Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default £2200 for fastening 10 bolts

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 11:15:13 -0000, Muddymike wrote:

On 08/11/2016 19:30, ARW wrote:
On 08/11/2016 17:15, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.
I can't see VAT on that invoice.
Am I missing something?

House address? Takes about 10 minutes to find.

But if the total bill is for £2172.75 and only £472.50 is for labour
then how the **** is it £2200 for fastening 10 bolts?

Giggle!

Mike

They're Alfa bolts, tightened precisely using overpriced tooling.

--
My wife doesn't surf the net, she paddles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 08:52:15 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Good job you have loads of money

I bet the car's not worth that much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:45:18 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 21:39:50 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyo
nder.co.uk escribió:

But if the total bill is for £2172.75 and only £472.50 is for labour
then how the **** is it £2200 for fastening 10 bolts?

Who cares?

2200 quid for fixing a 12 year old car worth 500 quid at most is
madness.

It is 9 years old and worth £5000.

Yes of course it is.

We Buy Any Car must have made a mistake at £1,700 then.

Mind I suppose it is really worth £3,900 now with the £2,200 you have spent on
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 20:23:57 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

nder.co.uk escribió:

But if the total bill is for £2172.75 and only £472.50 is for labour
then how the **** is it £2200 for fastening 10 bolts?

Who cares?

2200 quid for fixing a 12 year old car worth 500 quid at most is
madness.

It is 9 years old and worth £5000.

Webuyanyold**** says £1000...

Yes, you are right.

£5000 is 2014 Corsa money.
http://ebay.eu/2fB3itt

Mine is only worth about £3000.
http://ebay.eu/2fRmc0x

I think it is the low mileage that makes yours worth so much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

Easy enough to follow him.

And in America, you can easily look that up.

And why would you care if people knew your reg and your address?

--
When you own Llamas... spit happens
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Good job you have loads of money

I bet the car's not worth that much.

It is worth about the same at a 5 year old Fiesta.

http://bit.ly/2cLqcxx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 22:11:14 UTC, Judith wrote:

I bet the car's not worth that much.

It is worth about the same at a 5 year old Fiesta.

http://bit.ly/2cLqcxx

Approx £1,700 then

It must be the only car where a component on it is worth more than the entire machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Judith wrote

I bet the car's not worth that much.

It is worth about the same at a 5 year old Fiesta.

http://bit.ly/2cLqcxx

Approx £1,700 then

It must be the only car where a component
on it is worth more than the entire machine.

Nope, plenty of examples of that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 05:05:08 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Judith wrote

I bet the car's not worth that much.

It is worth about the same at a 5 year old Fiesta.

http://bit.ly/2cLqcxx

Approx £1,700 then

It must be the only car where a component
on it is worth more than the entire machine.

Nope, plenty of examples of that.

Agreed.

£1300 for this.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/i...layers/rsx-gs9

£230 CB radio + £50 amp + £50 antenna.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw4eM7xWQAAztHw.jpg

+ Garmin Nuvicam at £300 and our lass's Samsung Chavphone at £600..

= £2530 or £830 more than the car is worth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

Every time I go along a residential street I see cars in driveways no
one covers their number plates. I don't understand how connecting a car
registration to an address is helping criminal activity.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

Every time I go along a residential street I see cars in driveways no
one covers their number plates. I don't understand how connecting a car
registration to an address is helping criminal activity.

Mike

judith once said that he would report my reg number to Humberside plod in connection with hanging around school entrances, drug deals and ram raiding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2016 07:06, Simon Mason wrote:

£230 CB radio + £50 amp + £50 antenna.

That would be £50 for an illegal amp even when CB was legal.
Does anyone use CB these days when you can pick-up PMR kit for nowt that
works better or do you talk to yourself?
(I have a couple of PMR sets in a biscuit tin with some batteries left
over from the cold war threats of EMP were real).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

Every time I go along a residential street I see cars in driveways no
one covers their number plates. I don't understand how connecting a car
registration to an address is helping criminal activity.

Mike

judith once said that he would report my reg number to Humberside plod in connection with hanging around school entrances, drug deals and ram raiding.

How does that apply to hiding a link between your reg and address??

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 09:56:34 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/11/2016 07:06, Simon Mason wrote:

£230 CB radio + £50 amp + £50 antenna.

That would be £50 for an illegal amp even when CB was legal.

"As of 8 December 2006, a licence is no longer required to own or operate a C.B. Radio providing it complies with one of the 3 type approval conditions currently permitted by Ofcom:[5] FM only, 4 watts power output and operating on either or both UK and CEPT (EU) 27 MHz bands only."

So my 100W amp is illegal, but OFCOM don't give a toss these days, unless they get a complaint. We had a pirate on 90.5MHz for 1.5 years, people knew where he was but he was never done for it.

Does anyone use CB these days when you can pick-up PMR kit for nowt that
works better or do you talk to yourself?

CB on 27 MHz around here is much more active than the 2m 144MHz ham band, PMR on
440 MHz is only a 500m radius and during some tropo last summer I was receiving French stations on 27 MHz AM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:49 UTC, rick wrote:
On 08/11/2016 16:52, Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

The labour is only a portion of that ... £472
You are paying for fitting of subframe, adjusting tracking, fitting
handbrake
A lot more than just tightening 10 bolts

I saved loads today as I fitted this badge all by myself.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw5aTgsXcAA8kSL.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Simon Mason wrote

£230 CB radio + £50 amp + £50 antenna.

That would be £50 for an illegal amp even when CB was legal.
Does anyone use CB these days

Truck drivers and RVs still do.

when you can pick-up PMR kit for nowt that works better

But dont allow you to talk to anyone who happens to be closeish.

or do you talk to yourself? (I have a couple of PMR sets in a biscuit tin
with some batteries left over from the cold war threats of EMP were
real).

And you can't talk to anyone else using them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2016 18:14, Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 17:29:37 UTC, jim wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" Wrote in message:
Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.
I can't see VAT on that invoice.
Am I missing something?

It's a small garage?
--
Jim K

Could be.
A+A has about 20 staff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwwl2qTWQAAnidl.jpg

Now we really do know your exact address !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2016 17:56, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It's called a torque wrench. My garage uses them as do proper garages.

It's more likely that they just use an air-powered impact gun on
wheelnuts and suspension bolts. Everyone else seems to.
And then finish off with an extra heave on a bar about 3 feet long
'to be sure, to be sure'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

142 Tranby lane
Anlaby
Hull
HU10 7EJ

According to the A + A invoice.

Does the car have a tracker and immobiliser ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 15:57:04 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 09/11/2016 17:56, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It's called a torque wrench. My garage uses them as do proper garages.

It's more likely that they just use an air-powered impact gun on
wheelnuts.

Tyres On The Drive used one, sheared off the wheel bolt and it costs me £350 for a new hub as they couldn't get it out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce4eTAqWwAEfe5b.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:01:33 UTC, Andrew wrote:

142 Tranby lane
Anlaby
Hull
HU10 7EJ

It is NOT in Hull - this is the correct address.

142 Tranby Lane
Anlaby
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU10 7EJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:49 UTC, rick wrote:
On 08/11/2016 16:52, Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

The labour is only a portion of that ... £472
You are paying for fitting of subframe, adjusting tracking, fitting
handbrake
A lot more than just tightening 10 bolts

I saved loads today as I fitted this badge all by myself.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw5aTgsXcAA8kSL.jpg

Pity its ****ed that it has faded so badly in such a short time
even in that soggy little frigid island where the sun never shines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2016 15:42, Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Simon Mason wrote

£230 CB radio + £50 amp + £50 antenna.

That would be £50 for an illegal amp even when CB was legal.
Does anyone use CB these days

Truck drivers and RVs still do.

when you can pick-up PMR kit for nowt that works better

But dont allow you to talk to anyone who happens to be closeish.

or do you talk to yourself? (I have a couple of PMR sets in a biscuit
tin with some batteries left over from the cold war threats of EMP
were real).

And you can't talk to anyone else using them.

I suggest you find out what they do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 15:57:04 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 09/11/2016 17:56, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It's called a torque wrench. My garage uses them as do proper garages.

It's more likely that they just use an air-powered impact gun on
wheelnuts.

Tyres On The Drive used one, sheared off the wheel bolt and it costs me
£350 for a new hub as they couldn't get it out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce4eTAqWwAEfe5b.jpg

How much have you spent on that car in total now, not counting petrol etc ?

Spent **** all on my Hyundai bought new, just a windscreen
wiper arm which some ****wit kid deliberately broke off, in 10 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:47:00 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw5aTgsXcAA8kSL.jpg

Pity its ****ed that it has faded so badly in such a short time
even in that soggy little frigid island where the sun never shines.

Wrong - it gets a lot of hammer in places like Spain and The Balkans where I spend most of May/June/July until the chavs get let off work at the salt mines.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwxMzq5WEAAygdS.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 18:16:48 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Tyres On The Drive used one, sheared off the wheel bolt and it costs me
£350 for a new hub as they couldn't get it out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce4eTAqWwAEfe5b.jpg

How much have you spent on that car in total now, not counting petrol etc ?

Off the top of my head.

Two power steering pumps and racks £2500
Subframe £2200.
Alternator, water pump and belts £1000
Three camchains £ £2400
Suspension parts, springs, dampers, arms etc £2000
Clutch £1000
Body work after our lass pranged it £1500
Plugs, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, radio fitting and light bulbs £600

So around - £13200, which is what I paid for it and new it was £25000, so I have saved £1400 on the new price.

Spent **** all on my Hyundai bought new, just a windscreen
wiper arm which some ****wit kid deliberately broke off, in 10 years.

Yebbut - you get to drive this though.

http://bit.ly/2fV4usQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dennis@home wrote
Simon Mason wrote

£230 CB radio + £50 amp + £50 antenna.

That would be £50 for an illegal amp even when CB was legal. Does anyone
use CB these days

Truck drivers and RVs still do.

when you can pick-up PMR kit for nowt that works better

But dont allow you to talk to anyone who happens to be closeish.

or do you talk to yourself? (I have a couple of PMR sets in a biscuit
tin with some batteries left over from the cold war threats of EMP were
real).

And you can't talk to anyone else using them.

I suggest you find out what they do.

I know what they do. You wont find anyone else in a truck or RV has one,
stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hopefully if someone made up that sort of ****, the police would do them for wasting their time.

--
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation a
"Why is it doing that?", "Where the hell are we?", and "Oh ****!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.
I can't see VAT on that invoice.
Am I missing something?

It's a small garage?
--
Jim K

Could be.
A+A has about 20 staff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwwl2qTWQAAnidl.jpg

Now we really do know your exact address !!

Unless you're planning on raping him, what does this information give you?

--
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."
- From an old carrier sailor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Should have DIY.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwSqDjXUAA8rwH.jpg

Now everybody will know the reg of your car.

Everyone I drive past knows mine!

Mike

Yep - but they don't know where you live.

142 Tranby lane
Anlaby
Hull
HU10 7EJ

According to the A + A invoice.

Does the car have a tracker and immobiliser ?.

More importantly, do they work? Remember, the subframe fell apart....

--
Stress is the conflict which occurs when your mind prevents your body from beating the living daylights out of whoever got in your way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2016 19:05, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 18:16:48 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Tyres On The Drive used one, sheared off the wheel bolt and it costs me
£350 for a new hub as they couldn't get it out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce4eTAqWwAEfe5b.jpg

How much have you spent on that car in total now, not counting petrol etc ?

Off the top of my head.

Two power steering pumps and racks £2500
Subframe £2200.
Alternator, water pump and belts £1000
Three camchains £ £2400
Suspension parts, springs, dampers, arms etc £2000
Clutch £1000
Body work after our lass pranged it £1500
Plugs, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, radio fitting and light bulbs £600

So around - £13200, which is what I paid for it and new it was £25000, so I have saved £1400 on the new price.

Bloody hell, my car is that old and has had no repairs done.
The only thing it has needed are servicing and some wiper blades.
Your car is what's known as a lemon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 20:21:48 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Two power steering pumps and racks £2500
Subframe £2200.
Alternator, water pump and belts £1000
Three camchains £ £2400
Suspension parts, springs, dampers, arms etc £2000
Clutch £1000
Body work after our lass pranged it £1500
Plugs, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, radio fitting and light bulbs £600

So around - £13200, which is what I paid for it and new it was £25000, so I have saved £1400 on the new price.

Bloody hell, my car is that old and has had no repairs done.
The only thing it has needed are servicing and some wiper blades.
Your car is what's known as a lemon.

The GM block ALFA used had a too narrow oil drip onto the camchain, meaning it stretched and put the timing out - my man fitted a wider bore and 4 years on, I still have the same chain.

Kwikfit bodged a suspension repair which trashed my power steering rack and pump 24 hours before my ferry was due - my man sorted it with 5 hours to spare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Now we really do know your exact address !!

Unless you're planning on raping him, what does this information give you?

Well, I now know he lives in Yorkshire, which probably explains why he's
so argumentative. I have no intention of looking him up, or even
sending a card at Xmas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Simon ................... ****ing Hell!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 21:35:06 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Kwikfit bodged a suspension repair which trashed my power steering
rack and pump 24 hours before my ferry was due - my man sorted it
with 5 hours to spare.

Good Grief!

Our Lass just came back from CoOp and said it felt just like a brand new car - I told her that I know what I am doing.

That chassis is superb for a start.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...g-chassis.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

Off the top of my head.

Two power steering pumps and racks £2500
Subframe £2200.
Alternator, water pump and belts £1000
Three camchains £ £2400
Suspension parts, springs, dampers, arms etc £2000
Clutch £1000
Body work after our lass pranged it £1500
Plugs, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, radio fitting and light bulbs £600

So around - £13200,

Mad. You can buy a very decent new car that size for that.

which is what I paid for it

Even madder to be spending all that on a car
that cost that much, given what its worth now.

and new it was £25000, so I have saved £1400 on the new price.

But had to fart around with all those repairs.

Corse it mad no sense to be buying something that
would need all those expensive repairs either.

Spent **** all on my Hyundai bought new, just a windscreen
wiper arm which some ****wit kid deliberately broke off, in 10 years.

Yebbut - you get to drive this though.

http://bit.ly/2fV4usQ

For what you paid you could have had a Grandeur, and
still saved heaps and had no repairs at all in the 12 years
except the car crash which presumably the insurance paid for.