Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mrcheerful Mrcheerful is offline

Default Meter maids.

On 25/11/2016 12:42, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:50:00 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Changed to a new dual fuel deal a couple of months ago.

Got an email from them asking for meter readings by 9/12. Made a note to
read them just before this date. My theory being the actual usage over
the longest period is going to make any calculation to arrive at a
monthly payment more accurate.

On Wednesday, a meter reader arrived. To read just the gas meter.
This morning, one to read them both.
Monday, I suppose, one to read just the leccy one.

Every supplier we've had (I noted with interest having just switched to
E.on that we had them as a supplier 8 years ago - I'd forgotten) has been
with an online-only account where you are prompted to enter your own
meter readings.

Without fail, every submission has inevitably been followed by a meter
readers. The most recent missed us, and left a card for us to write the
reading on so he could collect it next day if we were out. This was 48
hours after submitting a reading via the website.

I can only conclude it's some sort of forgotten 1970s invented-job
scheme. It would be funny if we weren't paying for it.

it is not universal, I moved to online readings, I still get a meter
reader turn up once per year.
Apparently there is a legal requirement for an actual visit/inspection
once every two years.