Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Default gas smell from a plastic vent connected to the gas meter

Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman1

wrote in message
oups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

Normally we don't answer homeowners questions here, but this could end up
being very serious.

No, gas should be coming out of that vent, and if it is you need to call,
depending on your area, the gas company or their certified repair people.

You didn't mention if this was natural gas or propane. You call it a 'meter'
but you may be mistaking it for a regulator. If you have propane I suggest
you make the call tonight and possibly shut your supply valve off at the
propane tank. If its natural gas still make the call and get a competent
answer from those mentioned above.

Got to go, work to do;

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Mike

Thanks for your answer.

We have natural gas. I just took a look. The vent is actually on top of
the meter and connected to a circular piece of metal.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2005-12-01, Mike wrote:

We have natural gas. I just took a look. The vent is actually on top
of the meter and connected to a circular piece of metal.

That circular piece of metal is the regulator. It drops the natural
gas pressure down from the higher distribuation pressure in the street
(several psi?) to the lower pressure in your house (typically 0.25
psi). All regulators have a vent like you describe, but I don't know
whether it is normal or not for natural gas to be discharged from it.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:18:08 -0500, "Geoman1" Geo1 wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Its rather normal. The valve is a diaphram. It relieves pressure on
the meter so it can open and close smoothly. You may get a small puff
or smell each time the meter starts and stops. If it is a concern,
call your local utility to have them check it out.
Bubba

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Mike wrote:
Thanks for your answer.

We have natural gas. I just took a look. The vent is actually on top of
the meter and connected to a circular piece of metal.

Hi,
Why take chance and bother? Just call your gas company.
The regulator maybe leaking.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

The regulator has no influence on the meter other than to supply gas to it
at a lower pressure than supplied by the main, similar to an electrical
transformer. The vent allows atmospheric pressure to enter one side of the
regulator diaphragm so the regulator can supply gas to the house at a fixed
pressure above the atmosphere air pressure. NO GAS SHOULD LEAK FROM THIS
VENT. Leaking gas means the diaphragm has a pinhole puncture in it and
should be replaced. CALL YOUR LOCAL UTILITY and they will fix it, most
likely replace the entire meter/regulator set. I used to work for a gas
utility for 40 years before I retired. Call them right away.

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:18:08 -0500, "Geoman1" Geo1 wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

The vent is open to the space above the pressure sensing diaphram. The
other side of the diaphram is connected to the discharge side of the
regulator. Thus one side of the diaphram senses gas pressure and the
other side senses atmospheric pressure, allowing the regulator to
control gas pressure referenced to atmospheric pressure. Normal house
gas pressure is 1/3 to 1/2 PSI above atmospheric pressure. Normally,
the vent allows the diaphragm to flex, letting air flow in and out of
the regulator body above the diaphram, controlling the pressure as the
gas flow through the regulator changes. If the diaphram cracks, tears
or ruptures, gas is vented to the outside, which is not a good thing,
but better than having it vent inside your house.

Call the gas company as the ONLY time anything should come out of that
port is when the load changes which would only take a moment. This
hapens when the furnace or water heater comes on or shuts off. At
those times air will be flowing in or out but only in very small
amounts.

NOTE that when you put your noe right next to the vent, there will be a
SLIGHT gas smell as minute amounts of gas diffuse through the diaphram,
but not enough to make any smell more than a couple of inches away from
the vent opening, and certainly not enough to cause any flow.

Stretch

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Mike

Thanks.

I called my gas company. The technican came used a digital gas meter to
measure the amount of gas at the vent openning. The reading fluctuated
between 0 and 0.05. I don't know what the unit is. The technican said
"it's practically nothing" and don't worry.
As I smell now, I can only smell gas when I put my nose next to the
vent. But if I move away a few inches, I don't smell. (based on what
Stretch said this is normal)

Maybe what my kid smelt (which was a little further) was because of the
load changes.

Stretch's "NOTE" makes me feel much better. But some of the responses
said that there shouldn't be ANY gas out of that vent. So I am still a
bit concerned.

Do you guys think it's okay to trust what the technican said?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Mike

Actually, the technican used is probably a gas detector not a meter.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
EXT

That would be "parts per million", I think it should be well within safety
measures. Sometimes the mercapan odor they add to the gas can permeate
everything that contacts the gas and creates the smell that the nose can
recognize. I would keep check on it, as the reading did fluctuate and if
something is leaking as the load changes, it may leak more at a later time.

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks.

I called my gas company. The technican came used a digital gas meter to
measure the amount of gas at the vent openning. The reading fluctuated
between 0 and 0.05. I don't know what the unit is. The technican said
"it's practically nothing" and don't worry.
As I smell now, I can only smell gas when I put my nose next to the
vent. But if I move away a few inches, I don't smell. (based on what
Stretch said this is normal)

Maybe what my kid smelt (which was a little further) was because of the
load changes.

Stretch's "NOTE" makes me feel much better. But some of the responses
said that there shouldn't be ANY gas out of that vent. So I am still a
bit concerned.

Do you guys think it's okay to trust what the technican said?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman1

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks.

I called my gas company. The technican came used a digital gas meter to
measure the amount of gas at the vent openning. The reading fluctuated
between 0 and 0.05. I don't know what the unit is. The technican said
"it's practically nothing" and don't worry.
As I smell now, I can only smell gas when I put my nose next to the
vent. But if I move away a few inches, I don't smell. (based on what
Stretch said this is normal)

Maybe what my kid smelt (which was a little further) was because of the
load changes.

Stretch's "NOTE" makes me feel much better. But some of the responses
said that there shouldn't be ANY gas out of that vent. So I am still a
bit concerned.

Do you guys think it's okay to trust what the technican said?

Well, that small of amount isn't a problem at this moment. However, any job
I'm on that has any leaking diaphram no matter how small will be changed out
or red tagged.

Its ridiculous to say that a leak on any gas control is 'normal'. That
regulator is on the utility side and they pay for the leak, do you think
they believe its 'normal' to have hundreds of millions of these across the
country to be 'normally' leaking? Besides, its just wrong to believe that
they are suppose to leak. Proof is the testing of the lines etc. The utility
performs a leak check and if there are any leaks it aint getting started.
Also, how did this tech determine that it isn't a small crack developing in
the diaphram that may eventually get bigger?

I'm satisfied that you called the gas company, and he told you the reading,
mark it down somewhere like on the furnace service lable. Then if it starts
to smell stronger call them again and see if the PPM's went up. I don't
think your going to have a big 'rupture' since the tech looked at it, but I
personally would have demanded a new regulator installed or threaten to call
someone higher up the ladder. The other side of that regulator may have over
5 pounds of pressure, thats a lot of gas that can purge if the diaphram does
break.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Regulators breathe....you will sometimes hear them if you are around
the regulator when a large load starts or stops. The smell of gas is
probably from diffusion thru the diaphragm mixing with the air that
sits up in the regulator body between "breaths"...

That jackass gas man should have explained this to you.

If it still is bothering you call the gas company back and tell them
you dont trust the judgement of the first "tech"...or just tell them
you are really worried and would PLEASE like a second opinion.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Kitep

I've noticed you've gotten answers both ways. Maybe you should sniff the
gas vent at a couple of neighbors and see if it's happening everywhere or
just at your place.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Bubba

I think maybe you should just go sniff you neighbors.
Bubba

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:49:49 GMT, "Kitep"
wrote:

I've noticed you've gotten answers both ways. Maybe you should sniff the
gas vent at a couple of neighbors and see if it's happening everywhere or
just at your place.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Preferably at 2 AM.

wrote:

I've noticed you've gotten answers both ways. Maybe you should sniff the
gas vent at a couple of neighbors and see if it's happening everywhere or
just at your place.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks.

I called my gas company. The technican came used a digital gas meter to
measure the amount of gas at the vent openning. The reading fluctuated
between 0 and 0.05. I don't know what the unit is. The technican said
"it's practically nothing" and don't worry.
As I smell now, I can only smell gas when I put my nose next to the
vent. But if I move away a few inches, I don't smell. (based on what
Stretch said this is normal)

Maybe what my kid smelt (which was a little further) was because of the
load changes.

Stretch's "NOTE" makes me feel much better. But some of the responses
said that there shouldn't be ANY gas out of that vent. So I am still a
bit concerned.

Do you guys think it's okay to trust what the technican said?

Call your homeowner's insurance company and ask them if they are concerned
about the leak. Then call your mortgage company and ask them if they are
concerned about the leak.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:15:52 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of
gas smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the
gas meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

Do call your utility company. While I doubt if it is going to be a
problem, it is still a safety concern and you should have it checked, if it
would turn out to be a safety concern and you don't check ..... Not good.

I agree. I do believe those vents are intended to release a little
pressure once and awhile, but why take chances. This belongs to your
gas company and there should not be a charge for checking it. If
there is a leak, you could have a dangerous situation, AND be paying
for gas that you are not using. Dont delay, call them now. They
should be open 24/7. Please let us all know what they determine.

Mark

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On 1 Dec 2005 06:21:34 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

Thanks.

I called my gas company. The technican came used a digital gas meter to
measure the amount of gas at the vent openning. The reading fluctuated
between 0 and 0.05. I don't know what the unit is. The technican said
"it's practically nothing" and don't worry.
As I smell now, I can only smell gas when I put my nose next to the
vent. But if I move away a few inches, I don't smell. (based on what
Stretch said this is normal)

Maybe what my kid smelt (which was a little further) was because of the
load changes.

Stretch's "NOTE" makes me feel much better. But some of the responses
said that there shouldn't be ANY gas out of that vent. So I am still a
bit concerned.

Do you guys think it's okay to trust what the technican said?

I see my last reply came late. I did not see the whole thread at
first.

If the guy is from the hgas company, I am sure they know what they are
doing. I should mention that natural gas has no odor. What you smell
is added to the gas so that people know if gas is leaking. That
odorant tends to cling. You said he noticed a very slight leakage.
Well, that odor stays in the pipes. It's not gas, just the odor. I
have worked on natural gas pipes and when I completed the job, there
were left over used pipes. I always save things like that, because
thye are still useful. But months later that gas odor is still
noticable in those pipes that have been just standing in my garage in
open air.

I'd say you are fine !!!

Mark

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:57:24 -0500, "EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM
wrote:

That would be "parts per million", I think it should be well within safety
measures. Sometimes the mercapan odor they add to the gas can permeate
everything that contacts the gas and creates the smell that the nose can
recognize. I would keep check on it, as the reading did fluctuate and if
something is leaking as the load changes, it may leak more at a later time.

Just curious, what is mercapan?
Yes, I know it's the odorant in the gas, but what I am asking, WHAT
IS THIS SUBSTANCE?

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman1

Can you believe these replies?
I'm surprised more people aren't dead!

Rich

Preferably at 2 AM.

wrote:

I've noticed you've gotten answers both ways. Maybe you should sniff the
gas vent at a couple of neighbors and see if it's happening everywhere or
just at your place.

wrote in message
groups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:37:58 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Never assume that!
I found a meter inside a home leaking 2 wks ago. I was there on a
clean and check on 2 furnaces in the home. As soon as the customer
opened the front door I could smell it. No big leak. I can just smell
gas leaks very easily. Went and got my electronic and some bubbles.
Found it at the bottom of the meter dial cover in the basement.
Bubbles coming out at a slow steady rate. Called the gas company. He
came while I was still there. He had a digital and bubbles. He found
the same leaks and said, "Ah, thats nothing. This is an outside meter
(but it was IN the home) and they will leak a small amount like that.
Nothing to worry about".
What the F(*$ !! I wasnt about to argue. I let him go. Called again.
They sent out another guy. This one I knew. He came in, found the leak
and said, "Yup, it leaks and needs to be changed. I'll be right back".
He said the other guy was just stupid or lazy.
He changed it and all is well now.
Bubba

I should mention that natural gas has no odor. What you smell
is added to the gas so that people know if gas is leaking. That
odorant tends to cling. You said he noticed a very slight leakage.
Well, that odor stays in the pipes. It's not gas, just the odor. I
have worked on natural gas pipes and when I completed the job, there
were left over used pipes. I always save things like that, because
thye are still useful. But months later that gas odor is still
noticable in those pipes that have been just standing in my garage in
open air.

I'd say you are fine !!!

Mark

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Noon-Air

They must think that their gas leak problem is from eating at Taco Bell

"Geoman1" Geo1 wrote in message
Can you believe these replies?
I'm surprised more people aren't dead!

Rich

Preferably at 2 AM.

wrote:

I've noticed you've gotten answers both ways. Maybe you should sniff the
gas vent at a couple of neighbors and see if it's happening everywhere or
just at your place.

wrote in message
egroups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Kitep posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I've noticed you've gotten answers both ways. Maybe you should sniff the
gas vent at a couple of neighbors and see if it's happening everywhere or
just at your place.

I ain't sniffin NO neighbors gas vent. If that's your kink fine - but it
stinks to me...

--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

How to get rid of burning plastic smell many Home Repair 3 November 26th 05 06:30 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Vent question Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 17th 03 12:52 AM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM