Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default How Do I remove Headless 1/4" lag Bolts from Concrete?

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:44:53 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote Re How Do I remove Headless 1/4"
lag Bolts from Concrete?:

"Tom" wrote in message ...
The 1/4" lag bolts for the railing supports in the front concrete porch
steps have rusted away leaving headless 1/4" lag bolts imbedded in the
concrete. How do I remove whats left of the bolts? I attempted to drill
them out using an 1/8" drill bit but it could get started.

How can i remove the bolts? Some of the bolts are not broken off even
with the concrete some of them are headless and bent slightly to one side.

Tom

I would try drilling with a good high speed drill bit. It may be
sacrificial, but use one at least the same dimension as the bolts or maybe
start with something bigger then go smaller. Use a hammer and a pin punch
to get a flat surface for the drill bit to sit on.

And use plenty of oil at the tip of the drill bit.