PJx

Default Gas Meter Broken - What to do???

I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

Greg O

They will replace the meter, and perhaps forget the bill for the gas you
received but not charged for, or they may give you an estimated bill on
previous years usage.
Greg

"PJx" wrote in message
I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

TURTLE

"PJx" wrote in message
I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

This is Turtle.

It just sounds like What Greg O said !

TURTLE

m Ransley

They will come out, read it, change it and estimate your bill,
probably fairly acurately. They will inpect it to see if you tamperd
with it. If you didnt all is fine. Meters break.

Joseph Meehan

PJx wrote:
I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

One way or another they will be out to fix it. They will notice the low
bills. If you call them now, you are more likely they will ignore the
missed bills or maybe calculate it in a manner that will be beneficial to
you. If you wait until they discover it and come out, they will still fix
it and will surely give you an estimated bill that will be fair or maybe
even a little high. In addition you will be hit with a sudden bill.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

George E. Cawthon

PJx wrote:
I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

It's a bit of an ethics question. Do you want to pay what
you probably owe or not? The responsibility for the meter
is the gas company to make sure that it metering correctly
and it tends to be your responsibility to make sure that it
is not measuring more than what is correct.

That aside, ethically you should tell the company it isn't
working and then go from there, probably pay the low
estimate of what you used. Or you can just say, its the
companies problem and refuse to pay. Course they might just
disconnect you.
Matt

Let me paraphrase your question:

"Hey, if I don't mention this to anyone, when the gas company
eventually discovers it, will I get billed retroactively?"

The answer is: No one here can say.

What's the matter, you feeling guilty or something? Why on earth would
you come here to ask that question.... you know what the right thing to
do is: Call the gas company. Now. You cheap ass SOB.

I would like to thank you, and others like you, for making the price I
pay for my gas higher. It's so nice of you. I bet you like to shoplift
too, don't you?

While people here may answer your supposed question differently - none
of them can supply you with a sense of right vs. wrong. You were
supposed to learn that lesson years ago; evidently your parents are
bigger scumbags then you.

Your lesson is complete now, scumbag junior. Run along.

SteveB

This is what I would do and why. I would call immediately. Nothing to do
with getting free gas, or getting soaked on an estimated usage bill a year
down the road.

You are talking about something that can kill you. Or take out your house
and the ones next to you. You have a BROKEN meter. It might start leaking
next. Get on the phone. NOW!

Steve

Matt

In a perfect world, assholes like this guy would be blown up long
before they had time to post ethics questions on usenet.

Jeff Wisnia

PJx wrote:
I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

Ten little words say it all...

There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Matt

I do so wish your parents would have known that.

Slumlord

PJx wrote:
I have a problem. My natural gas bill for the last couple of months
has been next to nothing. So I go out and check my meter and it has
locked up tight and hasn't moved for 6 weeks.

My concern is what the gas company will do.

PJ

One of my apartments has a similar situation. The gas company hasn't
scheduled a repair yet. Its been busted for over two years now.

The local gas shop (note: used to work for the local utility) is
unionized and is being "reduced" by the company. They are not exactly
being proactive in fixing stuff like broken meters.
DJ

On 7 Feb 2005 10:19:34 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Let me paraphrase your question:

"Hey, if I don't mention this to anyone, when the gas company
eventually discovers it, will I get billed retroactively?"

The answer is: No one here can say.

What's the matter, you feeling guilty or something? Why on earth would
you come here to ask that question.... you know what the right thing to
do is: Call the gas company. Now. You cheap ass SOB.

I would like to thank you, and others like you, for making the price I
pay for my gas higher. It's so nice of you. I bet you like to shoplift
too, don't you?

While people here may answer your supposed question differently - none
of them can supply you with a sense of right vs. wrong. You were
supposed to learn that lesson years ago; evidently your parents are
bigger scumbags then you.

Your lesson is complete now, scumbag junior. Run along.

Once when I was a young, poor teenager, I stopped at a gas station to
get $10 worth of fuel. When done, I shut the pump off and squeezed the
nozzle lever to empty the hose into my tank. The pump kept pumping but
the $ meter wasn't running. I admit I stole about $5 worth of
gasoline, I'll probably go to hell because of it. I guess that's all
well and good since all my friends will be there too...

DJ
Edwin Pawlowski

"SteveB" wrote in message

This is what I would do and why. I would call immediately. Nothing to do
with getting free gas, or getting soaked on an estimated usage bill a year
down the road.

You are talking about something that can kill you. Or take out your house
and the ones next to you. You have a BROKEN meter. It might start
leaking next. Get on the phone. NOW!

Steve

I'd call but not for the reasons you mentioned. The fact that the little
dial does not move has nothing to do with the meter leaking. Take a look at
how they are built, then relax a bit.

Edwin Pawlowski

"SteveB" wrote in message

I admit to maybe being ignorant of the mechanics of it, but a "broken" gas
meter just doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Steve

Broken meter means the speedometer is not working. Just like you can still
drive your car even if the needle does not move. If it was broken open and
leaking, that is extremely rare and is cause for ****ting it down.

Fred

And in this part of the world, the gas company puts a little
'stinkum' in the gas so you know when you have a leak.

Actually, it was a really stupid answer by a really stupid person.

Thanks.

Fred

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:22:36 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

I admit to maybe being ignorant of the mechanics of it, but a "broken" gas
meter just doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Steve

Broken meter means the speedometer is not working. Just like you can still
drive your car even if the needle does not move. If it was broken open and
leaking, that is extremely rare and is cause for ****ting it down.

Does anyone have this gas meter installed in their home? tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 April 22nd 05 10:12 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
water meter set aside plans dave @ stejonda UK diy 10 March 19th 04 11:59 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM