Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do I remove Headless 1/4" lag Bolts from Concrete?

On Aug 12, 6:35�pm, Joe wrote:
On Aug 11, 6:24�pm, "Tom" wrote:

The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. �How do I remove whats left of the bolts? �I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? �Some of the bolts are not broken off even with
the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

Why go through all the agony suggested in these replies? Buy a Harbor
Freight 3200 diamond hole saw and cut out the rusted bolts complete
with a neat core of concrete. Then get some stainless bolts, pop them
in the holes with some slow cure filled epoxy and replace your railing
exactly where you want it. The depth of cut on the hole saw may
require some chisel work to get you to the depth you want, but i've
seen building maintenance guys do this easily on broken off toilet
bolts, floor mounted partitions and the like. You may get more depth
with a Milwaukee carbide hole saw, $15 or so. You should be able to
cut a neat hole in ten or fifteen minutes, my guess. The pros do it in
around five. Good luck.

Joe

just be careful if the slab is in poor condition.

I had a steel railing rust, and replaced.

a couple years later my mom grabbed the railing in a wind storm, the
corners of the slab broke off, at the bolts.

my mom fell 10 feet but fortunately was ok....

you dont muck around with half ass fixes for key safety items.

one neighbor replaced her railing with a alunimum one, what a joke,
she slipped on ice and broke it off