Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do I remove Headless 1/4" lag Bolts from Concrete?

The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

cut a slot in them with a dremel and use a screwdriver?

using a left handed drill bit could back them out enough to get a pair of
vice grips on them

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom wrote:
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

Do you need to remove them for some purpose, or are you just concerned
with the busted stubs sticking up? If the latter, just grind them down
flush with a 4" angle grinder and let it go. Patch and paint as necessary.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Do you need to remove them for some purpose, or are you just concerned
with the busted stubs sticking up? If the latter, just grind them down
flush with a 4" angle grinder and let it go. Patch and paint as
necessary.

I need to remove the lags to put new flanges/lag bolts in for the new
railing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

cut a slot in them with a dremel and use a screwdriver?

using a left handed drill bit could back them out enough to get a pair of
vice grips on them

I could try that but the appear to be quite deteriorated .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:43:34 -0700, charlie wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

cut a slot in them with a dremel and use a screwdriver?

using a left handed drill bit could back them out enough to get a pair of
vice grips on them

I once had to remove anchors (nails driven in with an explosive charge)
from concrete and simply used a circular saw (w/ eye protection).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

Depends on how well they are in there. You can use an "easy out". available
at any decent hardwqare store. You drill a pilot hole, insert the easy out
and with a wrench try to turn the lag out. Once started it can come easy,
but if well stuck in the concrete it may be impossible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Take a grinder and grind them down flush. Done.

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Take a grinder and grind them down flush. Done.

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

It may solve some of the problem. Can you turn the flange 90 degrees and use
new holes? Or drill new holes in the flange at new locations?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:24:42 -0400, "Tom"
wrote:

The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

Vice-grip brand vice-grips, put on tight or very tight, then hit with
a hammer in the direction to unscrew the bolts. Especially the ones
that are bent will be able to be turned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Tom" wrote:

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Take a grinder and grind them down flush. Done.

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

No you don't. That's just what you originally planned to do. Making a
new plan is going to be a hell of a lot easier than removing the old
bolts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 8:53�am, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
Tom wrote:
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. �How do I remove whats left of the bolts? �I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? �Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

� Get a jackhammer and dig them out. Then pour new concrete.

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8

the old holes will be too detoriated by the rusty bolts expanding to
re use......

so grid off old bolts add flange and start over

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may need to put the new flanges in different spots. Grind them down and
paint over may be a lot easier than gettting the old lags out. Hammer drill
is useful for making holes in concrete.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"charlie" wrote in message

cut a slot in them with a dremel and use a screwdriver?

using a left handed drill bit could back them out enough to get a pair of
vice grips on them

I could try that but the appear to be quite deteriorated .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure there is much we can do to help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Take a grinder and grind them down flush. Done.

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it isn't working, do something else. A very wise approach.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

No you don't. That's just what you originally planned to do. Making a
new plan is going to be a hell of a lot easier than removing the old
bolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 8:44*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Tom" wrote in ....
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. *How do I remove whats left of the bolts? *I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? *Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. *It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. *Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

Yes was going to say; grind the old ones flat, mark a significant
punch hole to get drill started. Use good drill bits same size as
bolts and drill carfully, you may break off the drill bit which could
give you another problem!

OR: Grind flat, move new railing half to one inch over and drill new
holes in concrete?

Do the new railings have to have identical mounting points as the old?
Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:44:53 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote Re How Do I remove Headless 1/4"
lag Bolts from Concrete?:

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

And use plenty of oil at the tip of the drill bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

And use plenty of oil at the tip of the drill bit.

If you're going to drill them, start with something smaller. Go in there
with an 1/8" at fairly high RPM and use some pressure on it. Then open
it up with the 1/4" at a slower RPM. If you can hold it steady, even
start with a 1/16.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

The lag bolts are screwed into concrete? This doesn't make sense.

Are they actually bolts screwed into anchors that are embedded into
the concrete?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're going to drill them, start with something smaller. Go in there
with an 1/8" at fairly high RPM and use some pressure on it. Then open
it up with the 1/4" at a slower RPM. If you can hold it steady, even
start with a 1/16.

You have the right idea but if you are going to remove something as
small as 1/4 inch then you need more accuracy especially if you have
multiple bolts.

You need a magnifying glass and pin punch.

You need a drill as small as 1/32 inch

You need a very high speed stationary drill.

You use the small drill for a perfectly centered pilot.
Drill 1/8 inch deep. Then step up to the largest easy out
size for a 1/4 inch bolt. Drill all the way through if possible.
If the easy out doesn't work then keep drilling larger until
one of two things happen.

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.
2. The hole has to become oversize so that you can install the
appropriate insert to accept a 1/4 inch bolt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 10:11*pm, "Tom" wrote:
I fonly that would solve the problem. *I've got to install *flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

No, you don't. Get that out of your head right now.

Even if you get the bolts out, new bolts will not grab in the old
holes, even with new anchors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 2:37*pm, wrote:
The lag bolts are screwed into concrete? This doesn't make sense.

Are they actually *bolts screwed into anchors that are embedded into
the concrete?

They are likely driven into expanding aluminum anchors that were
driven into holes drilled in the concrete. The galvanic reaction
between the steel lag bolts and the aluminum anchors has fused them
together permanently. They will not be coming out of there without a
fight, and then the holes will not be usable afterward.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 11, 6:24*pm, "Tom" wrote:
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. *How do I remove whats left of the bolts? *I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? *Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

Why go through all the agony suggested in these replies? Buy a Harbor
Freight 3200 diamond hole saw and cut out the rusted bolts complete
with a neat core of concrete. Then get some stainless bolts, pop them
in the holes with some slow cure filled epoxy and replace your railing
exactly where you want it. The depth of cut on the hole saw may
require some chisel work to get you to the depth you want, but i've
seen building maintenance guys do this easily on broken off toilet
bolts, floor mounted partitions and the like. You may get more depth
with a Milwaukee carbide hole saw, $15 or so. You should be able to
cut a neat hole in ten or fifteen minutes, my guess. The pros do it in
around five. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two posted for all of us...

In article , "Tom" wrote:

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Take a grinder and grind them down flush. Done.

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

No you don't. That's just what you originally planned to do. Making a
new plan is going to be a hell of a lot easier than removing the old
bolts.

Geez!! Somebody said something not politically correct! Go to it Smitty. My
hero.

If they * HAVE* to be the same place the core drill them out and embed
something good with epoxy.
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 6:35�pm, Joe wrote:
On Aug 11, 6:24�pm, "Tom" wrote:

[...]

just be careful if the slab is in poor condition.

I had a steel railing rust, and replaced.

a couple years later my mom grabbed the railing in a wind storm, the
corners of the slab broke off, at the bolts.

my mom fell 10 feet but fortunately was ok....

you dont muck around with half ass fixes for key safety items.

one neighbor replaced her railing with a alunimum one, what a joke,
she slipped on ice and broke it off
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news:ndOdnVQ14NrlRj3VnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d@giganews. com...

Take a grinder and grind them down flush. Done.

I fonly that would solve the problem. I've got to install flanges, same
dimensions, over top the place where the original s stood.

No you don't. That's just what you originally planned to do. Making a
new plan is going to be a hell of a lot easier than removing the old
bolts.

Geez!! Somebody said something not politically correct! Go to it Smitty. My
hero.

If they * HAVE* to be the same place the core drill them out and embed
something good with epoxy.

Something good = stainless steel, if you ever want to remove them
without repeating this exercise. With anti-seize on the nuts.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you post a link to some pictures? There are all kinds of fasteners, and
knowing which one they are exactly would help. Are they nail ins? Lead
shielded lags? Wedge anchors? It helps to know. Not a lot of concrete
fasteners can be removed once they're in. They're designed that way.

I was a steel erection contractor for nine years. I serviced 275 different
apartment properties. I ran into many many different situations. Some were
easiest to just put a different plate on there that would just cover up the
old stuff and look like new. Other times, chisel it down, burn or cut off
the stub, and use PourStone to get an acceptable looking plug.

You can only make so much ice cream out of so much horse manure. Sometimes,
you can't get there from here, and have to find a plausible alternative.
Very seldom do you get the old fastener out and get to put a new one in the
old hole.

Keep us posted, and link to some pics if possible. I use Flickr. It's easy
and free, and one picture is worth ten thousand words.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Please send more info on tapping concrete. I'm sixty, and this is the first
I've heard about it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:40:47 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

A screw is not screwed into concrete. HMMM, novel idea in concrete...

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:30:42 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Please send more info on tapping concrete. I'm sixty, and this is the first
I've heard about it.

Steve

Please let us know when was the last time you screwed something into
concrete? don't they use some sort of insert?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 4:04�am, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:30:42 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"Tekkie�" wrote in message
posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Please send more info on tapping concrete. �I'm sixty, and this is the first
I've heard about it.

Steve

�Please let us know when was the last time you screwed something into
concrete? don't they use some sort of insert?

tapcon, although they havent been around many years, certinally not
when this railing was first installed.

secondly i have never seen a tapcon rust, dont know what they are made
of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:30:42 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Please send more info on tapping concrete. I'm sixty, and this is the
first
I've heard about it.

Steve

Please let us know when was the last time you screwed something into
concrete? don't they use some sort of insert?

That would be yesterday. I used 1/2" Redheads in a 5/8" hole. 12 of them.
I do not recall threading any concrete, but merely drilling a hole.

I could be wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:40:47 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

A screw is not screwed into concrete. HMMM, novel idea in concrete...

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...

If you go to a concrete supply house, you will see lag bolts with super
coarse thread that are screwed into a pilot hole in concrete. Then there's
TapCons, and a dozen others.

Don't get out a lot, huh?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 1:04*am, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:30:42 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
posted for all of us...

1. The hole becomes clean enough that you can chase it with a tap.

HMMM, novel idea in concrete...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Please send more info on tapping concrete. *I'm sixty, and this is the first
I've heard about it.

Steve

*Please let us know when was the last time you screwed something into
concrete? don't they use some sort of insert?

Please let us know when was the last time you screwed something into concrete?

other than Tapcons or Simpson Titen bolts (supposedly removed &
reinsertable!?)

In sound concrete this could work in OP's app but I would use them.

I would use a small rotary hammer bit to surgically drill away some of
the concrete & remove the lags.
Then I'd embed SS threaded studs in epoxy Sika AnchorFix #1 (5 min) or
#3 (1 hr)

Other post about using core drill is a good idea......

I removed three 5/8" x 10" embedded hex bolts by coring around them
with a Hilti DCM 2.0 with a 2" x 18" core bit.
Then I used setting compound (PourStone) to embed post anchors.

cheers
Bob

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...ical/titen-hd/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 7:24*pm, "Tom" wrote:
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. *How do I remove whats left of the bolts? *I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? *Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I'm about to do what my neighbor did. Note: our front porches are
pretty low - one step from the walkway and then one step to the porch.

First, he removed the old wrought iron railing, ground down the stubs
and patched the holes.

Then he built a cedar framed railing with wrought-iron balusters. The
uprights are made of ~7 foot 4 x 4's which were sunk down to the frost
line *next* to the concrete porch. The upper and lower rails are 1 x 6
so the railing has some heft to it, as well as a surface to hold a
drink or package.

An added advantage is the six inches or so of width he gained since
the railings are off to the side.

A few plantings around the sides of the porch hide the 4x4's that run
up along side the porch.

It's a really nice look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

tapcon, although they havent been around many years, certinally not
when this railing was first installed.

Then why bring it up?

secondly i have never seen a tapcon rust, dont know what they are made
of?

Do you know........................Do you have.................Are you
aware of...........

Who cares?