Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter maids.

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

I'm on a fixed eon tariff until March that is no longer available, the
cheapest alternative I can see out there at the moment is £43/year more
than I'm paying.

Just checked again with energylinx (rather than moneysavingclub) and the
cheapest fixed dual fuel tariff available now is £66/year more than my
fix due to expire end of March.

I can find a fixed gas tariff £26/year cheaper and a variable
electricity tariff only £34/year more expensive, but no fixed
electricity tariff better than £60/year more expensive.

So if retail gas prices are down, presumably wholesale prices are too?
Given how much of our electricity comes from gas what, other than
renewables, is pushing electricity prices up?

I'd guess most energy is priced in dollars. With the pound down against
the dollar, any current purchases will cost more. Most large suppliers buy
well in advance, so price rises due to that could take some time to filter
through.

--
*I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it..

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd guess most energy is priced in dollars. With the pound down
against the dollar, any current purchases will cost more. Most large
suppliers buy well in advance

I'm sure that's true.

so price rises due to that could take some time to filter through.

Why does that result in falling gas prices (I can see a two year fixed
tariff that's cheaper than a year ago) but rising electricity prices
(all tariffs more expensive than a year ago)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 16:00, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd guess most energy is priced in dollars. With the pound down
against the dollar, any current purchases will cost more. Most large
suppliers buy well in advance

I'm sure that's true.

so price rises due to that could take some time to filter through.

Why does that result in falling gas prices (I can see a two year fixed
tariff that's cheaper than a year ago) but rising electricity prices
(all tariffs more expensive than a year ago)?

electricity is coming from renewables

Blame that **** harry with his solar panels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd guess most energy is priced in dollars. With the pound down
against the dollar, any current purchases will cost more. Most large
suppliers buy well in advance

I'm sure that's true.

so price rises due to that could take some time to filter through.

Why does that result in falling gas prices (I can see a two year fixed
tariff that's cheaper than a year ago) but rising electricity prices
(all tariffs more expensive than a year ago)?

Wish I knew. Prices seem to go up quick enough, but are very slow to come
down. Of course electricity in the UK comes from a variety of energy
sources, and also has surcharges on what we pay to subsidise some forms of
generation?

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I'm on a fixed eon tariff until March that is no longer available, the
cheapest alternative I can see out there at the moment is £43/year more
than I'm paying.

Just checked again with energylinx (rather than moneysavingclub) and the
cheapest fixed dual fuel tariff available now is £66/year more than my
fix due to expire end of March.

I can find a fixed gas tariff £26/year cheaper and a variable
electricity tariff only £34/year more expensive, but no fixed
electricity tariff better than £60/year more expensive.

So if retail gas prices are down, presumably wholesale prices are too?
Given how much of our electricity comes from gas what, other than
renewables, is pushing electricity prices up?

I'd guess most energy is priced in dollars.

That's unlikely with what is used to generate electricity in the UK.

With the pound down against
the dollar, any current purchases will cost more. Most large suppliers buy
well in advance, so price rises due to that could take some time to filter
through.

--
*I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it..

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-10, grjw wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

[15 lines snipped]

So if retail gas prices are down, presumably wholesale prices are too?
Given how much of our electricity comes from gas what, other than
renewables, is pushing electricity prices up?

I'd guess most energy is priced in dollars.

That's unlikely with what is used to generate electricity in the UK.

Go and look up the word "fungible".

Don’t need to, I knew what it meant before you were even born
and it isnt the reason for the current hike in electricity prices.
That is due to the stupid 'renewable' scam.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 53rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.