Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
EXT

Default gas smell from a plastic vent connected to the gas meter

That would be "parts per million", I think it should be well within safety
measures. Sometimes the mercapan odor they add to the gas can permeate
everything that contacts the gas and creates the smell that the nose can
recognize. I would keep check on it, as the reading did fluctuate and if
something is leaking as the load changes, it may leak more at a later time.

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks.

I called my gas company. The technican came used a digital gas meter to
measure the amount of gas at the vent openning. The reading fluctuated
between 0 and 0.05. I don't know what the unit is. The technican said
"it's practically nothing" and don't worry.
As I smell now, I can only smell gas when I put my nose next to the
vent. But if I move away a few inches, I don't smell. (based on what
Stretch said this is normal)

Maybe what my kid smelt (which was a little further) was because of the
load changes.

Stretch's "NOTE" makes me feel much better. But some of the responses
said that there shouldn't be ANY gas out of that vent. So I am still a
bit concerned.

Do you guys think it's okay to trust what the technican said?