to enter your own
meter readings.

Without fail, every submission has inevitably been followed by a meter
readers. The most recent missed us, and left a card for us to write the
reading on so he could collect it next day if we were out. This was 48
hours after submitting a reading via the website.

I can only conclude it's some sort of forgotten 1970s invented-job
scheme. It would be funny if we weren't paying for it.

it is not universal, I moved to online readings, I still get a meter
reader turn up once per year.
Apparently there is a legal requirement for an actual visit/inspection
once every two years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes:
Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got
a second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I
think they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember if
this annually or every 2 years).

None of the meter readers I've ever seen take a close look at the
installation. Just read the meter as quickly as possible.

In any event, they've never got close to this frequency in my case - the
indoor one has been inspected less then once every 10 years (and that's
including one meter change).

I can't be sure, but seems to have been at least once a year here -
despite me entering the readings online when asked for them.

--
*My wife and I had words. But I didn't get to use mine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 11:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes:
Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got a second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I think they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember if
this annually or every 2 years).

OFGEM dropped that requirement w.e.f. 1/4/16.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 13:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Apparently there is a legal requirement for an actual visit/inspection
once every two years.

There was but there isn't now.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 16:01, Robin wrote:
On 25/11/2016 13:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Apparently there is a legal requirement for an actual visit/inspection
once every two years.

There was but there isn't now.

I find it was dropped in February this year, so not surprising people
still think it exists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 November 2016 11:54:47 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes:
Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got a second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I think they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember if
this annually or every 2 years).

In any event, they've never got close to this frequency in my case - the
indoor one has been inspected less then once every 10 years (and that's
including one meter change).

It's never been read here. Not once. The estimates are pretty good though.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Changed to a new dual fuel deal a couple of months ago.

Got an email from them asking for meter readings by 9/12. Made a note to
read them just before this date. My theory being the actual usage over the
longest period is going to make any calculation to arrive at a monthly
payment more accurate.

On Wednesday, a meter reader arrived. To read just the gas meter.
This morning, one to read them both.
Monday, I suppose, one to read just the leccy one.

I quite often see the same G4S guy with different hats on reading the
meter for my own property, neighbours or the village hall. He used to
work for nPower (but with different hats on when reading eON, SSE etc)
but his job was "outsourced" to a cheaper outfit.

It seems they all subcontract reading out but by supplier rather than
geographical zone so that he wastes a lot of time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, a meter reader arrived. To read just the gas meter.
This morning, one to read them both.
Monday, I suppose, one to read just the leccy one.

No, it'll be gas again. Ask Flanders & Swann.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 16:48, MrCheerful wrote:
On 25/11/2016 16:01, Robin wrote:
On 25/11/2016 13:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Apparently there is a legal requirement for an actual visit/inspection
once every two years.

There was but there isn't now.

I find it was dropped in February this year, so not surprising people
still think it exists.

I meant only to inform, not to criticise.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2016 07:17, Robin wrote:
On 25/11/2016 16:48, MrCheerful wrote:
On 25/11/2016 16:01, Robin wrote:
On 25/11/2016 13:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Apparently there is a legal requirement for an actual visit/inspection
once every two years.

There was but there isn't now.

I find it was dropped in February this year, so not surprising people
still think it exists.

I meant only to inform, not to criticise.

Oh, no, I wasn't being uppity, just pointing out to anyone reading the
thread that, like me, thought two years was still correct, that there
was a recent change.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend reported a clever bodge going on not far from me. At some point
some bright person had obviously removed the cover from a street light put
in a cable and ran it under the footway into a nearby empty house,which was
actually not empty.

Kind of makes you wonder why they were not seen doing this and reported
then.

People are so unobservant these days. We blind call them the sighted blind.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Tricky Dicky writes:
Same happened to me phoned through the readings then a week later got a
second request finally someone came round to read the meters. I think
they did not believe me, not Scottish Power by any chance?

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember if
this annually or every 2 years).

OFGEM dropped that requirement w.e.f. 1/4/16.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:23:40 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

At some point some bright person had obviously removed the cover from a
street light put in a cable and ran it under the footway into a nearby
empty house,which was actually not empty.

Kind of makes you wonder why they were not seen doing this and reported
then.

They probably were but a don a grubby hi-viz jacket, work boots and
hard hat and it's just "maintenance work".

People are so unobservant these days.

No just SEP.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:59:50 +0000, Robin wrote:

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government

requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember

if
this annually or every 2 years).

OFGEM dropped that requirement w.e.f. 1/4/16.

Are mechancical meters still under a statatory requirement to be
replaced every 10 years and electonic ones every 20?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2016 10:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:59:50 +0000, Robin wrote:

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government

requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember

if
this annually or every 2 years).

OFGEM dropped that requirement w.e.f. 1/4/16.

Are mechancical meters still under a statatory requirement to be
replaced every 10 years and electonic ones every 20?

IIRC there hasn't been a statutory requirement to *replace* for a long
time (if ever). What there was (and possibly still is) is a 10 year
limit on the certification of a new design of a meter. But if
monitoring of that design in use shows it is reliable and remains
accurate then its certification can be extended. Some have I think been
extended to 40 years.

I thought there ought to be something on it on gov.uk and there is at
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electricity-meter-certification At first
glance it's not inconsistent with what I recalled above - but sadly my
memory is out of certification so you'd better believe the government
rather than me

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2016 10:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:59:50 +0000, Robin wrote:

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government

requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember

if
this annually or every 2 years).

OFGEM dropped that requirement w.e.f. 1/4/16.

Are mechancical meters still under a statatory requirement to be
replaced every 10 years and electonic ones every 20?

My meter was renewed at 20 years old, no prior warning, they just turned
up one day.
My old meter was under-reading, so it was a blow to have it replaced
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter readings
by the 9th of next month.

It's obviously one of these incredibly difficult tasks which need plenty
warnings so you can prepare properly for it. Buy the correct tools and
protective clothing. Attend night classes to learn how.

I can understand companies trying to persuade you to pay a bill early,
much as it annoys. But surely a meter reading should be as up to date as
possible?

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:33:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter readings
by the 9th of next month.

Energy prices are going up - possibly they want as early a reading as possible to get all your Christmas consumption charged at a new higher rate?

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:59:50 +0000, Robin wrote:

As part of an initiative to prevent theft of power, government

requires
meters to be physically inspected by the companies (can't remember

if
this annually or every 2 years).

OFGEM dropped that requirement w.e.f. 1/4/16.

Are mechancical meters still under a statatory requirement to be
replaced every 10 years and electonic ones every 20?

Never was the case for mechanical meters. I worked on a meter
reading project for GEC around 1990, which read the existing
mechanical meters. Their design life was 40 years, and they
often got refurbed/recalibrated and used for even longer.

Something that delayed the introduction of electronic meters
was that the industry was insisting on the same 40 year design
life, and that simply wasn't possible for an electronic meter
(there was no electronic display technolgy at the time which
could get anywhere near 40 year lifetime).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:33:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter
readings by the 9th of next month.

Energy prices are going up - possibly they want as early a reading as
possible to get all your Christmas consumption charged at a new higher
rate?

If I've read the paperwork correctly (Flipper set up this deal for me) I'm
on a fixed rate for a year. And not even 3 months into it.

Obviously, I want the monthly payment calculated as accurately as
possible, and expect that to be trimmed when they get the second readings
after changing to them - the first being at changeover time.

Being retired, my gas consumption isn't influenced by public holidays, etc.
It may even be lower at Xmas since I've got a housefull. ;-)

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:33:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter
readings by the 9th of next month.

Energy prices are going up - possibly they want as early a reading as
possible to get all your Christmas consumption charged at a new higher
rate?

If I've read the paperwork correctly (Flipper set up this deal for me) I'm
on a fixed rate for a year. And not even 3 months into it.

Obviously, I want the monthly payment calculated as accurately as
possible, and expect that to be trimmed when they get the second readings
after changing to them - the first being at changeover time.

Being retired, my gas consumption isn't influenced by public holidays, etc.
It may even be lower at Xmas since I've got a housefull. ;-)

Flipper is 25 quid a year! I am surprised that anyone pays when others
pay you for using them. The very best deals can only be found by doing
your own research.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:

Flipper is 25 quid a year! I am surprised that anyone pays when others
pay you for using them. The very best deals can only be found by doing
your own research.

This is the top recommendation story from their website, seems they rely
on those too lazy to look and switch ...

"In a bid to bring down sky-high bills while expending minimal
effort he joined Flipper after hearing about it on the radio.
Since joining three months ago he has been ‘flipped’ from
London Electricity and British Gas to a dual- fuel deal with
Eon. This has chopped his bill in half, cutting £400 a month
from a typical monthly bill of nearly £800."

His house may have 2x the bedrooms of mine, but his original bill was
16x mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:33:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter
readings by the 9th of next month.

Energy prices are going up - possibly they want as early a reading as
possible to get all your Christmas consumption charged at a new higher
rate?

If I've read the paperwork correctly (Flipper set up this deal for me)
I'm on a fixed rate for a year. And not even 3 months into it.

Obviously, I want the monthly payment calculated as accurately as
possible, and expect that to be trimmed when they get the second
readings after changing to them - the first being at changeover time.

Being retired, my gas consumption isn't influenced by public holidays,
etc. It may even be lower at Xmas since I've got a housefull. ;-)

Flipper is 25 quid a year!

But only if they save you at least 50 quid a year. So would do no harm to
check.

They also check you're on the best deal 4 times a year once you've joined
them.

I am surprised that anyone pays when others
pay you for using them. The very best deals can only be found by doing
your own research.

Really? Maybe if you can research as well as a pro. Not everyone can - or
can be bothered. If you use the comparison sites, they get a hidden
commission if you change.
Flipper can negotiate a better deal for you by not taking that commission.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:

Flipper is 25 quid a year! I am surprised that anyone pays when others
pay you for using them. The very best deals can only be found by doing
your own research.

This is the top recommendation story from their website, seems they rely
on those too lazy to look and switch ...

"In a bid to bring down sky-high bills while expending minimal
effort he joined Flipper after hearing about it on the radio.
Since joining three months ago he has been ‘flipped’ from
London Electricity and British Gas to a dual- fuel deal with
Eon. This has chopped his bill in half, cutting £400 a month
from a typical monthly bill of nearly £800."

His house may have 2x the bedrooms of mine, but his original bill was
16x mine.

If you are confident you've found the best possible deal yourself, would
be interesting to see what Flipper said. They won't charge a penny if they
can't save you at least 50 quid a year.
But I do realise some may be wary about giving them their details.

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I found that all the sites use confusing tactics to calculate your bill
for the next year. The only way to compare different tariffs is to put
in figures that actually apply to your usage. I use 12000kwh gas, and
12000kwh electric as calculation figures, plus the standing charges, add
it up and take off any DD charge rebates to get comparable figures from
the most likely contenders. At present the best deal for me is the BG
collective fix till feb 2017 and the transfer site gave me thirty quid
as well.
For comparison: my charges: Electric:8.54p/kwh
Gas:2.85p/kwh
St.ch.£138/year for both
£30 DD discount

There are some slightly cheaper gas deals around, but then the electric
is vastly more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

There is no way I would give my credit card details to a site like that,
and especially not to someone called Talal Fathallah in any circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you are confident you've found the best possible deal yourself, would
be interesting to see what Flipper said. They won't charge a penny if they
can't save you at least 50 quid a year.

I'm on a fixed eon tariff until March that is no longer available, the
cheapest alternative I can see out there at the moment is £43/year more
than I'm paying. Unfortunately eon haven't played the customer-grabbing
game for a while, so sticking with them would likely cost about
£200/year extra, for that much I'd reluctantly lose the smart meter
functionality.

But I do realise some may be wary about giving them their details.

Presumably against the EnergyCo's Ts&Cs anyway, but no I wouldn't like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flipper is 25 quid a year!

But only if they save you at least 50 quid a year. So would do no harm to
check.

They also check you're on the best deal 4 times a year once you've joined
them.

MSE check more frequently than that and you get cash back if you switch
on most tariffs.
They also tell you about cheaper tariffs that they can't switch you on
and hence get nothing.
And they negotiate big switches where they persuade a supplier to offer
a good deal when you switch, although they failed to get any good fixed
term deals last month as a result of falling pounds and rising costs.

Sainsburys was cheapest last time even though its really BG.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

MrCheerful wrote:

Flipper is 25 quid a year!

But only if they save you at least 50 quid a year.

For second year and onwards, what do they base the savings against?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
There is no way I would give my credit card details to a site like that,
and especially not to someone called Talal Fathallah in any
circumstances.

I didn't give them credit card details.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

MrCheerful wrote:

Flipper is 25 quid a year!

But only if they save you at least 50 quid a year.

For second year and onwards, what do they base the savings against?

Up to you if you continue with them. Of course if you don't - and don't
take over what they do for you youself, I've no doubt the deal you're on
will cease to be the best value.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
There is no way I would give my credit card details to a site like that,
and especially not to someone called Talal Fathallah in any
circumstances.

I didn't give them credit card details.

That is now a requirement to register on the site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
There is no way I would give my credit card details to a site like
that, and especially not to someone called Talal Fathallah in any
circumstances.

I didn't give them credit card details.

That is now a requirement to register on the site.

Ok. However if you're worried about giving them your credit card details,
they're definitely not for you. They can only do what they offer to do for
you if you trust them. You have to give them your login details for your
existing suppliers. And your bank details so they can set up your monthly
standing order.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , MrCheerful
writes
In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Same process here - and I ended up with BGAS via Sainsburys. Gas
cheaper. elec more expensive which suits my usage.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ok. However if you're worried about giving them your credit card details,
they're definitely not for you.

Not so bothered about that...
They can only do what they offer to do for
you if you trust them. You have to give them your login details for your
existing suppliers.

Maybe...

And your bank details so they can set up your monthly
standing order.

Eh? You have to give them login rights for your bank account?

No Bloody Way.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
Ok. However if you're worried about giving them your credit card details,
they're definitely not for you.

Not so bothered about that...
They can only do what they offer to do for
you if you trust them. You have to give them your login details for your
existing suppliers.

Maybe...

And your bank details so they can set up your monthly
standing order.

Eh? You have to give them login rights for your bank account?

No. Just bank and account number. That's all they need to set up a direct
debit. Same as any company.

Andy

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm on a fixed eon tariff until March that is no longer available, the
cheapest alternative I can see out there at the moment is £43/year more
than I'm paying.

Just checked again with energylinx (rather than moneysavingclub) and the
cheapest fixed dual fuel tariff available now is £66/year more than my
fix due to expire end of March.

I can find a fixed gas tariff £26/year cheaper and a variable
electricity tariff only £34/year more expensive, but no fixed
electricity tariff better than £60/year more expensive.

So if retail gas prices are down, presumably wholesale prices are too?
Given how much of our electricity comes from gas what, other than
renewables, is pushing electricity prices up?