Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mrcheerful Mrcheerful is offline

Default Meter maids.

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:33:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter
readings by the 9th of next month.

Energy prices are going up - possibly they want as early a reading as
possible to get all your Christmas consumption charged at a new higher
rate?

If I've read the paperwork correctly (Flipper set up this deal for me)
I'm on a fixed rate for a year. And not even 3 months into it.

Obviously, I want the monthly payment calculated as accurately as
possible, and expect that to be trimmed when they get the second
readings after changing to them - the first being at changeover time.

Being retired, my gas consumption isn't influenced by public holidays,
etc. It may even be lower at Xmas since I've got a housefull. ;-)

Flipper is 25 quid a year!

But only if they save you at least 50 quid a year. So would do no harm to
check.

They also check you're on the best deal 4 times a year once you've joined
them.

I am surprised that anyone pays when others
pay you for using them. The very best deals can only be found by doing
your own research.

Really? Maybe if you can research as well as a pro. Not everyone can - or
can be bothered. If you use the comparison sites, they get a hidden
commission if you change.
Flipper can negotiate a better deal for you by not taking that commission.

I found that all the sites use confusing tactics to calculate your bill
for the next year. The only way to compare different tariffs is to put
in figures that actually apply to your usage. I use 12000kwh gas, and
12000kwh electric as calculation figures, plus the standing charges, add
it up and take off any DD charge rebates to get comparable figures from
the most likely contenders. At present the best deal for me is the BG
collective fix till feb 2017 and the transfer site gave me thirty quid
as well.
For comparison: my charges: Electric:8.54p/kwh
Gas:2.85p/kwh
St.ch.£138/year for both
£30 DD discount

There are some slightly cheaper gas deals around, but then the electric
is vastly more.