Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Concrete & Aluminum Railing Question - Part II

For those of you following this thread, or not, I have a small deck by
my front door. It was redwood, and it is being replaced with concrete.

The wood railing has been removed, and being replaced with a powder
coated aluminum railing. The railing is small and measures appx. 8' long.

What is the best way to mount the new railing into the new concrete
after it has cured for about two weeks?

Can we (a friend will be helping me with this) simply use a masonry bit
and a drill to mount the railing to the concrete? I know that special
tools need to be used.

A friend to mine says that:

QUOTE

You are missing the point. The concrete will be the flat surface upon
which you will build the unit which you need to anchor to the
concrete foundation. It is 100% TOTALLY commonplace to sink long
bolts into the concrete for this purpose.

THERE is no single person i know who would drill into any properly
laid concrete foundation for this purpose. Even if you did -= you
woluld have to wait weeks for the cement to cure properly so that it
would work correctly.

http://www.permacolumn.com/Sturdi-Wa...FQtN5QoddRDBIw

this page shows the brackets (and there are literally tons of
different ones available) - you need to have them and the threaded
rods there ready to simply push into the soft cement. THen they dry
in place, totally secure with no chance of damage to the concrete.

I will say it again -= you SHOULD NOT DRILL into the concrete base
period!

UNQUOTE

The cement contractor said it is difficult to mount bolts into the
concrete because we don't exactly know where those bolts will go until
the concrete is poured. I don't even have the railing ordered yet.

So, help please! What would you do?

Am I safe to drill directly into the concrete? It seems this way would
be sufficient. My feeling is that surely others who have had concrete
decks, simply removed an old railing an drilled in a new one, esp. if
they go the aluminum route.

Many thanks!

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:47:09 -0700, Kate wrote:

[...]

Don't have your exact answer, I've seen many types of railings mounted
in concrete, after allowed to cure. A hole is cored and epoxy (?) is
used. (keep it in the correct position while the epoxy cures) Look
around at various "public" buildings with handicap access

Best example I found of this is he

pic

http://www.hamptonconcrete.com/files...oliccement.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I drilled a hole using a [proper bit, then installed a star bolt in the
hole to fasten the railing mounting base.(you'll have maybe three or
four being 8' long)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

After concrete cures enough. drill and install star nut. And bolt onto it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

*You can drill and hope that you don't hit a stone or rebar in either case
you would have to move your hole. Drilling is not the most secure as anchors
can become loose from excessive stresses put on the rail. I suppose an
epoxy based system would be the best in this respect. Having the bolts go
in while the concrete is soft is optimum. Even better is to have them
secured to rebar before the pour. You should contact the rail manufacturer
for a template of the bolt placement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Around here, it's done all the time. Lags & shield. You'll of course need a
masonry bit, lags & shields can be bought by the piece, not necessarily by
the box. For example:
http://www.confast.com/products/lag-shield-anchor.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Hard to say without seeing the railing and how it mounts. The photos
are about useless since they take wood posts and you are using aluminum.
I suggest picking out a railing then come back here with some specs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

That picture is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Thanks for the info., as well as the tip on epoxy. Much appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

OK, now I am feeling better about my plan. One end will be mounted to
the siding of my house, and the other two posts will each have four
holes each that will need to be drilled/mounted.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you. I love this newsgroup. I appreciate all the great info. given.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Smead wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

I made a photocopy of that item so I can look around for it. This is all very helpful. Thanks.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 19:27:09 -0700, Kate wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

P.S. The pic is named "railing hydrologic cement", so check that out.

A welding/metal shop could fabricate a steel rail from tubing.
Stronger than Aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Back in the stone age, we would take our best guess as to where the
railing mounts would be, and shove an aluminum pop can into the concrete
at that point. Once railings showed up, and the porch had sort-of cured,
we'd tug the pop cans out, and set the anchor sockets in the hole with
fast-setting cement. Probably not as strong as setting the bolts in the
original pour, but stronger than epoxy-setting the bolts in drilled holes.

I'd aim at having holes for the vertical rails to drop down into, rather
than bolting to a flat surface. Not likely the rails will ever be pulled
UP strongly, but they definitely need to be strong against sideways
forces. You can always kid-proof them with wedges in the sides of the holes.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, now I am feeling better about my plan. One end will be mounted to the
siding of my house, and the other two posts will each have four holes each
that will need to be drilled/mounted.

Here's what they use around here.

http://www.buildextapcon.com/products.asp

http://www.buildextapcon.com/TapconC...ableSizes.html

They're Blue screws made for this type of application and are available at
Home Depot/Lowes etc in the hardware aisle. Comes complete with the
appropriate concrete drill bit in the package.
For your application, I'd use the HEX HEAD: 3/16" X 2 3/4" or 1/4" X 2 3/4"

I' ve used these several times for anchoring door frame, aluminum railing
base and even (2X4 & 2X6) lumber bottom plate to concrete. They work
well.
Just drill slowly and carefully ( dont have the drill set on High speed). I
like to pull the bit out every 1/2 - 1" inch or so and suck the dust out of
the hole with a Shop Vac. Make sure the hole is "clean" before inserting
the Blu Screw and use a socket drive to turn it down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
[...]

This is excellent info. I have gotten so many great ideas that I have
my homework cut out for me. This is exactly what I am looking for to
finish the project.

I will report back in around three weeks to let everyone know how it went.

The concrete man is starting tomorrow.

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Interesting story the pop can. I am printing out all of this great
info. and giving it to a friend who will be helping me with the railing.

Many thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 1:13�am, Kate wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

�http://www.permacolumn.com/Sturdi-Wa...N7ZvsmW1pwCFQt...

[...]

Many thanks.- Hide quoted text -

neighbors upgraded to Aluminum. railings, almost useless weak , in a
fall may well break away and person fall 10 feet. these bolted to the
surface.

far better to cement in a strong railing into the slab.