Sam Lawrence

Default New(?) Home security product

I'm after a really simple home security system. Don't want to pay for
monitoring, but do want something that stops me/kids from coming home
and disturbing an intruder, perhaps alerts my neighbours / friends
etc. Plus links in to smoke detectors...

I've been looking at the new(?) BT product called Home Monitoring
which looks right up my street www.bt.com/homemonitoring Doesn't seem
to have any extortionate monitoring fees to pay, is reasonably priced
and will text me on my mobile (I think) if the place is disturbed -
also seems to be linked in some way to neighbourhood watch?..

Like the idea of one for my mum too as it has a panic button that she
could use to get my attention easily (lives a few streets away but is
fiercely independant!

Does anyone know anything about this product? Reviews or the like?
I'm about to go for it I think ... but asking here just in case of any
bad experiences.

Or do you have anything else to recommend that fits my security needs?

Sam
BigWallop

"Sam Lawrence" wrote in message
[...]

This company:

http://www.its-home-security.co.uk/DIY-Alarms.htm

do decent diy systems which will cover your needs. If you take the option
with the speech dialler unit, then you set it up to dial any telephone
number in the world and have it tell the recipient that the system has been
activated. A simple press of a number key at the remote end, acknowledges
that the call has been received before the unit then goes on to call up to
another two numbers.

The control panel has options for 24 hr interlinked fire detection units and
PA switches, so would cover that side of it for you. The BT Homesecure unit
is good, but it has been showing signs of failure in some areas of the
country, I think because of the digital technology it uses not being set up
on some of the BT exchanges yet.

Best to phone around for a couple more days and find out what else is
available before jumping in.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Jonathan Pearson

[...]

Having looked through above briefly, argos do something similar at £200,
with no ongoing monitoring

www.argos.co.uk - cat no. 701/6035

Jon

BigWallop

[...]