Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Expansion Bolts For Railing Fastening ?

Hello,

I have the typical waist high wrought iron railing on the steps going to
my front door.

It has been fastened to the concrete via a few blank holes.
It looks like the screws they used were just fastened to the holes via a
concrete mix.

After a large number of years they have pulled out.

I can clean up the holes in the concrete using, I guess, a concrete bit
in my drill.

I think that I would like to use some type of expansion bolt made for
concrete that is recommended for jobs like this.
Is this the best approach ?

There seem to be zillions of different types available.

Anyone care to recommend a good type (& brand/style)for this ?

And, I guess, even more important, what kind to stay away from ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

When I did the same thing I used the rivet type, about 1/4" hole, insert and
smack with a hammer. I chose that one because that is what all the builders
were using at the time.

Still going strong after 15-16 years.

If you ever need to take them out you just grind off the heads.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

[...]

Hilti is the best, many styles available for the particular task.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the holes are already buggered up pretty bad a 1/2" lag shield may
be the way to go.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed, something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Saris-Anchor-K.../dp/B0037N6R9K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 16, 5:12*pm, Bob wrote:

snip

The fact that the original bolts failed makes the chances of getting a
good anchor with expansive bolts risky. If the concrete was new and
well cured it would be different. A much used safer technique these
days is to drill and clean the holes out and install stainless steel
studs bedded in epoxy. There are several companies supplying material
for this and the end result is far more permanent than Tapcons or
Redheads from a corrosion standpoint. The cost is a bit more than the
expanders, and there is a wait for cure time. Also, low temperatures
mean waiting for better weather.
This technique is frequently used for repairing rusted out toilet
mounts on slab foundations.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 7:33*pm, Joe wrote:
On May 16, 5:12*pm, Bob wrote:

snip

The fact that the original bolts failed makes the chances of getting a
good anchor with expansive bolts risky. If the concrete was new and
well cured it would be different. A much used safer technique these
days is to drill and clean the holes out and install stainless steel
studs bedded in epoxy. There are several companies supplying material
for this and the end result is far more permanent than Tapcons or
Redheads from a corrosion standpoint. *The cost is a bit more than the
expanders, and there is a wait for cure time. Also, low temperatures
mean waiting for better weather.
This technique is frequently used for repairing rusted out toilet
mounts on slab foundations.

Joe

OP-

I would concur with Joe's comments & suggestion. Expansion anchors
work by applying "expansion" forces to the concrete & can crack the
concrete if there isn't enough edge distance.

I recommend SIKA AnchorFix #1 or #3. Number 1 is super fast set, gel
in 3 to 5 minutes, cure in 1 hour. Number 3 is much slower, 1 hour
gel, 24 hour cure.

If you choose Number 1 be ready and prepared to set all the SS rods
QUICKLY....otherwise the product will harden in the mixing nozzle!
And you only get two nozzles per cartridge.

The nice thing is, they work in a standard caulk gun.

In SoCal, SIKA products are available at HD.

I would suggest minimum 3/8" SS threaded rod. www.mcmaster.com if
you cannot get it locally. Or use some fully threaded SS bolts & cut
the heads off.

As Joe mentioned, low temps will slow the cure but with the #1 this
would be an advantage.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
If the holes are already buggered up pretty bad a 1/2" lag shield may
be the way to go.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed, something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Saris-Anchor-K.../dp/B0037N6R9K

WOW! THAT'S A HIGH PRICE!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 7:33*pm, Joe wrote:
On May 16, 5:12*pm, Bob wrote:

snip

The fact that the original bolts failed makes the chances of getting a
good anchor with expansive bolts risky. If the concrete was new and
well cured it would be different. A much used safer technique these
days is to drill and clean the holes out and install stainless steel
studs bedded in epoxy. There are several companies supplying material
for this and the end result is far more permanent than Tapcons or
Redheads from a corrosion standpoint. *The cost is a bit more than the
expanders, and there is a wait for cure time. Also, low temperatures
mean waiting for better weather.
This technique is frequently used for repairing rusted out toilet
mounts on slab foundations.

Joe

I third Joe's advice. Use epoxy, not mechanical expansion.