Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pictures of my gas meter, can it generate meter pulses?

Bit of a follow on from my previous post asking about tech info on my
gas meter. Here a a couple of pictures.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/38...0967817676.jpg

and

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/3...10c2253c92.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

What's that yellow cap on top of the dial readout for? maybe it is
hiding a set of contacts for meter pulses, that's what I really want!

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:30:14 +0000, Rob Horton
wrote:

Bit of a follow on from my previous post asking about tech info on my
gas meter. Here a a couple of pictures.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/38...0967817676.jpg

and

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/3...10c2253c92.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

What's that yellow cap on top of the dial readout for? maybe it is
hiding a set of contacts for meter pulses, that's what I really want!

Thanks.

It's purely mechanical and no pulses are available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Horton" wrote in message
Bit of a follow on from my previous post asking about tech info on

my
gas meter. Here a a couple of pictures.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/38...0967817676.jpg

and

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/3...10c2253c92.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

What's that yellow cap on top of the dial readout for? maybe it is
hiding a set of contacts for meter pulses, that's what I really

want!

Thanks.

If you look on the underneath surface of the clear plastic box, there
will be a socket (possibly capped) if it can give pulses. IIRC they
don't give a contact closure as such, it's an 'open collector'
transistor switch.

Look here for cables:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frame...oducts/030.asp

awem

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

What's that yellow cap on top of the dial readout for? maybe it is
hiding a set of contacts for meter pulses, that's what I really

want!

Thanks.

If you look on the underneath surface of the clear plastic box, there
will be a socket (possibly capped) if it can give pulses. IIRC they
don't give a contact closure as such, it's an 'open collector'
transistor switch.

Look here for cables:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frame...oducts/030.asp

awem

does anyone know if the remote display replicates the display on the actual
meter or does it start from zero and just count the pulses from then on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Me" wrote in message
What's that yellow cap on top of the dial readout for? maybe it

is
hiding a set of contacts for meter pulses, that's what I really

want!

Thanks.

If you look on the underneath surface of the clear plastic box,

there
will be a socket (possibly capped) if it can give pulses. IIRC

they
don't give a contact closure as such, it's an 'open collector'
transistor switch.

Look here for cables:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frame...oducts/030.asp

awem

does anyone know if the remote display replicates the display on the

actual
meter or does it start from zero and just count the pulses from then

on?

The later I believe as it just counts pulses so has no knowledge of
the starting point

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Cheers, thats what I thought. I wonder if you can set the initial start
point of the display to the same as the meter

does anyone have any other links to other places that sell these or more
info on them?

I may end up with my original plan of a really cheap cctv camera and an led
to light it up, then remotely view it on the TV in the house. Is it safe to
do this?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Me" contains these words:

Cheers, thats what I thought. I wonder if you can set the initial start
point of the display to the same as the meter

Shove it on an oscillator and wind it forwards.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:57:20 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Rob Horton" wrote in message
[...]

This type of meter can be hooked up to a transponder for remote reading
(by a suitably equipped van driving down the road say), it is not
currently configured like that. The ones that are have a transponder
attached and connected (IIRC via the yellow plug or a similar one under
neath).
BUT:
The apparatus is not yours (even though it's in
a box you own and on your land). If you wish to monitor your gas
consumption then you could fit or have fitted a secondary meter, belonging
to you on the pipes belonging to you.