Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

Default gas smell from a plastic vent connected to the gas meter

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:18:08 -0500, "Geoman1" Geo1 wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Today, while my kid was playing outside. He noticed a little bit of gas
smell coming out of a little plastic pipe/vent connected to the gas
meter. On top of the plastic thing, it labels "gas vent". It has a
metal screen inside.

What is this "gas vent" for? Is it normal for it to have some gas
smell?

Normally we don't answer homeowners questions here, but this could end up
being very serious.

No, gas should be coming out of that vent, and if it is you need to call,
depending on your area, the gas company or their certified repair people.

You didn't mention if this was natural gas or propane. You call it a 'meter'
but you may be mistaking it for a regulator. If you have propane I suggest
you make the call tonight and possibly shut your supply valve off at the
propane tank. If its natural gas still make the call and get a competent
answer from those mentioned above.

Got to go, work to do;

Its rather normal. The valve is a diaphram. It relieves pressure on
the meter so it can open and close smoothly. You may get a small puff
or smell each time the meter starts and stops. If it is a concern,
call your local utility to have them check it out.
Bubba