Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default How Do I remove Headless 1/4" lag Bolts from Concrete?

In article ,
Caesar Romano wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:44:53 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote Re How Do I remove Headless 1/4"
lag Bolts from Concrete?:

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

And use plenty of oil at the tip of the drill bit.

If you're going to drill them, start with something smaller. Go in there
with an 1/8" at fairly high RPM and use some pressure on it. Then open
it up with the 1/4" at a slower RPM. If you can hold it steady, even
start with a 1/16.