Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default How Do I remove Headless 1/4" lag Bolts from Concrete?

On Aug 12, 8:44*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Tom" wrote in ....
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. *How do I remove whats left of the bolts? *I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? *Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. *It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. *Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

Yes was going to say; grind the old ones flat, mark a significant
punch hole to get drill started. Use good drill bits same size as
bolts and drill carfully, you may break off the drill bit which could
give you another problem!

OR: Grind flat, move new railing half to one inch over and drill new
holes in concrete?

Do the new railings have to have identical mounting points as the old?
Why?