tarquinlinbin

Default Does anyone have this gas meter installed in their home?

Hello,i was wondering if anyone can recognise this type of meter i
their home?

It is a small electronic meter manufactured by Siemens. It is usually
coloured white and is designated as an E6 meter and will be metric. It
is not a credit meter,it is a prepayment meter.It has a light tan
coloured card slot module fitted on the right hand side of the meter
which takes a smart card simialr in size to a sky card. The card is
"charged" with credit by taking it to a post office or other retail
outlet where it is put in a charger module to be charged with credit
which is then tranferred to the meter when it it put in the card slot
on the meter.

This is not the other type of meter which is large mechanical type as
fitted by Transco.

If you have one of these I'd be glad to hear from you ,if possible can
you provide a picture?
tarquinlinbin

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:00:31 +0000, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

[...]

ps if you take a look at this link

http://www.siemensmetering.co.uk/ser...s/pps_over.jsp

the meter looks like the one in the middle of the banner picture

Jim

Your link does not work. I have one of these meters. What is your question.
Jim

Junior Member

It's called an E6 Electronic Prepayment meter manufactured by Siemens.

Transco do not fit these.
More than likely is United Utilities/ Onstream etc etc - depending who your gas supplier uses for their metering.

They are far better than as you say "bulky mechanical ones"
No tilt tampers and rarely go wrong - wish we fitted them!!!!
AlexW

Transco_Boo_Hiss wrote:
It's called an E6 Electronic Prepayment meter manufactured by Siemens.

Transco do not fit these.
More than likely is United Utilities/ Onstream etc etc - depending who
your gas supplier uses for their metering.

They are far better than as you say "bulky mechanical ones"
No tilt tampers and rarely go wrong - wish we fitted them!!!!

Do they still knock these out?

After working at Schlum. I was at Siemens Measurements in Failsworth who
were making these c. 10 years ago. I thought Eurometer/Gill had got a
virtual monopoly on the E6 ultrasonic market following my departure?

Alex.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexW

After working at Schlum. I was at Siemens Measurements in Failsworth who
were making these c. 10 years ago. I thought Eurometer/Gill had got a
virtual monopoly on the E6 ultrasonic market following my departure?

Alex.

yeah they are out there - like i say we dont fit them so dont have much to do with them, but i know the pre-payment module is landis & gyr and am 80% its a siemens E6. Cracking little things tho!
AlexW

Transco_Boo_Hiss wrote:
AlexW Wrote:

After working at Schlum. I was at Siemens Measurements in Failsworth
who
were making these c. 10 years ago. I thought Eurometer/Gill had got a
virtual monopoly on the E6 ultrasonic market following my departure?

Alex.

yeah they are out there - like i say we dont fit them so dont have much
to do with them, but i know the pre-payment module is landis & gyr and
am 80% its a siemens E6. Cracking little things tho!

IIRC Siemens bought L&G, shortly after I left, mainly to get into the
Quantum prepayment market I think.

It's nice to know that the huge effort put in by a lot of people in
Siemens to get the E6 design & manufacturing process right actually
still has some (even minor) relavence today (even though the factory is
long gone I think).

Are the Gill/Eurometer E6's still knocking about?

Cheers,

Alex.