Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling Aluminum and Concrete...

I get all kinds of requests... And this one has me stumped.

A customer was at a Football stadium and noticed a contractor with a
dual-headed hammer drill on a jog of some sort. It was used to make the
holes for the stadium seating.

He wants to buy one from me (not gonna happen!) but I told him I'd point him
in the right direction.

On topic portion - He swears they went through the aluminum and concrete
with the same bit and stroke and it was 100% definitely a hammer-drill when
it got to the concrete (not just spinning, but pecking in and out and
impacting the concrete).

Anyone heard of such a thing?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Lots of "hammer" drills that are switchable to turn that function on
and off in the DIY market. My dad's favorite Skill did that, he wore
that sucker out. And a sharp carbide masonry bit would probably cut
aluminum adequately to do the job, as long as it was't too thick, in
regular drill mode. So probably the thing had some kind of jig built
to take a standard drill along with maybe a template for the fastener
footprint. Shouldn't be rocket science to re-create.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:58:41 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I get all kinds of requests... And this one has me stumped.

A customer was at a Football stadium and noticed a contractor with a
dual-headed hammer drill on a jog of some sort. It was used to make the
holes for the stadium seating.

He wants to buy one from me (not gonna happen!) but I told him I'd point him
in the right direction.

On topic portion - He swears they went through the aluminum and concrete
with the same bit and stroke and it was 100% definitely a hammer-drill when
it got to the concrete (not just spinning, but pecking in and out and
impacting the concrete).

Anyone heard of such a thing?

If the guy makes a living installing stadium seating by the
thousands of seats per client visit, you'd almost have to come up with
a custom drilling jig to make the holes en masse. Your arms would be
falling off before lunch time if you didn't.

I'll bet he isn't drilling on the aluminum jig - the jig is most
likely premade with HSS bits, and the holes are used to position the
carbide concrete bit to get the holes in the right spots. No bits
hitting extra hard aggregate chunks and drifting off to one side.

I can see in my mind exactly how it would have to work...

You make a modular template that matches the seat layout, and the
various template segments have pivot points to snap/bolt together so
the bends work like the seats need - You rarely see the seats all in a
perfectly straight line, the whole row curves. Especially notable in
places with curved peristyle ends, like the Los Angeles Memorial
Colliseum (1984 Summer Olympics), the template makes the holes then
then they just drop the seats in place and grab an impact wrench.

The hard part IMHO is finding small electric hammer-drills that can
take the abuse of almost continuous running. Might even have to run
external forced air cooling into the motors to keep them from melting.
I wouldn't even try to make a multiple spindle head with an impact
mechanism.

A mobile drill rig isn't that hard to fabricate - a cart with solid
rubber casters, vertical rack, and space for some convenient ballast
like sandbags or shot bags. Could even carry the vacuum cleaner and
have a ring adapter to catch the dust around the bits as it drills.

You would have to come up with a clamp that holds the drill motor in
position in the drill-press vertical carriage, but allows for quick
changes when one drill motor dies so you can quickly swap in a spare.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They are probably using air powered drills. And they work for a long time
in mining operations, so you are not going to have a problem drilling a
bunch of shallow holes. And Why would he be drilling aluminum? they would
be drilling the concrede a hitting some hard rebar, which is a lot harder to
drill than aluminum or concrete. The aluminum is as you say, a jig fixture.
And the holes are maybe 3-4" deep at most. How much force does the chair
mount have to take?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I get all kinds of requests... And this one has me stumped.

A customer was at a Football stadium and noticed a contractor with a
dual-headed hammer drill on a jog of some sort. It was used to make the
holes for the stadium seating.

He wants to buy one from me (not gonna happen!) but I told him I'd point
him in the right direction.

On topic portion - He swears they went through the aluminum and concrete
with the same bit and stroke and it was 100% definitely a hammer-drill
when it got to the concrete (not just spinning, but pecking in and out and
impacting the concrete).

Anyone heard of such a thing?

I have seen hucksters at trade shows selling carbide tipped hammer bits as
able to drill anything. A fresh sharp one should be able to drill aluminum
and then concrete ok. I have drilled mild steel in a pinch with one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

A masonry drill is nothing more than a carbide spade drill holder with mild
steel shank and flutes. If it's sluggish in aluminum, grind a bit of relief
on the carbide insert.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I get all kinds of requests... And this one has me stumped.

A customer was at a Football stadium and noticed a contractor with a
dual-headed hammer drill on a jog of some sort. It was used to make the
holes for the stadium seating.

He wants to buy one from me (not gonna happen!) but I told him I'd point him
in the right direction.

On topic portion - He swears they went through the aluminum and concrete
with the same bit and stroke and it was 100% definitely a hammer-drill when
it got to the concrete (not just spinning, but pecking in and out and
impacting the concrete).

Anyone heard of such a thing?

dual headed as in this https://www.dualdrill.com or twin spindle?

I'm guessing the jog is a jig, and the holes would already be in it
and if the jig sat on top of the seat legs the holes were most likely
already in them too, so the concrete would be the only thing that
needed drilling. OR.... can you find out more info?

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randy" wrote in message
CLIP
dual headed as in this https://www.dualdrill.com or twin spindle?

I'm guessing the jog is a jig, and the holes would already be in it
and if the jig sat on top of the seat legs the holes were most likely
already in them too, so the concrete would be the only thing that
needed drilling. OR.... can you find out more info?

Thank You,
Randy

Thank YOU Randy...

Dual as in twin spindle... Whether it be a single gearbox with one input
and two output chucks OR two side-by-side drills that can get close
enough...

Jog is supposed to be jig... But speel cheek dodn't werk I guees.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Calif Bill" writes:

They are probably using air powered drills. And they work for a long time
in mining operations, so you are not going to have a problem drilling a
bunch of shallow holes.

Agreed. Air powered drill; and external compressors. The
air exhaust will help keep the work area clear....

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:06:14 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
CLIP
dual headed as in this https://www.dualdrill.com or twin spindle?

I'm guessing the jog is a jig, and the holes would already be in it
and if the jig sat on top of the seat legs the holes were most likely
already in them too, so the concrete would be the only thing that
needed drilling. OR.... can you find out more info?

Thank You,
Randy

Thank YOU Randy...

Dual as in twin spindle... Whether it be a single gearbox with one input
and two output chucks OR two side-by-side drills that can get close
enough...

Jog is supposed to be jig... But speel cheek dodn't werk I guees.

Then this sounds to me like it would be right in your line of work. If
it were me I'd want a lever I could flip WHILE drilling so I could
start in drill mode (through the alum, if needed) then switch to
hammer mode without stopping the drill.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randy" wrote in message
CLIP
Then this sounds to me like it would be right in your line of work. If
it were me I'd want a lever I could flip WHILE drilling so I could
start in drill mode (through the alum, if needed) then switch to
hammer mode without stopping the drill.

It is absolutely right up my alley... 95% of it anyhow. the only thing we
don't do is hamemr drill. If he could use a different type of masonary bit
to make the holes, then I'd be set... But the impact of a hammerdrill is
not something I mess with. we are more of a machinig/drilling supplier than
a rough work supplier. This is what I consider rough work. They won't be
looking for 0.001" tolerances or less.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Drilling holes in aluminum? [email protected] Home Repair 16 September 2nd 08 06:40 AM
drilling aluminum AE Todd Metalworking 12 November 7th 07 04:29 AM
Drilling aluminum Charlie Bress Home Repair 9 March 12th 07 03:53 PM
drilling aluminum Toller Home Repair 10 September 7th 06 04:27 AM
Drilling Thru Aluminum Quest. ? Robert11 Home Repair 11 February 12th 06 11:45 PM